Melania Trump: "Be Best"

Airbrush

If Melania asked me what I thought of the "Be Best" campaign, I would have told her to say:

"Be Your Best Each Day." 

It should apply to everyone, not just the "elite" few who ARE BEST, such as Donald is the best president ever, and certainly Melania is the best first lady ever. 

In the real world, everybody just tries to do their best relative to their circumstances.  If a person is crippled and declining day by day, then they could still try the best they can that day, and that's good enough.  Ok if they are not interested,  they won't be forced to try their best.  It's like a game of poker, you just do the best you can with the hand you were dealt.

Edited by Airbrush

6 hours ago, Ten oz said:

That isn't a description of both competitive and cooperation behaviors being favored.

Makes you wonder how bees and ants evolved, to both co-operate and compete.
And they've been around far longer than we have.
( is co-operation just another way to compete ? )

5 hours ago, Airbrush said:

If a person is crippled and declining day by day, then they could still try the best they can that day, and that's good enough.  Ok if they are not interested,  they won't be forced to try their best. 

I'm also wondering where you get your definition for 'best', Airbrush.
Your definition seems to involve a lot of 'reading between the lines' and personal perception.
I do agree with Ten oz, Melania, or whoever wrote her speech, didn't give it as much thought as you seem to think.
It's just a fittingly vapid, but catchy, phrase, like many other pre-election slogans.
( and it seems to be working; keeping people from discussing important issues )

Edited by MigL

12 hours ago, MigL said:

I'm also wondering where you get your definition for 'best', Airbrush.

I can't help wondering what Melania's definition is.
I doubt we will ever know, which rather undermines this thread.

12 hours ago, MigL said:

Makes you wonder how bees and ants evolved, to both co-operate and compete.

They worked out the difference between friend and foe.

Trump, on the other hand, has invented a difference between friend and friend so that nobody notices who the real foe is.

As you say 

12 hours ago, MigL said:

it seems to be working; keeping people from discussing important issues 

3 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

I can't help wondering what Melania's definition is.
I doubt we will ever know, which rather undermines this thread.

It reminds me of 'bacon-sarnie-gate', if enough of one's life is documented, one is going to look stupid or demonic or etc...  At some point...

Edited by dimreepr

On 8/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, Ten oz said:

Do you believe as a species Humans can exist without cooperation with one another? Do you believe as a species Humans can exist without competitiveness towards one another?

No and no. And that was the principal point of my posts in this thread. You have chosen to take exception to a figurative use of the word cooperation, a usage that I have found useful and effective in explaining biological processes. I have no intention of attempting to defend such usage here as it is neither the correct setting, nor - more to the point - should it be necessary to do so, since some reasonable reflection should higlight its value to you.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, Ten oz said:

Biology 101 studies the biological process. Not the pros & cons of competitiveness.

Clearly we went to universities with different curricula.

I am not familiar with competition being used this way. In deterministic evolutionary game theory and studies like Prisoner's Dilemma  selfish or self serving behavior is the opposite to cooperation. Not competition. I think that is where some of this conversation gets lost and people are posting past each other. Competition is being used as a substitute for selfish behavior (?).