Reputation!

ChemSiddiqui

I've thanked 2 people for their posts and both times firefox has locked up and crashed to the degree that I have to reinstall it when I hit the 'ok' button...anybody any ideas why this happens? I'm using Linux Mint 7. I daren't thank anybody now! My computer is completely stable 'til I do this. I've even downloaded a new copy of Mint with the same result.

I think I'm using 3.0.1.1. This is from the Mint Repository. If I wanted to use v3,5 I'd have to get it from somewhere else as a tar .bz file and deal with it myself, satisfying all dependencies etc, which I'm not savvy enough in Linux to do it...it's not simple like Windows .exe files.! I'd like to do this but there is a learning curve first before I can...or just wait 'til 3.5 is in the Repo'

I might post the problem in the Mint Forum.

I think I'm using 3.0.1.1. This is from the Mint Repository. If I wanted to use v3,5 I'd have to get it from somewhere else as a tar .bz file and deal with it myself, satisfying all dependencies etc, which I'm not savvy enough in Linux to do it...it's not simple like Windows .exe files.! I'd like to do this but there is a learning curve first before I can...or just wait 'til 3.5 is in the Repo'

I might post the problem in the Mint Forum.

Actually, Firefox 3.5.3 has few dependencies, and runs right out of the package on Ubuntu 8.04 - so it should be as easy on Mint.

You can get the tar.bz2, unpack it somewhere in your home directory, then make a link to "firefox" on your desktop, allowing you to run ff3.5.3 at will. It will use your current prefs and update your plug-ins.

It's not the best way to go about it, but it works.

and unless i'm mistaken, rep power and the little green cards and rep points are three different things?

i'm just guessing, but how many rep points make up a rep power? there's no way to know exactly how many rep points i have?

Power, points and the cards are all related, if you have a look in your user control panel, you can see how many you have and where they are from.

FYI: Non-staff members cannot see who left the rep unless the person leaving the rep added their name to the accompanying comment.

Indeed. Number of posts, amount of reputation, and length as member all affect how much reputation power. I don't know how the green pips correspond to quantity of reputation besides that more pips = greater reputation; there's probably a simple formula somewhere in the vB source code but I can't be bothered finding it.

If you ever feel reputation is being abused -- someone is giving you negative reputation repeatedly just because they don't like you, or whatever -- let an admin know so we can check it out.

Power is related to number of posts and time on the forums as well as number of points.

Cards are only related to number of cards.

You need a large rep power to be able to give rep and notice an immediate difference. Or to be lucky.

you have negative rep(as indicated by the red card) which means you cannot influence someones reputation.

just lol

If you ever feel reputation is being abused -- someone is giving you negative reputation repeatedly just because they don't like you, or whatever -- let an admin know so we can check it out.

but most of the time you don't know who's doing it!

but most of the time you don't know who's doing it!

the mods can look it up if there is a claim of abuse.

they'll only bother if it is clear that the post in question is in no way deserving of negative rep.

ie. if you claim abuse of negative rep when the post in question is a 1000 word long post entirely composed of expletives then they won't investigate.

if the post is a logical, well thought out arguement against or for a point then they will investigate.

Actually, Firefox 3.5.3 has few dependencies, and runs right out of the package on Ubuntu 8.04 - so it should be as easy on Mint.

You can get the tar.bz2, unpack it somewhere in your home directory, then make a link to "firefox" on your desktop, allowing you to run ff3.5.3 at will. It will use your current prefs and update your plug-ins.

It's not the best way to go about it, but it works.

Got the instructions from the Mozilla website to install it in Linux then I created a link, like you said, which worked but is a bit ugly like you said. I later found out how to create a Launcher complete with the Firefox icon on the desktop so it works like any other app.

Thanks for that Jill and I.A. I'm now running 3.5.3. Now to find out if Firefox crashes when I thank you! :)

P.S. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Edited by StringJunky

Question, do members with high rep power give a correspondingly sized negative value? If so, it might be unfair to someone who's new as it's possible they'd be stuck under the red for a long time even if others gave positive rep afterward.

I think people should be able to view who gave them negative points. It seems to come off as a stealthy low blow, creating a more negative atmosphere (pun ;)).

For example, I was kind of ticked off just by knowing when someone did it to JillSwift. Chickenshit describes well the feeling a negatively repped member's likely to harbor towards no one in particular as they wonder futilely about the unidentifiable joe.

Whatever chickenshit gave me a negative rep on this, kindly **** off.

Without a nametag accompanying it, the purpose of negative rep seems to be untargetable irritation felt by that member and resulting silent accusations.

Yet perhaps a nametag would invite back-and-forth retribution and more hard feelings.

Thus a good compromise might be to place negative reps in a waiting line or queue, to be previewed by mods so they make the determination of not being abusive. Surely not a lot of negative rep occurs so it shouldn't be a problem?

Or maybe all negative rep could have an expiration date.

Just my three cents :)

+1 on that Baby Astronaut, I was going to mention your point myself...negative rep is open to abuse if given anonymously.

REPLY: I`ve been wondering if there is any way of finding out who has gotten the most negative rep points ever. I suspect I am at least a contender in that regard as to the current record holder and I`ve only been here a couple of weeks or so. My current count is a minus 57 . I think it was a minus 58 yesterday so i`m losing ground in that regard. I think of myself as a pretty decent sort of guy and get on with many here quite well. For reasons I`m not quite sure of I have a devoted cadre of detracters. Oh Well,Whatever, ...Dr.Syntax ....Inow posted a complaint to me about the fact that I often sign off :" Whatever, Dr. Syntax " He apparently thinks he should have some say in the way I sign off. This is but one of many petty remarks he consistantly see`s fit to inform me of. He seems to enjoy ragging on me ,think I might start pointing them out in the forum . Seems fair to me . ...Dr.Syntax

BabyAstronaut is right, there is no point in letting negative rep points accumulate so much. People might start to take pride in how negative their rep points are. Maybe, it it is below the default value it could (fairly) rapidly rise back to the default?

BabyAstronaut is right, there is no point in letting negative rep points accumulate so much. People might start to take pride in how negative their rep points are. Maybe, it it is below the default value it could (fairly) rapidly rise back to the default?

REPLY: Maybe you ought to quit worring about it unless you are a member of team SUCK HOLE. You seem to be acting that way. ....DS

I got a neg rep today which said this:

you are a troll and a suck hole...DS

It didn't effect me since the person had zero rep power, but I want to repeat my previous suggestions when this idea was being considered... months ago... that we not use neg rep at this site. It just creates more problems than we need. My two cents.

EDIT: Ha! I just realized that dr.syntax used the term suck hole in his post above! You rock, dude! You also neg repped me in the "greatest moment today" thread when I shared that I had a hot chick hit on me in the grocery store (asking me to feel her melons). I love you, man! :D