I remember on SFN...

Reaper

Alright, this thread is dedicated to listing down all of the events and things that ever happened since the time you were on SFN. Think of it as some sort of tribute to all the good, the bad, the ugly, and the comical things that are and have ever occurred on this site.

You can list anything you want, from memorable members to classic quotes to good/bad events to debates. And you can certainly quote people from the time these events took place.

===============

I'll start:

Does anyone remember a guy called geoguy? You know, the guy who always behaved like a grumpy old man when he was in the politics subsection and tried to flame all Americans there? Whatever happened to that guy?

Things that spontaneously come to my mind:

- Times when Dave still showed up. I somehow remember the math section being more interesting back then - the correlation might be either way round, though.

- Severian's post about potentials with a massive field (related to the measurement of the photon mass), one of the best sfn posts ever: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=212536&postcount=14.

- Some of the best people leaving because they underestimated the power of the word "forum" in "science forums".

- The old politics and religious forums, how they made carbon emissions look negligible in heating the atmosphere, a lot of discussions what to do with regards to that and a staff member going rouge starting similar threads to ongoing staff discussions in public areas.

I have been here about 3 years, primarily as a lurker.

The debate forum, the member projects (I forgot the name). I feel like today, there is too much discussion on politics.

I haven't seen woelen posting much lately. He had some really awesome experiments.

I remember this because I thought it was hilarious:

Some kid claimed to have built an apparatus for water electrolosys, ran it for a couple weeks, accumulating 12 Hefty bags full of 2:1 H O mix in his basement then shot them with a bottle rocket destroying half of his house.

It seemed obvious to me that he was lying, but it caused quite a bit of commotion.

I remember for awhile there was a lot of paranoia among the admins, mods, and prominent members about 'k3wlz', learning something here which they could use to accidently kill themselves.

(I haven't heard the term used for a long time, but 'k3wlz' are basically 12 year olds who read Anarchist's Cookbook)

I agree, the Member Projects was a LOT of fun, I really enjoyed that myself :)

Woelen is Indeed a Very good chemist! and I do miss his input here also, although I still remain in contact with him, just not on here.

SFN was (and still very much Is) my favorite place on the internet.

I miss Sayonara3's responses to creationists. It was always fun watching the creationists go around the horn throwing all their favorite dung to see if anything would stick. Sayo would calmly dodge each gob like a Shao-lin monk on Red Bull, all the while deftly debunking their claims, correcting their misconceptions and throwing subtle insult-shurikens they were just too dumb to recognize.

Eventually though, the creationists would exhaust their reservoirs of crap, only to start right back at the beginning like nothing had ever been said. Even the Master got tired of the eternal laziness.

And I remember iNow saying that SFN has 94 members>:D>:D...

Care to share a link?

I know precisely what you're referring to, but you also seem to have completely misunderstood me. :D

Your post: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=386997&postcount=95

My response: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=387001&postcount=96

This thread still sticks in my mind as one of SFN's finer moments...

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13615

OMG! Although the guy said don't laugh, I just couldn't resist!

It is fortunate that there is no "Hallucinated Sexual Relationships" sector on SFN, because the forum would be overloaded by nerds giving their theories on single-person sexual pleasure and sadly ending up with only masturbation!>:D >:D

Snail, thanks for reminding me about that!

I also remember one thread where the op was a question about urine. The first response was something like:

Urine is merely a constituant of piss. The amount of urine in piss varies greatly with each person and with each piss.

I do remember his posts, but WOW was that ever a long time ago :)

I remember Greg1917 asking me to look after the Chem section for a while, and then not seeing him again for about a year, said Hi, and then never seen him since?

he was a nice fella.