Transforming the taste of foods with humming or singing?

genio

I've noticed that when I'm cooking and I decide to hum while I'm stirring the food. The food gains whatever energy that is released from humming. The more I hum, the more energy the food gains. I've giving food to people without informing them of this energy transfer and some comment how it tastes strange while one person said it gave them so much energy like they've never felt before.

I also tested this a year ago when I had to feed a cat. I mashed their wet food while humming, the cat ate the food and not even a couple minutes later... The cat threw up the food as if it couldn't handle whatever energy I transferred into it by humming. The cat never throwed up when I fed it wet cat food previously.

I've also noticed when my mother cooks her tomato sauce and hums/sings. There's a unique taste to it that can't be replicated.

How can this be scientifically measured? Would this be considered alchemy?

Edited by genio

Humming is a sound wave. It’s a vibration through the air. Vibration makes molecules bounce against each other. That means heating up, and you’re not humming loudly or intensely enough to heat your food in any relevant or meaningful way, especially in context of the hot orange blue flame beneath. It’s like holding a flashlight against the sun, or pissing in an ocean. 

Humming can have an effect on the brain. The action or sound can affect your reaction to the food through taste etc. So there's no reason why it shouldn't have an effect. It's a mental effect, nothing to do with energy.

I saw a brief clip on a tv program a few days ago, where researchers recorded the sounds made by gorillas when they are eating, and in fact they were humming constantly. And I know people who hum as they eat. It's quiet, and not always obvious, and they probably don't know they are doing it.

And I can't quote the details, but I vaguely remember someone doing a trial on the sweetness of food, humming and not humming, and there was a pronounced difference. I'm sure the actual sweetness isn't affected. It's the mental reaction to it.

20 hours ago, genio said:

I also tested this a year ago when I had to feed a cat. I mashed their wet food while humming, the cat ate the food and not even a couple minutes later... The cat threw up the food as if it couldn't handle whatever energy I transferred into it by humming...

Again, post hoc fallacy.  And ridiculous.  Consider more ordinary causal explanations - e.g. cats often throw up.  Overeating, chewing on plants, hairballs, the small child next door slipping them cake frosting, or whatever.  In this case, you happened to notice it and decided to take a coincidence as supportive of your crackpot theory while ignoring all the times the cat eats and doesn't throw up, or throws up when no one has hummed at his food.  

21 hours ago, genio said:

I've noticed that when I'm cooking and I decide to hum while I'm stirring the food. The food gains whatever energy that is released from humming.

No, it really doesn't. The food has precisely the number of calories it has, whether it's been sung-to or sworn-at or snubbed altogether. However, when you are happy cooking, you may apply seasoning more generously, or pay closer attention to temperature and duration, so that the food is prepared more competently than if you do it as an unwanted chore.

21 hours ago, genio said:

The cat threw up the food as if it couldn't handle whatever energy I transferred into it by humming. The cat never throwed up when I fed it wet cat food previously.

The cat wolfed down her food - possibly because it was richer than usual - and chucked it up because it was unchewed. Or she had hairballs, as The Vat said. One of mine throws up at least once a week, because he's a greedy bugger and tries to gobble up everything before the other two get to it. Still manages to stay overweight, so I guess he's absorbing the energy.

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

And I know people who hum as they eat.

It's a form of self-comforting - easing anxiety or expressing pleasure, like the unconscious purring of a kitten - that some people developed in infancy and retain for life. It doesn't affect the food.

Edited by Peterkin

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Humming is a sound wave. It’s a vibration through the air. Vibration makes molecules bounce against each other. That means heating up, and you’re not humming loudly or intensely enough to heat your food in any relevant or meaningful way, especially in context of the hot orange blue flame beneath. It’s like holding a flashlight against the sun, or pissing in an ocean. 

Assuming that the "type" of energy transferred into the food is sound waves.

What if I'm also producing subatomic particles when I'm humming my unique tune? Would it be possible to measure this type of energy?

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

Humming can have an effect on the brain. The action or sound can affect your reaction to the food through taste etc. So there's no reason why it shouldn't have an effect. It's a mental effect, nothing to do with energy.

I saw a brief clip on a tv program a few days ago, where researchers recorded the sounds made by gorillas when they are eating, and in fact they were humming constantly. And I know people who hum as they eat. It's quiet, and not always obvious, and they probably don't know they are doing it.

And I can't quote the details, but I vaguely remember someone doing a trial on the sweetness of food, humming and not humming, and there was a pronounced difference. I'm sure the actual sweetness isn't affected. It's the mental reaction to it.

These effects are on others. It's others commenting on the food without me telling them at all about this energy transfer into the food.

Humming activates the parasympathetic nervous system.

47 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Again, post hoc fallacy.  And ridiculous.  Consider more ordinary causal explanations - e.g. cats often throw up.  Overeating, chewing on plants, hairballs, the small child next door slipping them cake frosting, or whatever.  In this case, you happened to notice it and decided to take a coincidence as supportive of your crackpot theory while ignoring all the times the cat eats and doesn't throw up, or throws up when no one has hummed at his food.  

