Spooky experiences

Peterkin

40 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Having a funny feeling is 'so unpleasant'? I'm a bit amazed that you've never had a 'funny feeling'. 

Feeling that somebody you care for is about to die isn't funny. I've had lots of funny feelings, but as I've already admitted, not that one.

25 minutes ago, Genady said:

Also, there are no statistics about people feeling things, not saying, and nothing happening.

Exactly. So, statistics, even supposed ones, shed very little light on this subject.

54 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

My mother had it, only in regard to her siblings: I know of four occasions when she had a premonition of their or their spouse's death

And the person died soon after? Did you hear about the premonition before or after the fact? Has she ever claimed to have a premonition that did not occur soon after?

4 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

I've had lots of funny feelings, but as I've already admitted, not that one.

Did any of your funny feelings turn out to be a premonition of something that happened soon after?

6 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Feeling that somebody you care for is about to die isn't funny.

When someone uses the term 'funny feeling' they generally mean funny 'strange', not funny 'haha'.

11 minutes ago, zapatos said:

And the person died soon after?

The same day or night, in every case.

Did you hear about the premonition before or after the fact?

Before. Several weeks before, since mail from Europe took some time to arrive. We didn't have internet back then.

Has she ever claimed to have a premonition that did not occur soon after?

No, she never "claimed" anything. She just said: "I think George is dead." or something like.

Did any of your funny feelings turn out to be a premonition of something that happened soon after?

Oh sure, but they were inconsequential events. Could have been just observation and projection or the standard fallback: coincidence. Deaf as a post to the paranormal, me.    

Edited by Peterkin

4 hours ago, Genady said:

Of course, there are many holes in science yet to be filled. Otherwise, scientists would be out of job.

But I want to say a few words about statistics. 

So, you turn switch once and a device blows - coincidence, but if you turn switch 20 times and 20 devices blow is less tenable? No, it is not. If it was 20 out of 20, sure. But if it was 20 out of 1000, not. 2% still mean coincidence. Did it really happen each time? Do you have these statistics?

Another statistical consideration is like this. Let's say that on average it happens 1% of times. This means that there is one person in, say, 100 to whom it happens 2% of times. There is one person in 1000 to whom it happens 3% of times. There is one in 10000 to whom it happens 4%, one in 100000 with 5%, etc. Could you just happen to be that one out of 100000? Somebody is. Maybe this is the explanation why things like this happen to only some people? Straightforward statistics?

There are statistical methods to refute null hypothesis with a desired level of confidence, but they need data.

You think my father would not have understood that very well? We didn't document anything to get statistics. The data was presented. The statistical mind analyzed it, and was forced to accept the results. I don't need to prove anything to myself, just accept it. Understanding it would be better. As for proving evidence for others others, Why? When anything you offer is going to be met with a dismissal of your rational processes or accusations of charlatanism. Either way, a discredit to you.

I don't know of homes where incandescent bulbs are used anymore.  They were affected less reliably.    Electric Jugs and toasters were more often like 30 out of 50. Reliably enough that when challenged on my refusal to put on the jug, because "the element will blow and I'll be blamed  for not covering the it". more often than not I could demonstrate.  I don't own a toaster and won't touch one belonging to anyone else.

The feeling I would never describe as funny. I've had those too, the fear for some one thats some times justified and other times not. This is different. Less a fear or discomfort. Not the same as considering what if...and then worrying about it. Its a knowing.

I understand coincidence and accept a lot under that heading.

Edited by naitche

5 hours ago, Genady said:

Did it really happen each time? Do you have these statistics?

It's happened to me 6 times, the exact same experience/feeling sensation, followed by death the day after. 4 of those the person dying has popped in my head just prior to the feeling. On 2 occasions I was in conversation with a close relative of the person but had no indication of who would die.

That's all I have, I can't measure it, I can't predict it, I can't control it, I can't describe the sensation in words in a way that someone who doesn't experience it would be able to exactly understand it.

It maybe coincidence, it may be woo woo, I have no theory, claim or any other agenda. I just thought since this thread is about spooky experiences (I assume, difficult to explain away with current science) I'd share mine.

It's not a nice experience, one I don't wish to keep experiencing.   

2 hours ago, Peterkin said:

No, she never "claimed" anything. She just said: "I think George is dead." or something like

She probably experienced a similar feeling I did. People who don't understand it themselves are quick to dismiss it. I have explained that its not like anything you can easily describe. Its not like a premonition in the sense that you get some image or a word in your ear... its a sensation, a gut feeling as some might say. 

