Are you atheist?

kirishima666

1 minute ago, Peterkin said:

Not really.... but I'm used to that.

Well, if you insist on snipping the sentence "to further clarify my position.", then I can only conclude, your misunderstandings are deliberate, in order to slip the punch/question perhaps...

21 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

"to further clarify my position."

I understand that your are attempting "to further clarify your position", but your position has no evident relation to the statement I made regarding 20th century secularism; therefore I cannot regard it as a response. 

Just now, Peterkin said:

I understand that your are attempting "to further clarify your position", but your position has no evident relation to the statement I made regarding 20th century secularism; therefore I cannot regard it as a response. 

Rito.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

It means, religion's not your enemy,

in order to slip the punch/question perhaps = religion is not your enemy

Not a translation that springs automatically to mind. Thank you.

I actually knew that, back when I was attempting to explore the various sources and benefits of religious belief. Since then, the subject has shifted in several directions. In none of those areas am I directly involved with a religion, as either friend or foe, either beneficiary or victim, either advocate or denouncer. I find the phenomenon of spirituality, its historical ritualization, co-optation and institutionalization interesting, but have no personal use for it. 

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

"THEY" are...

Again with the post-cryptic! I have no known enemies. 

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Indeed, which makes you so sure that your enemies don't exist, at least on an intellectual level...

I didn't say I was sure; I said no known enemies. 

Does this have any connection to the topic?

OK, let me try again, from the beginning; Clearly Marx recognised that religion teaches contentment "the opiate of the people" and suggested that is a bad thing, as in it insidiously undermines society and promotes apathy in the face of a government that feeds off them.

I disagree with his interpretation of what contentment, and by extention religion, means to society; it's certainly no stretch to say "Contented people = peaceful people" and if we extend the drug analogy, some drugs are more insidious than other's; for instance, a drunken bloke slam's down his pint and says "right, you're going down" because he doesn't agree with a perfectly reasonable thought; meanwhile a stoned bloke says "na, your alright mate, you wanna toke".

Bearing in mind, how the Russian revolution worked out; was it better before or after, and for whom?

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

'm an atheist, you don't need a God to understand religion.

I know that. It is to that end I have studied anthropology, mythology and - to a limited degree - the history of the Christian churches. It's trying to explain what I understand about religion that leads into a quagmire.

Besides understanding, there is also attitude and taste. I prefer informed cognition to befuddled 'contentment', and I do not confuse living near a cave, a dumpster and a folly with living well. 

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Clearly Marx recognised that religion teaches contentment "the opiate of the people"

Clearly, he explicitly stated that contentment had no part in the people's oppression. 

suggested that is a bad thing, as in it insidiously undermines society and promotes apathy in the face of a government that feeds off them

He did not suggest any such thing. He laid out the mechanisms of industrial capitalism, in which both government and religious institutions were instrumental in preserving the imbalance of power and material wealth and subjugating the masses through fraud and coercion.

I disagree with his interpretation of what contentment, and by extention religion, means to society;

You're quite welcome to do so, but I wish it were done with sound textual and contextual understanding. In any case, neither your opinion nor mine affects what Marx wrote 180 years ago, in England. It's a reference, not a gospel. 

Bearing in mind, how the Russian revolution worked out; was it better before or after, and for whom?

That has no bearing on Marxist analysis.

Edited by Peterkin

23 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Besides understanding, there is also attitude and taste. I prefer informed cognition to befuddled 'contentment', and I do not confuse living near a cave, a dumpster and a folly with living well. 

paradox.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 12:20 PM, dimreepr said:

That has no bearing on Marxist analysis.

Really, why not?

You're quite welcome to do so, but I wish it were done with sound textual and contextual understanding. In any case, neither your opinion nor mine affects what Marx wrote 180 years ago, in England. It's a reference, not a gospel. 

Much like the American constitution, it made sense at the time and from his perspective...

One day, a cave will seem like heaven and tomorrow we'll forget it's comfort...

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, we2 said:

There was a time when I was an Atheist, however, I had an experience that laid me to question creation and I started studying which led to my belief in God today.

I studied the bible and other religious works to come to the conclusion that lack of belief is the only reasonable stance to take on the issue of gods.