Sex Machines

Agent Smith

15 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Engineers should never design systems that make the engineer redundant. 

A very interesting comment as far as I'm concerned. Engineers have to live with guilt on that score: due to constraints (material, and mathematical, cost), s/he has to design/build structures (houses/bridges/etc.) in a way that each element in a structure is multi-functional (doing two/more jobs at once), the exact inverse of redundancy where two/more elements serve the same purpose (safety first).

The engineer has to do a fine balancing act between multi-functionality (cost) and redundancy (safety).

👍

19 hours ago, Agent Smith said:

The sex simple machines (ref: sextuplets) :

1. Lever

2. Wheel & Axle

3. Inclined plane

4. Pulley

5. Screw

6. Wedge

What's the definition of a machine?

No restrictions on comments/observations. Feel free to say anything (interesting) you want. 

There was a young man named Green,

Who invented a w*nking machine.

On the ninety-ninth stroke,

The bloody thing broke,

And whipped his balls into cream.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we reduce all machines (from smartphones to advanced robots) to some combination of these 6 early machines?

For example, a vehicle = wheel & axle + pulley + screw + inclined plane! I may have missed something of course; feel free to improve the equation. 

4 minutes ago, Agent Smith said:

Can we reduce all machines (from smartphones to advanced robots) to some combination of these 6 early machines?

For example, a vehicle = wheel & axle + pulley + screw + inclined plane! I may have missed something of course; feel free to improve the equation. 

Of course not.

2 hours ago, Agent Smith said:

Why not?

I can barely summon the energy for this, but...[stifles yawn].... because there are many other types of component in most machines of any complexity: off the top of my head, gears, blades, cranks, pistons and cylinders...oh and probably most crucial of all, bearings, both plain and rolling element type - plus a host of others, not least sensors of various kinds and microprocessors. 

Now let's guess what happens next. I reckon you will claim, in some way, that all of these can be treated as special cases of the six items on your original list. At which point it will be "Thank you and goodnight" from me.  😉  

Edited by exchemist

31 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Now let's guess what happens next. I reckon you will claim, in some way, that all of these can be treated as special cases of the six items on your original list.

That didn't cross my mind at all! Thanks a million for letting me know.

32 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Thank you and goodnight

Thank you and goodnight. 😰