Trigger happy mods?

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

But time he spends here is time spent away from the Naval Observatory's atomic clocks

Actually, no. I’m not authorized to work overtime. I get breaks during the day (lunch, waiting for the bureaucracy, etc) and sometimes mulling a physics issue here is a useful distraction when faced with other issues, but it doesn’t keep me away from the clocks.

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

*sigh* Again, it's not the faulty details themselves that get a thread locked, it's the unreasonable adherence to them in the face of contrary evidence. EVERYONE involved in the threads is trying to teach, but only some are willing to learn.

It's a shame that all this comes off as "trigger-happy moderation" instead of the attempt to enhance science discussion it's meant to be. Breaks the heart.

Agreed on both counts.

6 minutes ago, swansont said:

Actually, no. I’m not authorized to work overtime. I get breaks during the day (lunch, waiting for the bureaucracy, etc) and sometimes mulling a physics issue here is a useful distraction when faced with other issues, but it doesn’t keep me away from the clocks.

Sounds like what Albert did when he was a Patent Clerk.  :D

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I swear, every time we get someone who thinks GR is wrong, the GPS satellites go out of sync, and Google Maps tells me I'll never arrive at my destination.

More fun navigating across the Pacific using one of these. :P

Related image

But I do see your point...

2 hours ago, swansont said:

Much of this statement applies to me as well except I don't work on clocks lol. I just watch them for the next break :P.

Seriously though I too will assist anyone willing to learn, but when they start stating its this way with no knowledge of the topic they are discussing it gets rather annoying. My wife often hears me screaming "How can he be that &*&*&*".

One wonders why I assist on forums, however I've had some modicum of success in that I currently know of 7 previously assertive layman posters I've struggled with in the past who later decided to actively pursue their studies and are now working in the physics profession. Seeing someone learn from your efforts is the reward 

Edited by Mordred

37 minutes ago, Mordred said:

Seeing someone learn from your efforts is the reward 

Consider for a moment the magnitude of learning happening in parallel, among those watching from the sidelines whom you never see. The reward is bountiful, and often beyond our visible horizon.   

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

Consider for a moment the magnitude of learning happening in parallel, among those watching from the sidelines whom you never see. The reward is bountiful, and often beyond our visible horizon.   

One of the primary reasons I endeavour to be an informative and accurate as possible in my responses. +1

Edited by Mordred