John Harmonic

When a is persons body at peak performance?

Recommended Posts

At what age is a person at peak performance? Such that they are at physically at their finest without lifting weights or  exercise so the bodies natural peak state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Performance of what? It would vary depending on what physical activity you were doing. Lifting weights, running a marathon, having sex, and playing racquetball all require different muscles and abilities. 

Also, I'm not sure your question will get you any meaningful answers. Your body develops as you age, and each part for each person progresses differently. There really is no peak or prime. Your body will be better at certain activities at different times in your life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps more importantly, body development is highly interactive process. I.e. without any regular activity atrophy occurs, for example. Likewise, during child development inactivity can have negative influence on ligament, joint and muscle development etc. In other words, all states of an organism are dependent on their interactions with the environment and you cannot isolate one from the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK lets take two extremes one 90 year old who is decayed and one 10 year old who is still growing. At what age range is a person fully developed?

I Google this question and most people put it at about 20 to 40 years old but I don't know if that is scientific answer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Harmonic said:

OK lets take two extremes one 90 year old who is decayed and one 10 year old who is still growing. At what age range is a person fully developed?

I Google this question and most people put it at about 20 to 40 years old but I don't know if that is scientific answer...

Fully developed for what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fully developed as in a person body reaching peak state. Don't you know what i means to be fully developed? It doesn't have to be fully developed for something? Just simply a state.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that is OK cause I wasn't talking to you I was talking to Phi

Also I don't know how much I can simplify something that is already simple enough to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, John Harmonic said:

Fully developed as in a person body reaching peak state. Don't you know what i means to be fully developed? It doesn't have to be fully developed for something? Just simply a state.

What is this "state"? How is it measured? How do you know it has a peak value? Can a person's entire physical and psychological condition be captured by a single "state"? Might there be multiple states that peak at different times (if they peak at all)? Is it all downhill from birth? Or all uphill? Does nutrition or disease matter?

Your question is a bit like "which is the best animal" or "what is your favourite colour"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is measured in age or age range and we know it has a peak well we can assume because we usually have two extremes, one is old and decayed-like and the other is young and still growing. And no I am not taking into account nutrition or exercise or disease I am making the assumption that the person eats 3 meals a day and is the average joe. When is the average joe fully developed muscularity wise, strength wise or internally hormone levels. 

Can you give a scientific estimate since you know two extremes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Harmonic said:

Fully developed as in a person body reaching peak state. Don't you know what i means to be fully developed? It doesn't have to be fully developed for something? Just simply a state.

Don't you know what I meant by "I'm not sure your question will get you any meaningful answers. Your body develops as you age, and each part for each person progresses differently. There really is no peak or prime. Your body will be better at certain activities at different times in your life"?

You sort of rob the answer of any meaning if you aren't qualifying the question with parameters for consideration. You're asking for a scientific assessment of "peak body state" wrt age and nothing else. Your answers are going to be just as broad and helpful.

Perhaps you could pick a type of athlete you think has the best overall fitness (swimmer, runner, gymnast?), and then see if there's data on if there is a more precise "peak body state" for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Don't you know what I meant by "I'm not sure your question will get you any meaningful answers. Your body develops as you age, and each part for each person progresses differently. There really is no peak or prime. Your body will be better at certain activities at different times in your life"?

You sort of rob the answer of any meaning if you aren't qualifying the question with parameters for consideration. You're asking for a scientific assessment of "peak body state" wrt age and nothing else. Your answers are going to be just as broad and helpful.

Perhaps you could pick a type of athlete you think has the best overall fitness (swimmer, runner, gymnast?), and then see if there's data on if there is a more precise "peak body state" for them.

Is that your opinion or scientific fact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Harmonic said:

 

It is measured in age or age range

What is “it”? How is it measured?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, John Harmonic said:

Physical peak.

And it is measured in ages.

So you are saying that this thing you call “physical peak” is measured as age? In other words it increases linearly with age from 0 to 106 (or whatever). 

I assume that isn’t what you mean so: what is “physical peak” and how do you measure it (ie what tool or instrument do you use)? And what units is it measured in?

Why is it so hard for you to explain?

Edited by Strange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John Harmonic said:

What's so hard for you to understand is a better question?

What does"physical peak" mean? How do you measure it? What units is it measured in?

If you want a scientific answer, you need to ask a scientific question.

 

11 minutes ago, John Harmonic said:

Did I write it increases linearly

You said it is measured in age. So is, you know, age. So by this definition of "physical peak" it equals age.

Edited by Strange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Harmonic said:

If you want a scientific definition then use a scientific dictionary on Google. Do you understand English?

Interesting suggestion.

The first Google hit for "physical peak" has four definitions. Which one are you referring to?

Also, I notice that the search results include a lot related to age. Perhaps you should use google to get an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Harmonic said:

Physical peak.

 

The meaning of what you are asking would be quite clear in lay circles, maybe discussing this around a drink. But you have asked on a science forum and science can do better than that. Much better. Hence, people here have much higher expectations. People are asking what might appear to you to be stupid questions to hone your question into something more amenable to investigation. If you don't want to go through this process, fair enough, but then be content with vague 20 - 40 type answers.

For example, you are using a term called 'physical peak' assuming it has a universal meaning. What sport to you like/play? I'll take football (the one where athletes can't use hands) because that's one i know. A striker is said to peak around 29ish, measured by goals scored. A goalkeeper peaks around 33ish, measured by goals conceded (although modern metrics are a little more sophisticated than that). They peak at different times because they are performing different physical tasks. The discrepancy will be even greater when comparing gymnasts ('peak' maybe in mid teens? Based on what i see at the olympics) to weightlifters (mid 20s?): maybe a whole decade of difference. Maybe you want to look at bone density as well as medals won. Maybe you want to include fertility - i've heard some female athletes sacrifice their fertility when pushing their boundaries at the top levels. Maybe you just want to know when your body will 'peak'? Maybe...

I hope this helps clarify why people aren't just giving you simple answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent answer, @Prometheus

On the radio this morning, they were talking about golf (apparently a popular sport, for incomprehensible reasons) and that there is no real peak age. Apparently, people can keep playing and winning major competitions into their middle age and beyond. (Experts: Feel free to correct this; whenever golf is discussed they switch to a different language so I'm never quite sure what is going on.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muscle development, 

23 hours ago, Prometheus said:

A striker is said to peak around 29ish, measured by goals scored. A goalkeeper peaks around 33ish, measured by goals conceded (although modern metrics are a little more sophisticated than that). They peak at different times because they are performing different physical tasks. The discrepancy will be even greater when comparing gymnasts ('peak' maybe in mid teens? Based on what i see at the olympics) to weightlifters (mid 20s?): maybe a whole decade of difference.

Do you have a link where it says this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Harmonic said:

Muscle development, 

Do you have a link where it says this?

You could use google ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now