And its not nice, its out of your control, you cannot predict it happening and you can't stop it, or ignore it when it does happen. 

2 hours ago, Peterkin said:

No, she never "claimed" anything. She just said: "I think George is dead." or something like.

You can't make the claim, with out rational explanation to back it up. I'm well aware of that. Never the less, I believe it to be so and can't dissuade myself.

1 hour ago, naitche said:

You can't make the claim, with out rational explanation to back it up. I'm well aware of that. Never the less, I believe it to be so and can't dissuade myself

For myself if it had been a couple of times and inconsistent, I'd probably dismiss it as just coincidence or overreactive or selective rational. But it has been 6 times now, same feeling same outcome, different scenarios, different relationships with the people involved.

No claim, but certainly spooky and not pleasant. 

It certainly could be just down to odds, like Genady suggests. It can be quite difficult to grasp such statistics when it involves one self, especially so when feelings are considered.   

Edited by Intoscience
spelling

7 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Exactly. So, statistics, even supposed ones, shed very little light on this subject.

Exactly. That's why I've objected to the statistical argument above,

If this was experienced once, sure. Multiple times with similar outcome each time is less tenable.

6 hours ago, naitche said:

You can't make the claim, with out rational explanation to back it up.

Commenting on your own feeling is not "a claim" that requires you to explain it rationally; it's just conversation.

But I can certainly understand why someone would not talk about such feelings outside their intimate circle - or maybe even to anyone at all. People so often react negatively: think you're lying, or hallucinating, or deluded. And there are also the credulous who would pester you to make predictions for them, and charlatans who make false claims to clairvoyance.

It seems best to keep one's genuine spooky experience private - so I wouldn't be surprised if the documentation were unreliable.  

9 hours ago, naitche said:

more often than not I could demonstrate.  I don't own a toaster and won't touch one belonging to anyone else.

This one sounds different than the situations described by others, in that yours seems like it can be subject to scientific scrutiny. Would make for an interesting published scientific article if demonstrated by science to be true.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

This one sounds different than the situations described by others, in that yours seems like it can be subject to scientific scrutiny. Would make for an interesting published scientific article if demonstrated by science to be true.

I'd donate a toaster or two for the study.

I once had a workshop I built in my attic and every time I would go up to do some work I noticed an old rocking chair that would be rocking as I turned to leave. The chair was in a difficult position to get to so I couldn't really get close enough to check it out but every time I turned to leave the attic that damn chair would begin to rock. To add to the eeriness of the situation that chair was an antique that belonged to a long dead relative who spent a lot of time rocking in that chair when she was alive. Finally one day after doing my best to turn quickly many many times to catch the apparition I finally figured out what was causing the chair to rock... My cat! My cat was following me into the attic sit in the chair and watch me and would always jump out of the chair as i turned to go. It would vanish down the stairs in the not so well lit part of the attic and leave the chair rocking. 

I was very glad to have figured that one out!     

When my father was ill and his condition deteriorating, I said to my wife one day, "He will die on [my daughter]'s birthday." Several days later, in the morning of that exact day, he did. 

I always thought of this experience as a combination of extrapolation and coincidence.

I once dreamed that I'd killed someone, and hid the body in a nearby hedge. When I woke up, I must have stayed in a half-asleep state, because I spent the whole morning deeply depressed, totally convinced that the body would soon be discovered, and I would spend the rest of my life in prison. I started debating with myself whether I should move the body, and the risks involved, and I was frustrated that I couldn't exactly remember the details of where I left it. I was confused, wondering how it could be that I couldn't remember, and I sat down and it dawned on me out of the fog that my brain was obviously in, that it had been a dream.

The relief that flooded over me was unbelievable, it was like I'd turned my life around in an instant.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that has had a dream carry on into waking like that. For me, it was just the once in a lifetime, but for some, it's probably much more severe and frequent. You can dream literally anything, and some of the most convincing UFO stories might well be dreams that people had, that somehow got confused with waking reality. 

I was able to work out what happened, but sometimes for some people, that might not be possible. 

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

These experiences started when I was 11 and were very much more pronounced, impossible to hide  from those close to me. Much less as I aged. Life style likely accounts for a lot there. I did contact the only paranormal researcher I could find in Australia with a view to participating, but after asking a few questions decided the head of that was very biased to non scientific theories and no help to me, nor I to him. I never left my name or gave personal information. Long ago now. I may have watched too many movies, or  just become more cynical, but submitting myself as a guinea pig these days isn't going to happen.

