Hamburgers in one piece... [cooking]

Externet

Hello.  

I buy some ground meat.  Add some salt and pepper, sometimes chopped onions, form the patties.  Everything falls apart on the frying pan.   More when flipping.

If it was a barbecue grill, it would all fall in pieces into the gaps.   What is the trick to keep it in one piece ?  😟  

If it won't hold its shape because it's mushy, add some breadcrumbs to reduce moisture. If it crumbles because it's too dry, add an egg into the mix to bind the meat & veg. I've been sticking a finger in the middle of the burgers lately to keep them from swelling, not sure why that works.

It may also be that the meat is very lean and dry. Breadcrumbs, oatmeal or a little cornmeal will certainly help, as will the egg.

Also, if you form the patties quite firm and flat, then refrigerate them for half an hour, they might hold their shape better. 

If all else fails, lay them flat on an ungreased baking sheet, in the oven, at 350-375 F,  flipping after about 15 minutes. Less handling = less breakage.

1 minute ago, Peterkin said:

Less handling = less breakage.

My experience is a little different. I think really mixing and massaging that ground beef makes it more putty like so it sticks together, but the texture once cooked is not the greatest. Less handling is preferable to me, but I'm not sure that makes the meat break/crumble less.

21 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Less handling is preferable to me, but I'm not sure that makes the meat break/crumble less.

I meant in the cooking, not the mixing.

The more important thing, probably, is to really jam those patties together tight and firm, so the breadcrumbs can get a grip on the meat.

And if you think beef is a challenge, try frying an intact quinoa, beet or soy burger! (pork and turkey are easy; veggie is really hard!)

2 hours ago, Externet said:

What is the trick to keep it in one piece ?  😟  

You need: ground meat, egg (yolk), bread crumbs, flour, onion, pepper, salt, garlic. Mix the yolk. Squeeze garlic. Cut the onion into tiny pieces (boxes) and lightly fry, not too much. When it is cold, mix with the rest of the ingredients. On top, in the last step, use flour as a covering. Some people put them in the refrigerator for a while.

The pan (Teflon) must be well heated.

Use a stopwatch on your smartphone, to count down 3-4 minutes for each side. Trying to change the side too soon may end up damaging it.

Swap sides using a wooden spatula.

It is very important to already bake one side of the ground schnitzel before trying to swap sides.

How to chop an onion (properly):

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_chop_an_onion/

or Gordon's way:

Edited by Sensei

53 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

And if you think beef is a challenge, try frying an intact quinoa, beet or soy burger! (pork and turkey are easy; veggie is really hard!)

The secret to a great veggie or soy burger is to fry it up in bacon grease. Your welcome.

And bacon grease is consistent with veganism, so long as you do it by means of liposuction on free-foraging pigs.  The pig is more svelte, you get the great flavor, everyone wins.  

I agree with Sensei.  The important bit is to hold off flipping for at least 3 minutes. It allows the cooking to bind one side, before you try to turn it. 

If you start flipping early, you are turning it at the floppy stage. 

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

I agree with Sensei.  The important bit is to hold off flipping for at least 3 minutes. It allows the cooking to bind one side, before you try to turn it. 

If you start flipping early, you are turning it at the floppy stage. 

It is also necessary to use a appropriate tool for flipping it. The wider the better. e.g. a fork is a bad idea... The same is true of European pancakes (they are 1-2 mm thick and 20-25 cm wide). Trying to use a fork (or too soon) to flip pancakes will end up ruining them.

ps. Try squeezing bananas with a fork (sugar not needed, but cinnamon recommended) and use as a filling for European pancakes, then roll. Lovely taste.

5 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Trying to use a fork (or too soon) to flip pancakes will end up ruining them.

Thin, long spatula, or the perfectly-shaped, perfectly smooth, perfectly greased pan. I recently got one good enough to flip one-handed, up in the air. There's nothing like having the right tool!

The secret with flipping pancakes is good non-stick, and a gentle upward curve, on the outside edge of the pan. You have to give the pan a very sudden side to side shake, before flipping, to break the sticky, if the non-stick is less than perfect. Just a tiny amount from side to side, but very sudden. Then start the flip with the pancake sliding forwards, followed by the flip. 

On the mix, you need it wet enough to pour easily, but no wetter. 

Best served with lemon squeeze and sprinkled sugar to taste. Or with lemon marmalade. My favourite. 

The guy on the video does the onion chopping almost as well as me, but it is fine, he will get trough the learning curve...

Thanks for the suggestions above.  The addition of egg, bread crumbs, corn meal... is not what I see at a 'fast food' drooly hamburger.  There has to be a trick somewhere.  Perhaps mister MacDonald and friends know.

Do I open another thread for how to successfully stick grated garlic to frying/fried potatoes ? or add it here ?  In USA they do not know what fried potatoes are unless you say french fries...

It is skidding off-topic into pancakes +...

Will not do it by keyboard  nor asking to nor buying one of these --- > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPTcIutsoTg&ab_channel=LiveScience

Edited by Externet
Added video link.

20 minutes ago, Externet said:

There has to be a trick somewhere. 

Machine-compressed and frozen patties of fairly high fat content. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGh7p23_I4

I bet they put them on the grill still frozen (which also works with the despised veggie burger), time the cooking and turn only once.

20 minutes ago, Externet said:

how to successfully stick grated garlic to frying/fried potatoes

I would probably just decant the potatoes, hot and fast from the oil, into a metal or ceramic bowl with the herbs, salt, grated garlic, fried onion or whatever you like, cover with a tight lid and toss vigorously.

Edited by Peterkin