What is your attitude towards Driving Anger?---An interesting topic I saw from a research article in an OA journal

lulu2021

Driving Anger, a specific situation consisting of emotional structures of feelings and thoughts associated with anger produced during driving.

I happened to know this definition by reading an article (Convolutional Neural Network and Bayesian Gaussian Process in Driving Anger Recognition) published in an open-access journal (Engineering, https://www.scirp.org/journal/eng). It is very interesting.

Actually, I am not very familiar with the frontier technology to recognize driver anger and distinguish angry driving. Just interested in this saying "Driving Anger". Does anybody have the same experience when driving a car?  What is your attitude towards Driving Anger? Has your city applied the new technology to identify this emotion?

Full article: https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=101789

19 minutes ago, lulu2021 said:

Driving Anger, a specific situation consisting of emotional structures of feelings and thoughts associated with anger produced during driving.

I happened to know this definition by reading an article (Convolutional Neural Network and Bayesian Gaussian Process in Driving Anger Recognition) published in an open-access journal (Engineering, https://www.scirp.org/journal/eng). It is very interesting.

Actually, I am not very familiar with the frontier technology to recognize driver anger and distinguish angry driving. Just interested in this saying "Driving Anger". Does anybody have the same experience when driving a car?  What is your attitude towards Driving Anger? Has your city applied the new technology to identify this emotion?

Full article: https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=101789

We call it road rage in Australia, and we have certainly had many experiences when that rage reaches a stage where personal and property damage has resulted. 

I'm an old bugger and drive fairly defencefully, and have had experiences with other drivers tooting and yelling obscenities at me  if I'm going too  slow for them, even though I always keep to the left. [remembering that in Australia we drive on the right side of the road, which is the left, while Americans drive on the wrong side which is the right ☺️]

All jokes aside though, it is something that should be eliminated.

1 hour ago, lulu2021 said:

What is your attitude towards Driving Anger?

Some people are simply too immature, regardless of age, to have driving license..

1 hour ago, beecee said:

All jokes aside though, it is something that should be eliminated.

Driver-to-be should be trained on realistic car simulators. Simulation of the worstest drivers around you, with the worstest possible accidents.. After being part of a simulated crash with almost not possible to survive probability, they should realize driving is not for them. Astronauts-to-be and airplane pilots-to-be are learning how to act during accident. Driver-to-be are learning just "how to park a car" and similar nonsense.. The result of this, is in the death statistics each year..

They just don't know what to do when things go wrong on the road. Nobody taught them.

I think far too many people compete while driving when they should cooperate. I think the folks who're always trying to get to the head of the pack are responsible for ALL the road rage, since they're usually angry at slower drivers plus they anger others with the stress they cause in traffic.

34 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I think far too many people compete while driving when they should cooperate. I think the folks who're always trying to get to the head of the pack are responsible

Old fashioned London drivers would agree 110% with this first sentence.  +1

Responsible for some definitely, but ALL   ?

39 minutes ago, studiot said:

Responsible for some definitely, but ALL   ?

They're usually angry at the slower drivers who're obeying the rules. When they cut in front of others to gain position, they cause brake lights to drain energy from the whole traffic system, and provoke anger in drivers who would otherwise be calm and cooperative in general.

I say ALL because if driving should be cooperative, then what else is there to get angry about, other than selfish, unpredictable, risk-it-all-to-get-ahead-of-you asshats who fancy themselves great drivers?

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I say ALL because if driving should be cooperative, then what else is there to get angry about, other than selfish, unpredictable, risk-it-all-to-get-ahead-of-you asshats who fancy themselves great drivers?

Not all uncooperative drivers are angry.

Consider the situation in a busy city street with continuous streams of traffic in both directions.

Now consider the driver who wishes to turn left into a sidestreet thereby necessitating crossing the oncoming traffic.

There are many variations of this scenario, but all are expedited by cooperation.

Sadly some (many? most?)  drivers do not cooperate in this situation.
They are not angry, they just don't know any better.

45 minutes ago, studiot said:

Not all uncooperative drivers are angry.

Consider the situation in a busy city street with continuous streams of traffic in both directions.

Now consider the driver who wishes to turn left into a sidestreet thereby necessitating crossing the oncoming traffic.

There are many variations of this scenario, but all are expedited by cooperation.

Sadly some (many? most?)  drivers do not cooperate in this situation.
They are not angry, they just don't know any better.

