do you believe demon possessions and fallen angels are real

the new testament talks about demon possession many times. they say 1/3 of the NT was about jesus casting out demons and you can find those verse on openbible.info. so you believe in christianity then you would have to believe in demons and fallen angels as well. and my belief is that the aliens abductions and ufo activities are fallen angels and not extraterrestrials like the media claims. 

People used to believe is a lot of things. I remember reading that sneezing was thought to be the body trying to expel demons, hence the response of “God bless you.” Now we know that it’s a cold or an allergy, or irritation from dust.

You were supposed to bless a glass of water before you drank it, to keep the devil from entering your body. But now we understand getting sick from drinking bad quality water.

So I don’t put much stock in stories from long ago about demons and devils, or in modern stories about aliens being attributed to them. It’s just so much baloney.

8 hours ago, knowledgeispower917 said:

the new testament talks about demon possession many times. they say 1/3 of the NT was about jesus casting out demons and you can find those verse on openbible.info. so you believe in christianity then you would have to believe in demons and fallen angels as well. and my belief is that the aliens abductions and ufo activities are fallen angels and not extraterrestrials like the media claims. 

It's absurd nonsense to say 1/3 of the New Testament is about casting out demons. There are a handful of stories, that's all. 

People did not understand mental illness in those days.

A lot of people have 'personal demons'.
Once the Church used to deal with such issues; nowdays Psychology and Psychiatry do the same.
The term 'personal demons' is used to describe mental issues/conditions that lead to destructive personal, or social, behavior.

Why do people want, or choose, to interpret what is clearly the time-specific allegory of the Bible, as fact ?

9 hours ago, knowledgeispower917 said:

and my belief is that the aliens abductions and ufo activities are fallen angels and not extraterrestrials like the media claims. 

This seems unproductive as a form of belief, discarding one extraordinary explanation for another. Neither angels nor extraterrestrials have as much supportive evidence as virtually ANY other explanation. Weather balloons are more likely than Michael or Martians.

13 hours ago, swansont said:

People used to believe is a lot of things. I remember reading that sneezing was thought to be the body trying to expel demons, hence the response of “God bless you.” Now we know that it’s a cold or an allergy, or irritation from dust.

You were supposed to bless a glass of water before you drank it, to keep the devil from entering your body. But now we understand getting sick from drinking bad quality water.

So I don’t put much stock in stories from long ago about demons and devils, or in modern stories about aliens being attributed to them. It’s just so much baloney.

then how do you explain documented evidence of paranormal activities/hauntings, demon possessions and alien abductions? 

11 hours ago, Phi for All said:

This seems unproductive as a form of belief, discarding one extraordinary explanation for another. Neither angels nor extraterrestrials have as much supportive evidence as virtually ANY other explanation. Weather balloons are more likely than Michael or Martians.

11 hours ago, MigL said:

A lot of people have 'personal demons'.
Once the Church used to deal with such issues; nowdays Psychology and Psychiatry do the same.
The term 'personal demons' is used to describe mental issues/conditions that lead to destructive personal, or social, behavior.

Why do people want, or choose, to interpret what is clearly the time-specific allegory of the Bible, as fact ?

13 hours ago, exchemist said:

It's absurd nonsense to say 1/3 of the New Testament is about casting out demons. There are a handful of stories, that's all. 

People did not understand mental illness in those days.

then how do you explain documented evidence of paranormal activities/hauntings, demon possessions and alien abductions? 

54 minutes ago, knowledgeispower917 said:

Incorrect interpretation of the evidence.

8 hours ago, knowledgeispower917 said:

Seems like rather a non-sequitur to my post, which was pointing out the absurdity of the claim that 1/3 of the New Testament is concerned with casting out demons. I also suggested that a lot of these "demons" were how people of the time interpreted mental illness, epileptic fits etc. That seems fairly uncontroversial. Nothing I said was a commentary on modern stories about supposedly paranormal experiences. 

But as for how I explain those, I share the view of others on the thread that some people tend to resort to paranormal explanations for experiences they can't account for.  Others, of a more sceptical turn of mind or better educated, don't. 

Edited by exchemist

10 hours ago, knowledgeispower917 said:

I think if there were scientific evidence it would be documented better than in a youtube video (which, BTW, needs to comply with rule 2.7, found in the “guidelines” tab; a video is not a substitute for substantive discussion and documentation. Asking people to watch a 25-min video rather than you putting the effort in to explain the situation is not going to fly)

How about StPD at the root of many, if not all, of these reports?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypal_personality_disorder

classification describes the disorder specifically as a personality disorder characterized by thought disorder, paranoia, a characteristic form of social anxiety, derealization, transient psychosis, and unconventional beliefs.

Religious types could, after all, be not much more than socially-accepted schizotipicals, that have somehow met the medium, and the way, to make their illness socially palatable.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:00 PM, joigus said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypal_personality_disorder

Religious types could, after all, be not much more than socially-accepted schizotipicals, that have somehow met the medium, and the way, to make their illness socially palatable.

Large brush that you're painting with! 

My religious friends appear more mentally stable than most in society.

Their faith anchors them to a more benevolent-peaceful reality than science does.

Even if this reality is not so much benvolent and peaceful.

Disturbed individuals are all over, even in science.

23 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

My religious friends appear more mentally stable than most in society.

