Is it possible to log my action in Windows?

kenny1999

For example, when I create a new file or folder, it is logged, when I delete a file, it is logged, when I edit a file, it is logged, when I rename a file, it is logged, when I cut and move a file, it is logged, when I copy and paste a file, it is logged, anything altered is logged. Of course, the corresponding time is necessary.

It will be great if it can automatically delete the old log after a specified time, e.g. 7 days, 15 days etc.

Log with text is good enough, recording screen is costly, which will take a lot of time to watch and a lot of space to save.

Is there such tool?

I mean I'll be able to get a text file that will show the log of any action (e.g. create a new file or folder, cut or copy to paste to a new destination, rename a file or folder, edit or delete a file, etc.), with the corresponding timestamps showing when it was done.

Hi everyone else, please read what I am looking for carefully, I am only looking for a tool that will help record what I have done to my files, it is just like an activity log, and there is totally nothing about hacking or spying as slandered by someone with malice in mind.

17 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

Hi everyone else, please read what I am looking for carefully, I am only looking for a tool that will help record what I have done to my files, it is just like an activity log, and there is totally nothing about hacking or spying as slandered by someone with malice in mind.

There is no intention to slander. If someone puts up the means, someone with malicious intent could use it. C'est la vie.

On 12/10/2023 at 3:57 PM, kenny1999 said:

For example, when I create a new file or folder, it is logged, when I delete a file, it is logged, when I edit a file, it is logged, when I rename a file, it is logged, when I cut and move a file, it is logged, when I copy and paste a file, it is logged, anything altered is logged. Of course, the corresponding time is necessary.

Like this?

On 12/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, kenny1999 said:

Is there such tool?

Of course.

You can always write it yourself.

Then it will meet all the tight requirements.

Source code on MSDN:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.io.filesystemwatcher?view=net-8.0

19 hours ago, Eise said:

I agree with @StringJunky: we do not know if you have good intentions. I think we should not support technologies where misuse is more common than good use.

This type of operation is widely used by legitimate applications to monitor changes in configuration files.

When you open a text file in editor X and editor Y, and save in one of them, you click another, and it complains that the file needs to be reloaded, this is due to the use of this API..

5 hours ago, Sensei said:

When you open a text file in editor X and editor Y, and save in one of them, you click another, and it complains that the file needs to be reloaded, this is due to the use of this API.

Sure, this API exists. But to use it for logging, give the possibility to possibly spy out other sessions, is not legitimate in my ethics... The OP did not even explain why he needs it. So I prefer to stay on the safe side, and do not help in how this could be done.

On 12/10/2023 at 9:57 PM, kenny1999 said:

It will be great if it can automatically delete the old log after a specified time, e.g. 7 days, 15 days etc.

Log with text is good enough, recording screen is costly, which will take a lot of time to watch and a lot of space to save.

Is there such tool?

Well I don't usually respond to this member as responses are never acknowledged, but I don't see this question as an ethical security issue.

Windows has always done the logging noted in the OP,  provided a text file and deletion facilities and the user has always had the ability to control the level of logging.

No special 'spy software' is rrequired, nor would I recommend it.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, kenny1999 said:

If you don't mind an application with a GUI, there is an application written by Microsoft engineers FileMon:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/filemon

Later replaced by ProcessMon:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

On 12/12/2023 at 9:29 AM, Eise said:

Sure, this API exists. But to use it for logging, give the possibility to possibly spy out other sessions, is not legitimate in my ethics... The OP did not even explain why he needs it. So I prefer to stay on the safe side, and do not help in how this could be done.

Such an application installed on your computer can tell you if someone has used your computer without your permission or if someone has hacked into your computer, even if anti-virus applications find nothing. I don't think it's interesting to monitor file activity to spy on someone (unlike keyboard presses and mouse movements).

It is an anti-spyware application, not a spyware application....

• 1 month later...

Certainly! It sounds like you're in search of a comprehensive file and folder activity logging tool with automatic log deletion features. For such requirements, you might find a suitable solution in advanced file auditing software. These tools can log various file operations, provide detailed information, and automate log retention.

One recommended approach is to explore file auditing solutions that offer customizable settings for log retention periods. This way, you can configure the tool to automatically delete older logs based on your specified time frame, such as 7 days or 15 days.

Ensure to review and choose a tool that aligns with your specific needs, providing an efficient and user-friendly way to track file activities while offering the flexibility to manage log data effectively.