Einstein was a normal guy!!

stingray78

I agree with Klaynos, he was a one-in-a-kind individual.

Even his brain was physically different than a normal humans brain is.

To even associate him with us lowly people is...HERESY!

Just joking, but really, there's no use writing about a person as if they were just a regular, when they most definitely weren't.

In a physical sense, yes , he was a normal guy (ignore his hairs for a moment). But on the mental sense, he wasn't actually quite quite ordinary.

And I actually disagree with Klaynos. Disregarding the fact that he failed on unification (failure: another fact that makes him human:-)), a lot of changes have happened in physics since him, but his merits stand on the fact that he was one of those people who triggered this change.

no no no, he was an unquestionable god and since him physics hasn't changed at all.

I think Klaynos' post was in jest.

Many people on here simply try to quote what Einstein said about this or that and take that as the absolute truth. Well, it simply does not work like that. We have, thanks to the hard work of many many people discovered things about the workings of nature that Einstein did not know. Even, things about special and general relativity.

Einstein has not had the final word on modern physics.

One has to try to place Einstein in the context of history. The need to develop the atomic bomb, with the fate of the world hanging on a thread, shifted the direction of physics from pure science to the needs of military applied science. Particle accelerators were part of that push. The atom smasher was going to make the perfect weapon being more focused causing less bulk damage. This shifted physics into another direction away from the more common sense fundamentals of pure peacetime science. This is why Einstein could not complete his goal. Physics was trying to back calculate pure physics from applied or manufacturing physics, instead of the other way around. This can defy common sense adding new parameters that still, to this day, make the unification of force tough to close. The problem has to do with math illusions being used to generate synthetic parameters more appropriate for the production area.

Let me explain this with an example. There is an abstract artist called Escher who did an abstraction called the stairway to nowhere, ironically, about this time. It is a picture of a staircase that always appear to go up even though it is a loop that closes on itself. This can not exist in the real world but can on the canvas. One way to express math it to plot it on a graph. Escher essentially plotted some trick math on a 2-D canvas. If we could translate his stairway to nowhere plot into a set of integrated math equations, one would have a math expression for an illusion. This will defy common sense, but since the math adds up it may become a cornerstone of physics.

Escher's math plot abstraction should have raised a red flag, since it was timely, in terms of the divergence of physics that was just beginning. Using math conclusions that can defy common sense, physics began to build new wings in all directions. Einstein was not sure how to get along in the sandbox, building sand castles along with the other physicists, using these new assumptions. He was trying to play nice, where the rules allow one to defy common sense with math. But doing so he lost that unique common sense that had allowed some of his earlier inventions.

I don't blame Einstein, since he appeared to be too nice of a guy to slap some common sense into the military applications physics. They had the money. From the point of view of practical science, the new way was the way to go, since practical results are the goal, regardless of how you get there. If spitting into the vat makes it work better, then do that because practical results were needed, yesterday. Although the spit is needed for the practical requirements of production, it may not be natural. Maybe mother nature doesn't spit into the vat, but she will have to, after this, because we need that vat even better, tomorrow. Einstein, trying to play nice, tried to get mother nature to spit, but she wouldn't.

Physics needs to discuss the Escher plot of a trick math. I am not saying we need to do away with production abstractions since they are needed on the manufacturing floor. But we need to bud off a branch of pure physics with the requirement no math tricks are allowed. One would have to go back to before the divergence, when all of physics was on the same page and start from there being careful we are not adding production tricks.

One has to try to place Einstein in the context of history. The need to develop the atomic bomb, with the fate of the world hanging on a thread, shifted the direction of physics from pure science to the needs of military applied science.
AFAIK Einstein didn't really play much of a role in the development of the atomic bomb. His [math]E=mc^2[/math] only showed the huge amount of energy stored in mass, but only showed it.

Einstein was not unique at all...

Here is his identical twin who instead opted for chemistry:

In a physical sense he was like the others. He had the exact same organs that we do, two hands two legs and everything a normal human being should have. But he was unique on a mental sense!

BTW, a truly unique scientist, physically and kinda mentally too, would be Hawking.

In a physical sense, yes , he was a normal guy (ignore his hairs for a moment). But on the mental sense, he wasn't actually quite quite ordinary.

I once had the good fortune to spend part of a day with Eric Rogers, who had been Einstein's colleague and neighbor at Princeton. So, of course, I quizzed him at length about all of Einstein's eccentricities. Dr. Rogers said that, whenever visitors came (particularly the media), Einstein would turn his sweater inside-out and muss his hair. When the visitors left, Einstein would comb his hair back in place. Rogers thought all this was the doing of Einstein's wife who worked hard at promoting her husband's career.

I've read some of his writings, mostly his letters. He excelled in that area as well...not just the technical writing, which he was good at, but the thinking about various issues etc. Plus he could be funnier than hell.

I once had the good fortune to spend part of a day with Eric Rogers, who had been Einstein's colleague and neighbor at Princeton. So, of course, I quizzed him at length about all of Einstein's eccentricities. Dr. Rogers said that, whenever visitors came (particularly the media), Einstein would turn his sweater inside-out and muss his hair. When the visitors left, Einstein would comb his hair back in place. Rogers thought all this was the doing of Einstein's wife who worked hard at promoting her husband's career.

Oddly enough, I tend to do this in school quite frequently so people would leave me alone...

I'm sure he was... I guess he was brilliant because he wasn't so worried with shallow stuff. He was just concentrating on science and how stuff work. And that curiosity made him answer complex questions with simple answers... as everything is relative.

Einstein was focused on different things, and we know, the particular size in one part of his brain contributed a lot :D

Oddly enough, I tend to do this in school quite frequently so people would leave me alone...

Why, it's worked for me too. I haven't seen these people in years. Hehehe.