Schizotipical behaviour is not to do with mental stability. It's to do with delusional perception of experience (sensory or otherwise). Have you skimmed through the wikipedia article or references thereby? My emphasis in boldface in a sample from mentioned article:

1. Crespi B, Dinsdale N, Read S, Hurd P (2019-03-08). "Spirituality, dimensional autism, and schizotypal traits: The search for meaning". PLOS ONE. 14 (3): e0213456. Bibcode:2019PLoSO..1413456C. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0213456. PMC 6407781. PMID 30849096.
  2. ^ Carvalho LF, Sagradim DE, Pianowski G, Gonçalves AP (2020-10-19). "Relationship between religiosity domains and traits from borderline and schizotypal personality disorders in a Brazilian community sample". Trends in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy. 42 (3): 239–246. doi:10.1590/2237-6089-2019-0085. PMC 7879071. PMID 33084801. S2CID 224828232.
  3. ^ Breslin MJ, Lewis CA (2015-03-04). "Schizotypy and Religiosity: The Magic of Prayer". Archive for the Psychology of Religion. 37 (1): 84–97. doi:10.1163/15736121-12341300. ISSN 0084-6724. S2CID 144734469.
  4. ^ Byrom GN (2009). "Differential Relationships between Experiential and Interpretive Dimensions of Mysticism and Schizotypal Magical Ideation in a University Sample". Archive for the Psychology of Religion. 31 (2): 127–150. doi:10.1163/157361209X424420. ISSN 0084-6724. S2CID 143580864.

Etc.

7 minutes ago, joigus said:

Schizotipical behaviour is not to do with mental stability. It's to do with delusional perception of experience (sensory or otherwise). Have you skimmed through the wikipedia article or references thereby? My emphasis in boldface in a sample from mentioned article:

Etc.

But you still stigmatise them as ill. So ill but stable?

I am reasonably ok with this one.

But not this one.

When were delusional perception and schizptipicals fun things to have as labels; and it appears in the way that you worded it that all religious folks have these attributes.

Also, your quote makes mention of personality disorderthought disorder, paranoia, social anxiety, derealization, transient psychosis, and unconventional beliefs. When were these things associated with mental stability? DSM-5 classifies them as disorders. Noted that some are "characteristics of others", but it still linking them all.

The referenced articles appear tamer in their conclusion than the Wiki article.

Correction -  Delusional perception was referenced here:

1 hour ago, joigus said:

Etc.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

But you still stigmatise them as ill. So ill but stable?

I didn't mean religious people --see my comments to Luc Turpin below.

Apparently schizotypals were discovered as a consequence of behaviour scientists wondering: How come an illness as detrimental as schizophrenia is so significantly present in the gene pool? --In the ballpark of 1%. Wouldn't there be a milder but related version of the illness that could be proven as advantageous under certain circumstances? The parallel was sickle-cell anemia, which can kill you, but a milder version of which can protect you from malaria. So they found a high correlation of peculiar characters in relatives of people suffering from schizophrenia.

I wouldn't dare to use the term "ill" for any of these people. AFAIK triggering of even serious form of schizophrenia only happens after environmental factors have made their appearance.

But I'm very far from being an expert here and I'd gladly accept corrections by anyone who knows more about this.

14 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

On 3/16/2024 at 7:00 PM, joigus said:

But not this one.

Sorry, by "religious types" I didn't mean the followers of a religion. Rather, I meant the prophets, the visionaries, the people who hear voices, the people who see angels. You know, the founders of religions.

The following of a religion is a completely different matter. Some people join because they feel comforted, others because they want to fit in, others because they are folklore-motivated, etc. Who knows. At least, I don't.

37 minutes ago, joigus said:

I didn't mean religious people --see my comments to Luc Turpin below.

Apparently schizotypals were discovered as a consequence of behaviour scientists wondering: How come an illness as detrimental as schizophrenia is so significantly present in the gene pool? --In the ballpark of 1%. Wouldn't there be a milder but related version of the illness that could be proven as advantageous under certain circumstances? The parallel was sickle-cell anemia, which can kill you, but a milder version of which can protect you from malaria. So they found a high correlation of peculiar characters in relatives of people suffering from schizophrenia.

I wouldn't dare to use the term "ill" for any of these people. AFAIK triggering of even serious form of schizophrenia only happens after environmental factors have made their appearance.

But I'm very far from being an expert here and I'd gladly accept corrections by anyone who knows more about this.

Sorry, by "religious types" I didn't mean the followers of a religion. Rather, I meant the prophets, the visionaries, the people who hear voices, the people who see angels. You know, the founders of religions.

The following of a religion is a completely different matter. Some people join because they feel comforted, others because they want to fit in, others because they are folklore-motivated, etc. Who knows. At least, I don't.

Got it!

Better!

Thanks for responding

1 hour ago, joigus said:

AFAIK triggering of even serious form of schizophrenia only happens after environmental factors have made their appearance.

But I'm very far from being an expert here

I also am very far from being an expert, rather just a witness. In the case I've witnessed, specific environmental factor has made obvious a very serious form of schizophrenia, but then its signs could be traced back for years of misdiagnosis.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

I also am very far from being an expert, rather just a witness. In the case I've witnessed, specific environmental factor has made obvious a very serious form of schizophrenia, but then its signs could be traced back for years of misdiagnosis.

From what I know (and I know one case personally) it wasn't obvious during pre-pubescent stage and there were environmental factors that triggered it post-puberty. So what you say checks with my personal experience. That's why gene-based diagnosis is sure to become essential in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, jnana said:

can someone please define what a demon is

Suggest you first consult a dictionary and then come back with any specific points of clarification that you may have.