3 hours ago, Genady said:

When my father was ill and his condition deteriorating, I said to my wife one day, "He will die on [my daughter]'s birthday." Several days later, in the morning of that exact day, he did. 

I always thought of this experience as a combination of extrapolation and coincidence.

I have those instances too. I can and do brush those off, same as you did. Maybe they could be included too, but if there is  doubt its best to attribute it to coincidence or extrapolation. It would be too easy to see connections where there are none and loose sight of reality. Some thing I witness often in others who have experienced weird things. The dream of my friend I also wrote off, and another involving my Grand fathers death by drowning till they confirmed. I only count what is physically evidenced, or can't be easily explained otherwise. 

Of the instances I put in the category of weird /spooky, there is either unexplained physical evidence, or an inescapable certainty with out evidence. Because those instances are always born out, and there is an intensity to the feeling that brings a nervous agitation or energy  not usual to my self.

eg. a surprise visit to a friend in my late teens. I found him at the gate to his house as I approached but as he did an intense fear over took me. He invited me in, saying his parents were getting Married that afternoon and prepping. I said not a good time, I'd come back another. He insisted I come in and they would happy to see me. I did not want to enter the gate, let alone the house. Trying to find an explanation for my fear, all I could think was there was going to be an explosion. The house was all electric and I told myself it was ridiculous and stupid, just go in. I did, but was so over come with fear I couldn't excuse myself  fast enough and walked away berating myself  an idiot for how I must have acted, asking myself where I could expect a damn explosion of all things. My friends father died within days, driving a forklift into power lines.

I had no liking for the man as an abusive father and suspected Pedophile (confirmed by one of his daughters years later)

I had no idea what was happening, why, or what I expected other than  EXPLOSION!! It isn't nice.

Edited by naitche

1 minute ago, naitche said:

These experiences started when I was 11 and were very much more pronounced, impossible to hide  from those close to me. Much less as I aged. Life style likely accounts for a lot there. I did contact the only paranormal researcher I could find in Australia with a view to participating, but after asking a few questions decided the head of that was very biased to non scientific theories and no help to me. I never left my name or gave personal information. Long ago now. I may have watched too many movies, or  just become more cynical, but submitting myself as a guinea pig these days isn't going to happen.

I have those instances too. I can and do brush those off, same as you did. Maybe they could be included too, but if there is  doubt its best to attribute it to coincidence or extrapolation. It would be too easy to see connections where there are none and loose sight of reality. Some thing I witness often in others who have experienced weird things. The dream of my friend I also wrote off, and another involving my Grand fathers death by drowning till they confirmed. I only count what is physically evidenced, or can't be easily explained otherwise. 

Of the instances I put in the category of weird /spooky, there is either unexplained physical evidence, or an inescapable certainty with out evidence. Because those instances are always born out, and there is an intensity to the feeling that brings a nervous agitation  not usual to my self.

eg. a surprise visit to a friend in my late teens. I found him at the gate to his house as I approached but as he did an intense fear over took me. He invited me in, saying his parents were getting Married that afternoon and prepping. I said not a good time, I'd come back another. He insisted I come in and they would happy to see me. I did not want to enter the gate, let alone the house. Trying to find an explanation for my fear, all I could think was there was going to be an explosion. The house was all electric and I told myself it was ridiculous and stupid, just go in. I did, but was so over come with fear I couldn't excuse myself  fast enough and walked away berating myself  an idiot for how I must have acted, asking myself where I could expect a damn explosion of all things. My friends father died within days, driving a forklift into power lines.

I had no liking for the man as an abusive father and suspected Pedophile (confirmed by one of his daughters years later)

I had no idea what was happening, why, or what I expected other than  EXPLOSION!! It isn't nice.

I've had a murder dream. The way I look at it, it is my brain harmlessly acting out RL scenarios. Obviously we get the emotional feedback and learn from them.

33 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I once dreamed that I'd killed someone, and hid the body in a nearby hedge. When I woke up, I must have stayed in a half-asleep state, because I spent the whole morning deeply depressed, totally convinced that the body would soon be discovered, and I would spend the rest of my life in prison. I started debating with myself whether I should move the body, and the risks involved, and I was frustrated that I couldn't exactly remember the details of where I left it. I was confused, wondering how it could be that I couldn't remember, and I sat down and it dawned on me out of the fog that my brain was obviously in, that it had been a dream.

