Pictures of your lab...

Scientia

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a couple of mine:

Man, that's impressive. If it hasn't already been done - someone should really make a children's book with "big science" photos like these. This stuff could complete with any artistic rendering of a dinosaur for sheer awesomeness.

Edit:

Quick question: Did someone draw a face inside the "6" in the top mid-left conduit in the second photo? If I see that right, it looks unhappy. :(

Edited by padren

• 4 months later...

I cannot believe that you have put pictures of not only your lab but also your mouse house on there with people working on them and the fact that you are describing schedule 1 killing are you INSANE! what's wrong with you? that's not good!!!

but hey your life!

that's alot of metal I am impressed not very biological though! I prefer living things! but still kudos for impressivenes

• 4 months later...

In regards to Severian's lab, I must admit, I am so impressed. You work at Cern, in Europe? I very quickly realised the pictures as the classic images of Large Hadron Collider, that's currently under way deep underground, in France and Switzerland. The biggest collider yet. Pretty impressive... either you are fraudulent in nature, or you work at Cern. Do reply to the following. If it is the latter, I'm sorry for the accusatory tone. It's simply that I couldn't help to notice that those were the exact images that were sent all around the web. They even featured in a National Geographic regarding the new facility being built there. A response, perhaps?

either you are fraudulent in nature, or you work at Cern. Do reply to the following.

You are right, I am a fraud, since I don't work at CERN. It was meant as a joke.

And, unlike you, I am not very interesting.

haha severian... until I saw your last post.. I was about to say.. AHA.. that explains why you are the archetypal representative of the standard model here at these forums ^^.. Oh.. and it could of been fermilab as such, even if I can't remember quite all those thingies at fermi I must admit.. then again.. I'm a drunk old hobo.. don't remember much of my life ;p

(ps. take those words loosely)

It's simply that I couldn't help to notice that those were the exact images that were sent all around the web. They even featured in a National Geographic regarding the new facility being built there. A response, perhaps?

I am slightly curious how you think anyone working on ATLAS could produce their own pictures. There is a high magnetic field in the pit, so anything metal is not allowed inside, certainly not a camera. The only pictures in existence are the official ones which had to be taken in special conditions.

• 1 month later...

Not a bad point (a rather noteworthy one in fact:-))- I suppose I myself have fallen (initially figuritively, however following this sentence, I shall make it my duty to slip off this chair for effect). (Ow!) I probably wasn't thinking straight (as if I ever am) as one would think it to be common knowledge that large magnetic fields, and external electronics equipment don't go well together. In all honesty, I never thought about that, however, the images I was referring to were only taken when the collider was only undergoing construction. Ah well, when all has been said and done, I suppose that were stupidity material, I would implode under the strength of my own gravitational field:D. Alas...

• 11 months later...

I worked in this lab last semester:

15843_676061775232_61113478_41748955_4959399_n.jpg

15843_676061765252_61113478_41748953_4256009_n.jpg

15843_676061795192_61113478_41748959_3192728_n.jpg

No fancy equipment, each bit of exciting equipment gets its own room.

For example, our X-ray machine:

xray020b.jpg

Hopefully I'll work with the NMR lab sometime

mag-3-4.jpg

Lots of terrifyingly strong NIB (Neodymium Iron Boron) magnets

I have some of those. I stick stuff to the fridge with them then my housemates get baffled as to why they can't get them OFF the fridge.

• 1 year later...

It was made years ago :¬P feels a bit daft now. Wouldn't mind re-shooting with just the most impressive things and include a new rather unique item, and all in a nicer surroundings.

I have some of those. I stick stuff to the fridge with them then my housemates get baffled as to why they can't get them OFF the fridge.

:¬)

Edited by alan2here

• 4 years later...

I might take some pics of the home lab, work lab would be out the question as I love my job too much!

As for the mice..... When we have the need then its neck and glass rod every single time, not once in well over 30 years has it gone wrong. I am not a fan of CO2, then again looking back over my 30 odd years I would say we kill less than 0.1% of the numbers of mice that we used to. Hell most of the time everything is now modeled on a computer!

I think its a good thing that we have developed techniques that often make using mice etc a thing of the past, but even now on occasion there is a need to use a live model. I like the glass rod and pull method as its quick, and for the record you dont pull the tail you pull right at the very base of the tail so the spine is in a straight line.

So the full process is

Grab mouse by base of tail and lift from cage (or trap), have glass rod in other hand ready and as you bring the mouse to the tile it will stretch as it reaches to land on the tile. The moment the front paws touch the tile bring the rod horizontal and directly behind the neck and skull, firm but not so hard as to restrict any of the airway you push down (mainly as a stop point) and at the same time pull with the other hand holding the base of the tail.

Complete dislocation and severing of the spinal cord, sorry if it's hard to understand but I can assure you its very easy to show in person and quick to learn.

In the past I have worked with other larger animals and these are normally 'vet' assisted. Only bad experience I have seen or had was an escaped primate in the late 80's, very few options when something like this goes wrong and the animal is infected with a human transmissible pathogen. I havnt worked in this area for a long time now and so I have no idea what systems are in place, I would think safety and accident protocols are very much better than when I worked in the field.