All words are more words, and therefore, all words are silly

JoeyS

I know all words are more words, and therefore, all words are silly. Do you know this? If you don’t, then you believe all words are more than words, and therefore, all words are serious. To believe that, you must say that. When you say that, do you know you prove this? If you don’t, then you don’t know this. When will you know this?

I don't accept any of your premises. I'm not even sure what can be done with a philosophy like this. What do you hope to learn without words?

Could you explain why you think all words are either silly or serious? I observe that words allow us to share patterns with each other that we've found, which greatly aids in our communications, increases our cooperative efforts, and allows us a high degree of precision to complement our high intelligence and tool use.

38 minutes ago, JoeyS said:

I know all words are more words, and therefore, all words are silly. Do you know this? If you don’t, then you believe all words are more than words, and therefore, all words are serious. To believe that, you must say that. When you say that, do you know you prove this? If you don’t, then you don’t know this. When will you know this?

You say it using words and therefore, it is silly.

44 minutes ago, JoeyS said:

But words “are” not more words. What they are is labels for objects, actions, ideas etc. that allow us to share our experience and thought with others.

While all, or almost all,  words are serious, certain combinations of them can be silly.

Edited by exchemist

37 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I don't accept any of your premises. I'm not even sure what can be done with a philosophy like this. What do you hope to learn without words?

Could you explain why you think all words are either silly or serious? 

I have one premise: all words are more words. You say you don’t accept this but your response is filled with “more words” - is it not? Don’t you see how this silly? 

11 minutes ago, Genady said:

You say it using words and therefore, it is silly.

Exactly ;)

6 minutes ago, exchemist said:

But words “are” not more words. What they are is labels for objects, actions, ideas etc. 

What are “labels”, “objects”, “actions” and “ideas”? More words ;) 

1 minute ago, JoeyS said:

“Yes” and “absolutely” = more words

Wow. You're genius. I didn't realize that. They're called "words," you say? Well, I never... Gosh. Learn something new every day. 

Another thing I learned today? Gratitude for the day 1 five post limit. 

1 minute ago, iNow said:

Wow. You're genius. I didn't realize that. They're called "words," you say? Well, I never... Gosh. Learn something new every day. 

Another thing I learned today? Gratitude for the day 1 five post limit. 

Hahaha touché! I only responded to your first comment because it seemed like you were poking fun at my only having one premise - perhaps I was wrong tho! 

17 minutes ago, JoeyS said:

I have one premise: all words are more words. You say you don’t accept this but your response is filled with “more words” - is it not? Don’t you see how this silly? 

Exactly ;)

What are “labels”, “objects”, “actions” and “ideas”? More words ;) 

You are confusing the labels with the entities that the words represent.

If you carry on doing that it will be pointless trying to converse with you. 

10 minutes ago, exchemist said:

You are confusing the labels with the entities that the words represent.

If you carry on doing that it will be pointless trying to converse with you. 

I would counter that it’s pointless trying to converse with someone who believes all words are more than words, and therefore, all words are serious. Why were we taught to believe that when everything that comes out of our mouths is more words? Wouldn’t our lives (and by extension, the world) be a lot less serious if we knew this?

25 minutes ago, JoeyS said:

I would counter that it’s pointless trying to converse with someone who believes all words are more than words, and therefore, all words are serious.

This makes you sound hypocritical, in that you think words are silly yet you use them to explain this concept. And I've got the entirety of human languages as evidence in support of the statement that words are more than words. What have you got? I think you have more words.

I hope your reply tomorrow (you have a 5 post limit on your first day) uses a more interesting combination of words than you've used so far.

1 hour ago, JoeyS said:

I would counter that it’s pointless trying to converse with someone who believes all words are more than words, and therefore, all words are serious. Why were we taught to believe that when everything that comes out of our mouths is more words? Wouldn’t our lives (and by extension, the world) be a lot less serious if we knew this?

image.png.cd27889da172876107c8c637a8848365.png

4 hours ago, JoeyS said:

Very good example of,

4 hours ago, exchemist said:

words are serious, certain combinations of them can be silly.

:D 

12 hours ago, exchemist said:

But words “are” not more words. What they are is labels for objects, actions, ideas etc. that allow us to share our experience and thought with others.

While all, or almost all,  words are serious, certain combinations of them can be silly.

Exactly. I suspect the OP is taking an idea expressed in a Marvel movie by Thor that all words are made up, forgetting the part you succinctly state, and thus arriving at his ridiculous conclusion.

Addendum: To put it simply, if I say "rock", and point to a rock, you might understand what I'm trying to communicate, even if you have never heard the term rock before. 

Edited by Steve81

16 hours ago, exchemist said:

Actually, there is more silly combinations of words than meaningful sentences..

A meaningful sentence must have the correct syntax.

De Saussure already observed that symbols are arbitrary --except probably for onomatopoeia--, while associations of symbols are not.

OP seems to be confusing 'arbitrary' with 'silly', and not taking the second step --associations-- at all.

Let's see what they have to say for themselves.

13 minutes ago, Genady said:

Does not seem so in a sign language, though.

Accountable to the difference in the medium of communication. With sign language, the sign for poop makes perfect sense as a representation of what’s being communicated . You just can’t do that with verbalization.

Edited by Steve81

1 minute ago, Steve81 said:

Accountable to the difference in the medium of communication. With sign language, the sign for poop makes perfect sense as a representation of what’s happening. You just can’t do that with verbalization.

Perhaps so. But then, they (Saussure?) need to clarify that they refer only to verbal symbols.