I knew I was going to be called out on this because I feel logical fallacies in my brain. I guess I'm going to have to visit my parents and feed the cat after humming and stirring their wet food. Watch the smart cat that never throws up... throw up every single time.

56 minutes ago, genio said:

What if I'm also producing subatomic particles when I'm humming my unique tune? Would it be possible to measure this type of energy?

Just bc you use fancy words doesn’t mean anything fancy is happening. 

In fact, I’m fairly comfortable telling you absolutely nothing is happening here other than a fun fictional narrative in your head. End program. 

1 hour ago, genio said:

Interesting idea. You should investigate it scientifically.

10 hours ago, iNow said:

Just bc you use fancy words doesn’t mean anything fancy is happening. 

In fact, I’m fairly comfortable telling you absolutely nothing is happening here other than a fun fictional narrative in your head. End program. 

Who made you king? This thread is in "speculations" for a reason. To speculate.

10 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Interesting idea. You should investigate it scientifically.

Any idea "how" I can measure subatomic particles at home?

3 hours ago, genio said:

Any idea "how" I can measure subatomic particles at home?

None whatsoever. But then, Gericke didn't know how to produce electricity and Volta didn't know to store it, until they figured it out. That's what science is: after you're done with speculating, you think, study, observe and experiment.

4 hours ago, genio said:

Any idea "how" I can measure subatomic particles at home

If you are successful in exposing this gap in our scientific  knowledge you will become famous and also be in high demand as a TV cookery guru.

I suggest approaching Nigella Lawson or Heston Blumenthal for  a spot on one of their shows to begin with.

Have you tried humming to dishes with honey in them?The bees are God's imps.

The condescending

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

None whatsoever. But then, Gericke didn't know how to produce electricity and Volta didn't know to store it, until they figured it out. That's what science is: after you're done with speculating, you think, study, observe and experiment.

I have done experiments by feeding others food I cooked while humming and when they weren't in the room or aware of this food transformation. Every single one of them had some odd comment like they could taste this supernatural energy. I already know that it sounds absolutely crazy.

I have no way of measuring it.

Anyone else who's going to comment some condescending crap. Please leave and find a hobby.

Edited by genio

1 minute ago, CharonY said:

If soundwaves affect food in a measurable way, then the food of most chefs would be lethal. Do you know how much shouting and swearing there is in a typical kitchen?

I didn't say soundwaves. I don't know what this energy is.

Depends on the restaurant kitchen. You've probably been watching too much Gordon Ramsay.

Can the following be quantified?

https://www.google.com/search?q=cooking+food+with+love

One of the world's best chefs says you can taste the love in really good food | The World from PRX

3 minutes ago, genio said:

Depends on the restaurant kitchen. You've probably been watching too much Gordon Ramsay.

I have got friends who are chefs and I worked in a couple. It is not a quite place. 

4 minutes ago, genio said:

I didn't say soundwaves. I don't know what this energy is.

So magic. I think good chefs are magical so there is that (note: same level of evidence you provided so far).

4 hours ago, CharonY said:

I have got friends who are chefs and I worked in a couple. It is not a quite place. 

So magic. I think good chefs are magical so there is that (note: same level of evidence you provided so far).

This is a speculation thread to get to the bottom of the truth. I'm not here standing on a soapbox claiming I know what this energy is.

The arrogance from people on this forum is astronomical. It's like people come on here to prove how much they know. Constant ego talk.

3 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Another excellent idea!

If you have nothing nice to say. Don't say anything at all.

22 minutes ago, genio said:

This is a speculation thread to get to the bottom of the truth. I'm not here standing on a soapbox claiming I know what this energy is.

Your mistake is assuming that there is some magical energy rather than if there is one. We know that humming creates soundwaves. You kind of dismissed that. So now you believe that your humming has properties that are based on something that no one has ever documented. Which makes it indistinguishable from magic at this point.

On the contrary the majority of our members enjoy well thought out and well presented debates on a wide variety of topics.

Simply pulling ideas out of one's imagination typically doesn't qualify. For example humming itself would be extremely unlikely to affect anything with regards to the food being cooked.

If the food tastes better due to humming then the likely argument is that the humming affects the mental susceptibility to enjoying the food that has been cooked. Taste is highly subjective to mental states and personal opinions.

We all have those relatives that no matter how good a meal is prepared or how well it tastes they will find disgusting  

27 minutes ago, genio said:

The arrogance from people on this forum is astronomical. It's like people come on here to prove how much they know. Constant ego talk.

If you have nothing nice to say. Don't say anything at all.

2 hours ago, Mordred said:

If the food tastes better due to humming then the likely argument is that the humming affects the mental susceptibility to enjoying the food

If there is indeed any real effect or phenomenon to be studied here, it’s very obviously this. 

Similar to the placebo effect, our mood affects our response to flavors and smells and tastes and joy from all of those things.

Not a lot of angry people tend to hum. Humming implies frivolity. 

12 hours ago, genio said:

This thread is in "speculations" for a reason. To speculate.

Recommend you review the rules of this subforum before commenting further. 

Hint: It’s not the “wild assed guess” and “make shit up” or “pull ideas out of my ass” forum… and that’s for a reason.