What I said was all the anger normally generated by driving seems centered around competitive drivers and their behavior. They're usually mad at others, and their tactics to resolve their anger result in normally passive drivers getting angry at THEM. What else is there to get angry about? I suppose one could argue there are technical malfunctions that can cause driving anger (mechanical failures in vehicles, signaling systems, road worthiness), but the kind of anger the OP is interested in seems to involve interactions between people.

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

What I said was all the anger normally generated by driving seems centered around competitive drivers and their behavior. They're usually mad at others, and their tactics to resolve their anger result in normally passive drivers getting angry at THEM. What else is there to get angry about? I suppose one could argue there are technical malfunctions that can cause driving anger (mechanical failures in vehicles, signaling systems, road worthiness), but the kind of anger the OP is interested in seems to involve interactions between people.

Yes I agree that the angry driver is not necessarily the competitive one.
But those that are blithely ignorant and unaware of the needs of other road users and therefore not competitive, can be the cause of anger in those others.

1 minute ago, studiot said:

Yes I agree that the angry driver is not necessarily the competitive one.
But those that are blithely ignorant and unaware of the needs of other road users and therefore not competitive, can be the cause of anger in those others.

But if they aren't driving competitively then they aren't a problem. Are you singling out drivers who aren't aware that their habits are dangerous and annoying? I can't picture someone who is causing a lot of brake lights behind them being "not competitive". 

I'm not saying the competitive driver is always angry, just that driving anger seems to center around the competitive driver and their behavior. Sometimes I think the anger at other drivers is at least an attempt to justify the dangerous behavior. It's actually worse when the asshat is having a great time weaving in and out of traffic, but making everyone else miserable.

Typically I'm a calm, cooperative driver. There is one situation though that I admit can raise my blood pressure. If there is a lot of traffic on the highway and progress is slow, that doesn't bother me at all, as there is nothing I can gain by getting passed the car in front of me; there is just another one in front of him and so on. But when the car in front of me is driving slowly and can readily move over to the right, but will not, and there is nothing but daylight in front of him, I quickly get annoyed. That promise of better progress on my trip, being blocked by one (what I consider to be) inconsiderate driver, really gets my goat. And there is nothing I can do about it but wait...

6 hours ago, lulu2021 said:

Has your city applied the new technology to identify this emotion?

What is this new technology that can identify this emotion?

40 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

But if they aren't driving competitively then they aren't a problem.

Is the driver of a stationary car being competitive ?

But he can be deuced annoying if his car is blocking someone else's path, when he himself can't go anywhere.

I think zap's example is good because it demonstrates that a driver can be angry, but still comply with the rules.

If he has started tailgating, flashing his lights and honking his horn that would have been rage IMHO.

So I am saying that rage is an over reaction to a (stressful) situation.

Edited by studiot

26 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

But if they aren't driving competitively then they aren't a problem. Are you singling out drivers who aren't aware that their habits are dangerous and annoying? I can't picture someone who is causing a lot of brake lights behind them being "not competitive". 

I may be wrong but I feel as if some people who live in the left lane think that if they are driving within the speed limit then they are justified in blocking the cars behind them.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

I may be wrong but I feel as if some people who live in the left lane think that if they are driving within the speed limit then they are justified in blocking the cars behind them.

I suppose if they behave that way in order to enforce the laws, they aren't being typically competitive, and they aren't exactly raging either. There are those who think being in the fast lane on a three-lane highway at 55 mph is legal and reasonable behavior simply because they aren't exiting for quite a while.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Is the driver of a stationary car being competitive ?

But he can be deuced annoying if his car is blocking someone else's path, when he himself can't go anywhere.

I could be wrong, but are these the situations that cause people to "rage" on the road? Or am I setting the bar too high for driving anger by excluding instances where rude gestures are the extent of the reaction?

Funny you should mention the passing lane hogging, speed limit enforcing, will not move even if you togglle your hi-beams, inconsiderate drivers, Zap.
It has been my experience ( at least until Covid reduced tourists during the past year ) that if you pull up behind one of those drivers in Canada, nine times out of ten, they have American State plates.

On the other hand, people here in Missouri tend to be polite drivers and as soon as they see the sign that says "Merge left - 5 miles ahead", they start getting into the left lane. Which is wonderful for me as I end up passing about 1000 cars as I don't merge until about 4 1/2 miles later.

1 minute ago, MigL said:

Funny you should mention the passing lane hogging, speed limit enforcing, will not move even if you togglle your hi-beams, inconsiderate drivers, Zap.
It has been my experience ( at least until Covid reduced tourists during the past year ) that if you pull up behind one of those drivers in Canada, nine times out of ten, they have American State plates.

I believe it. And typically they seem to be old people. They have nowhere to go and all day to get there.