Is there a general method to help with psychological diseases?

kenny1999

Without seeing a doctor, is there a general method to help with most, if not all, psychological diseases? I understand that it may not be official, I understand that it may not be clinically proved, I understand that it may not be a cure. However, I am pretty sure that I had some kinds of psychological diseases but I am not sure what it is, probably anxiety, probably obsession, probably depression, I don't know, but for all kinds of reasons, I am not able to see a doctor now. Even though that's the case, I strongly believe that I could overcome or manage by myself because I once managed, probably 15 years ago I had some kinds of psychological problems that were greatly affecting my life and living quality, which lasted for a few years, but it's finally gone, and gone for at least 10 years, and I was free and happy, without seeing a doctor or taking any medicine, but I cannot remember how I got to that point, probably it's just gone naturally, probably it just happened for no reason, I don't know. So, well, my question has been asked. Thanks for any information, ideas and comments.

1 hour ago, kenny1999 said:

Without seeing a doctor, is there a general method to help with most, if not all, psychological diseases?

If you have a religious faith, the next best consultant would be a spiritual advisor.

Failing that, talking to wise elders (relative, mentor, family friend?) may be useful. If you have a spouse or significant other, they should certainly be made aware of your condition, and might be able to offer support. Consulting books or on-line sources of information may be a good idea, so long as you don't fall into some faddish regimen or self-medication. You could seek out support groups - live or on websites - with similar problems.

Whatever you decide, it's better to share the burden with people you trust than trying to manage on your own.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2023 at 7:40 AM, Peterkin said:

If you have a religious faith, the next best consultant would be a spiritual advisor.

Failing that, talking to wise elders (relative, mentor, family friend?) may be useful. If you have a spouse or significant other, they should certainly be made aware of your condition, and might be able to offer support. Consulting books or on-line sources of information may be a good idea, so long as you don't fall into some faddish regimen or self-medication. You could seek out support groups - live or on websites - with similar problems.

Whatever you decide, it's better to share the burden with people you trust than trying to manage on your own.  

Thanks for your meaningful comments. But the problem is, my family members do not feel me no matter how hard I have tried to explain things to them, I know them well, they will never feel me. I have given up. I had regular sessions with a few counselors who were psychologists, I got some temporary relief, but it did not last long. I talked a lot and I talked too much. I think it's time to do something rather than just talk. Or is there any superfood (that should be natural) that will potentially improve one's emotion?

2 minutes ago, kenny1999 said:

Or is there any superfood (that should be natural) that will potentially improve one's emotion?

No.  That being said a healthy diet is important for mental and physical health in general.  Your best option is to work with health professionals.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

I talked a lot and I talked too much. I think it's time to do something rather than just talk.

There are many activities that could be therapeutic, depending on your temperament and inclination. Some art form - painting or sculpture are the standard choices. Building something, even if it's only bird-houses, can be quite rewarding. Horticulture is very calming and might even yield some superfoods: ripe tomatoes from your own yard, fresh peas, gooseberries, melons...? Another possibility is volunteer work to help other people who are maybe worse off than you are. The objective in any case is to stop focusing on your inner misery and direct your attention and efforts outward, to something positive. 

There is no magic cure. Maybe you can figure out - with or without help - what's causing the problem and fix it (very difficult and rare). Or you can treat it like a chronic illness, managing the symptoms from day to day (what most people with depression do).  

The brain is a chemical factory. Feed it with crap (either literally and metaphorically) and it will malfunction. Healthy eating is fundamental.

ps. I suggest hot spicy foods, such as Carolina Reaper sauce. Spicy foods causes release of endorphins.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spicy+foods+causes+release+of+endorphins

"Capsaicin tastes hot because it activates certain biological pathways in mammals – the same pathways activated by hot temperatures. The pain produced by spicy food can provoke the body to release endorphins and dopamine. This release can prompt a sense of relief or even a degree of euphoria."

Edited by Sensei

9 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

Or is there any superfood (that should be natural) that will potentially improve one's emotion

Less screen time and more fresh air and direct human contact can help reduce depression and misery. (yes, some irony in that sentence)  Counseling is useful, but its longterm goal is to further more engagement with life and with people who aren't being paid to talk with you.  Counselors guide, they don't fix.  You fix.  

That's what the existentialists were on about: you are the one who must tap into creativity and create meaning in life - you can't count on a world full of absurdity to tell you who you are or where your bliss will be.  You must go find it.

The journey is difficult.  Assume it will be difficult and you are less likely to get discouraged.  Sweat is good. 🙂

Negative things and positive co-exist together throughout our lives. It's up to ourselves to choose which ones we want to see. I often experience crippling depression  and happen to have just acquired four budgies. They interrupt my negativity in positive ways. If you are alone and have nothing to care about, find something to care about.... be it others in some capacity, or in looking after some other living thing. Immerse yourself in their needs, or elsewhere, where there is the possibility of reciprocation. Negative past experiences, for instance, need positive new experiences to push them away into insignificance.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

hot spicy foods, such as Carolina Reaper sauce. Spicy foods causes release of endorphins.

Right, but if you start with Carolina reaper it will also cause the release of your stomach contents and likely later liquids that make your anus burn. 

The easiest way to feel better is to help someone else. Paradoxically altruism is selfish. 

Add in some exercise. Good sleep. Going for a walk. Finding a way to work with your hands. These all help. 

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

Right, but if you start with Carolina reaper it will also cause the release of your stomach contents and likely later liquids that make your anus burn. 

The easiest way to feel better is to help someone else. Paradoxically altruism is selfish. 

Add in some exercise. Good sleep. Going for a walk. Finding a way to work with your hands. These all help. 

LOL! Yes, one will be dowsing ones bottom with water to put out a burning 'ring''.

Some people also find it useful to keep a daily log or journal: recording each day's weather, what you did, whom you encountered, what you ate and how you felt (on a scale, maybe). That way, you can look back over a month and see patterns. For some people, depression comes in regular time cycles, so they can anticipate when the bad days are likely to be and avoid any confrontations or difficult challenges on those days, opting instead for a solitary walk or vegging out with old movies. Or perhaps you can make some connections between situations and moods - whenever I did this, I felt better; when I ate that, I felt worse - and adjust your activities toward the positive outcome. 

You may also benefit from a dream journal. It can be helpful to record dreams as soon as possible after waking, either described as fully as possible in words or rendered as pictures. Dreams depict our submerged memories, fears and associations that haunt us. Understanding them, once we decipher the language of dreams, gives us power to change how we feel.