The relief that flooded over me was unbelievable, it was like I'd turned my life around in an instant.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that has had a dream carry on into waking like that. For me, it was just the once in a lifetime, but for some, it's probably much more severe and frequent. You can dream literally anything, and some of the most convincing UFO stories might well be dreams that people had, that somehow got confused with waking reality. 

I was able to work out what happened, but sometimes for some people, that might not be possible. 

Thats happened to me once. I dreamed of a war breaking out between countries. I saw the report on the news. I went through half the day believing it true until friends popped in and no one even even mentioned it. I'm glad I realized before I did!

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

I once had a workshop I built in my attic and every time I would go up to do some work I noticed an old rocking chair that would be rocking as I turned to leave. The chair was in a difficult position to get to so I couldn't really get close enough to check it out but every time I turned to leave the attic that damn chair would begin to rock. To add to the eeriness of the situation that chair was an antique that belonged to a long dead relative who spent a lot of time rocking in that chair when she was alive. Finally one day after doing my best to turn quickly many many times to catch the apparition I finally figured out what was causing the chair to rock... My cat! My cat was following me into the attic sit in the chair and watch me and would always jump out of the chair as i turned to go. It would vanish down the stairs in the not so well lit part of the attic and leave the chair rocking. 

I was very glad to have figured that one out!     

You are clearly off your rocker!

57 minutes ago, naitche said:

These experiences started when I was 11 and were very much more pronounced, impossible to hide  from those close to me. Much less as I aged. Life style likely accounts for a lot there. I did contact the only paranormal researcher I could find in Australia with a view to participating, but after asking a few questions decided the head of that was very biased to non scientific theories and no help to me, nor I to him. I never left my name or gave personal information. Long ago now. I may have watched too many movies, or  just become more cynical, but submitting myself as a guinea pig these days isn't going to happen.

Of the instances I put in the category of weird /spooky, there is either unexplained physical evidence, or an inescapable certainty with out evidence. Because those instances are always born out, and there is an intensity to the feeling that brings a nervous agitation or energy  not usual to my self.

A connection between your fear to enter that house and that guy electrocuting himself some days later seems quite incidental.

8 hours ago, mistermack said:

I once dreamed that I'd killed someone, and hid the body in a nearby hedge.

I have had the same dream myself on a number of occasions, expect I was convinced I'd buried the body in some nearby waste land. 

11 hours ago, Genady said:

When considering my own death I have always imagined it to be on my own birthday. Being very OCD I prefer simplicity,order and symmetry. So my grave stone would read exactly my age to the year!   

11 hours ago, Genady said:

Or Maybe you just knew, somehow... 

13 hours ago, Genady said:

A connection between your fear to enter that house and that guy electrocuting himself some days later seems quite incidental.

Yep, especially given the information that he knew the father living there to be abusive.  Humans have a lot of retrospective bias in remembering past feelings.  We fit them into a current narrative.

Side note: when I murder someone and bury their body, it usually involves someone's excessive use of a subwoofer in a car stereo.  Hopefully we're reaching the point where most audiophiles experience paranormal anxiety as they pass my house and they then turn down the bass.

8 hours ago, Intoscience said:

When considering my own death I have always imagined it to be on my own birthday.

When considering my death, I always imagine it to be decades in the future.  😀

I have read somewhere that it is more common to die around one's birthday than would be by chance alone.  No idea how that could be or even if it's factual.  Maybe related to the rigors of celebrating?  

3 minutes ago, TheVat said:

I have read somewhere that it is more common to die around one's birthday than would be by chance alone.  No idea how that could be or even if it's factual.  Maybe related to the rigors of celebrating?  

These facts: my father died on my daughter's birthday, and my son was born on my mother's birthday.

44 minutes ago, TheVat said:

I have read somewhere that it is more common to die around one's birthday than would be by chance alone.  No idea how that could be or even if it's factual. 

If true, I would expect it to be the result of a human preoccupation with marking milestones. I've made it to 90; I can let go now; I'll just hang on till my birthday and see the family one more time.  Reportedly, Scott Nearing decided to stop living on his 100th birthday, but was so tough, it took two more weeks.  

I had a rather awful feeling today that I will die in a head-on collision on the highway. I suspect it's more the function of a growing phobia - speed - than an example of clairvoyance.

Edited by Peterkin