Pictures of your lab...

Scientia

Not that I can contribute this, but I thought that it would be interesting to see the home/work labs that some of the people here use. It would help to see what other people in your field use and give you and idea of what you could use.

My lab looks a lot like ecoli's up there, with the addition of the mouse area. Our mice are in the barrier room, so we gotta get all dolled up in these space suit things here to keep the mice nice and clean and healthy:

n2209289_36836094_9236.jpg

And here are (or were, rather, before we dissected them) some of my mice, running on a testing device called a Rotarod. Basically, the mouse that falls off last has the strongest muscles.

n2209289_38540678_7301.jpg

• 1 month later...
Do you kill your own mice? I'm just wondering what the accepted way for killing mice to disect is. I'm sure there are plenty of nutters out there who want to kill you!

We do it with CO2 chambers, though I've heard of some labs that break their spines by pulling on their tails a specific way. I think the latter has to many chances for error, and unnecessary pain.

We do it with CO2 chambers, though I've heard of some labs that break their spines by pulling on their tails a specific way. I think the latter has to many chances for error, and unnecessary pain.

Yes, that's what we use, CO2 chambers. I haven't heard of the tail trick, but I've also heard of a method that basically involves popping their skull off of their neck. From what I know it's a method from back in the day, and again difficult to pull off. I'm pretty sure methods of this nature are now illegal.

Swansont: that looks alot like alot of the stuff that you can't see in my image because it's too small and most of it's inside black boxes :)

We have the original system out so we could play with it. The later incarnations are much more compact, as we had decided on a design. It's modular and fiber-coupled now; we have tried three different laser sources, and none of the optics had to be reworked — just plug in a different fiber. I'll post some more pics when I get back to the office.

Yes, that's what we use, CO2 chambers.

I hope these are not prefilled chambers? Those are rather nasty. Cervical dislocation is usually better, but one needs some skill to pull it off (no pun intended).

Actually CO2 use is getting much disputed in a number of labs.

I hope these are not prefilled chambers? Those are rather nasty. Cervical dislocation is usually better, but one needs some skill to pull it off (no pun intended).

Actually CO2 use is getting much disputed in a number of labs.

no, compressed CO2 from a tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Note to the above poster

Your image is a little large

What is a Gimp Maskorz 8D?

This is probably the ugliest room in my house but it was the safest place to get all of my lab together into one place.

I would have liked to place them closer together but that would not have been possible. I think that it was amazing that I got them this close.

The images show a representation of everything as opposed to having absolutely everything in them. The list is more complete.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8901/lab4pi0.png

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9892/lab1wx1.png

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/769/lab2or4.png

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8134/lab3ha8.png

Magnetic stuff

Lots of terrifyingly strong NIB (Neodymium Iron Boron) magnets, some weaker ceramic magnets (although that large ones size does make it quite strong).

Iron fillings, screws.

Metal non magnetic tubes for lens law experiments.

Electric stuff

Plasma ball.

Flapping remote control aircraft.

Power ball.

Normal torch, simplest torch ever, LED torch that can flash.

Random stuff

Ball bearings, metal bits, springs, metal ruler, tiny bearings, rubber bands, polystyrene chunk, speaker insides.

Odd sort of key and a piece of string that can be used to make very small explosions with match heads.

Other Materals

Woods metal, bismuth crystals, pyrolytic graphite.

Powerful battery pack, watch battery's and tiny motors that can be powered by them.

Also

Spectroscopic glasses.

Edited by alan2here