Reputation!

ChemSiddiqui

I can imagine this takes some changes to the system because you need to run some bot over all the accounts to adjust the rep points from time to time. You can get a similar effect with a more complicated but static calculation. Let [math]\delta_i[/math] be the number of points given on a single instance at time [math]t_i[/math]. Then, instead of calculating the total points as [math] P = 10 + \sum_i \delta_i [/math] you calculate them (at time t being "now") as [math] P(t) = 10 + \sum_i \delta_i e^{-\kappa (t-t_i)} [/math] where [math]\kappa[/math] is some decay constant ( the case of my previous proposal chosen such that [math]e^{-\kappa \, \cdot 2 \text{ weeks}}=0.9[/math]).

Not sure how feasible that is but I wanted to mention it in case the approximate equivalence of these two approaches is not obvious.

Ask yourself this, why should someone with high rep have their expression of thank's/disapproval be worth more than mine (mine is one)? Their rep should be higher than mine because they will have given much more service to this forum than I but it does not seem sensible or democratic that they should give /take more...one man one vote and all that. Power should be distributed in units of one/person...... that is democracy.

But science is not a democracy, it is a meritocracy. Some people have proven themselves to be valuable members of our community, and we value their opinion more -- hence, higher rep power. I'm not sure about the seniority nor post-count aspects though. Presumably these should result in the accumulation of rep points on their own, so an increase based on these would be redundant.

• 1 month later...
Give it time, the more quality posts you make the more you are likely to gain reputation. Just keep asking good questions and keeps giving good answers and reputation will come.
Absolutely. And lol posts or copy/pastes from Wikipedia don't count. ;)

Alternately, DJBruce, if you send me some samples from the Ritter's in Brighton, I'd be glad to increase your reputation by as much as you'd like :D

(I used to live in Canton. Ritter's was a regular attraction for us...)

Meh. Michiganglions eating frozen custard in the winter. No wonder their brains are frozen. :D

Alternately, DJBruce, if you send me some samples from the Ritter's in Brighton, I'd be glad to increase your reputation by as much as you'd like :D

(I used to live in Canton. Ritter's was a regular attraction for us...)

I would be more than happy to send you some Ritter's if you would like some not because of the rep points but because I would hate to have you melt while your down in Texas. I just need to find out what UPS' shipping policies are when it comes to dry ice. Also as a side note I am not sure where in Texas you are at but their is a Ritter's in Katy, Texas, where every that may be.

Culver's is pretty good when it comes to frozen custard. You should check 'em out if you haven't already. There is one up north a block away from Burnet and Braker, and another down south at Manchaca and William Cannon.

• 1 month later...
i want to boast my reputation too, even though i only joined today ;-)
You'll never *boost* your rep if you can't spell "boost". If you meant "boast", well your current rep is nothing to boast about. :D

I'm starting to see a pattern here....

And in case you were wondering (come on, I know you were), posts in General Discussion don't increase your post count, so that's why it says 0 even though you've made 5 posts. :)

• 6 months later...

Any chance that we can get back the ability to write a short text with the rep (the + or - that we give each other)?

Sometimes, I feel like complimenting someone - but it's not worth a reply. For example, if I like to write "Hahaha, lol, good joke"... that's pure spam if I reply with a quote, and then add just that text as a reply. But it goes perfectly with a positive rep.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if I can still see a list of my posts that received some reputation from others?

I'm curious which posts are appreciated by the members... We used to get a report about this (in the old version), but either that was cancelled, or I cannot find it anymore.