US Trade Tariffs

StringJunky

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

How do you think this will develop and what will be the outcome? 

There will be economic war. Hit by hit, from each side. Everything what is necessary for them to cause crash on stock markets..

7 minutes ago, Sensei said:

There will be economic war. Hit by hit, from each side. Everything what is necessary for them to cause crash on stock markets..

Who will buckle first and suffer the most out of the US and China? I think Trump is on a losing wicket on this one. 

At what point do you admit you had a bad idea and take it back?

The tariffs measures were poorly received by the vast majority of economists; almost 80% of 104 economists surveyed by Reuters believed that imports on tariffs on steel and aluminum imports would be a net harm to the U.S. economy, with the rest believing that the tariffs would have little or no effect; none of the economists surveyed believed that the tariffs would benefit the U.S. economy.

5 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

At what point do you admit you had a bad idea and take it back?

What''s the chance of DT admitting it? When I wrote this OP, I started from the premise of it being the 'US vs China' but, given that his a fair few of his own advisers and other US experts think it's a bad idea, I  altered it because it's actually a Trump vs China spat, as much of the current issues are instigated by him.

Edited by StringJunky

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

What''s the chance of DT admitting it?

About the same chance as these tariffs having a positive effect.

Sorry for going off topic but in my opinion the most damage that DT has dealt is not directly to the economy with these tariffs but he divided the American people and ruined the image of the USA.

I am not a US citizen but judging by recent media (which sometimes is unreliable I agree) there hasn't been so much hate in the US in a long time. Hate against immigrants, hate between religions hate against trump supporters. As an outsider I can tell you that as opposed to 10, even 5 years ago, right now I would not like to be a US citizen :(.

Hope is not lost. US is the home of many of the world's bright, straight thinking people and my hope is that DT would not get reelected. Fingers crossed!

48 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I think Trump is on a losing wicket on this one.

You didn't pay enough attention reading my post. What is bad for USA/world, is good for his and colleagues pockets.. They want to have crash on stock markets. If you know when it'll happen, you can set up transactions and earn damn a lot of money on it..

Each time D.T. is appearing in TV every broker of the world has finger on keyboard button, just in case.. ;)

6 hours ago, StringJunky said:

How do you think this will develop and what will be the outcome? 

China is a faster developing market with more individual customers. For example China is no accounts for 18 billion of Apples iPhone revenue. That is up from just 4 billion in 2012.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382175/quarterly-revenue-of-apple-by-geograhical-region/

U.S. companies need China and vice versa. The outcome here will be Trump attempting to negotiate some type of Asian trade deal. China probably just waits him out knowing the next U.S. President will end the trade war. Short term we'll see a rise in consumer costs and perhaps a little stagnation in the turnover rate of new technology. The slowdown in tech might actually be a temporary good as I am sick of feeling like I have to buy a new phone every 3 months, hahahaha. 

All the bullet points from his campaign have an emotional tie with his working class base, but each seems to be designed to achieve what the uber-wealthy extremist capitalists want. One result of trade wars can be an overall increase in prices while a few goods become cheaper. This seems just like his railing against Amazon, seemingly to protect the USPS from an unfair deal, but in reality to force them to raise their rates so UPS and FedEx can do the same.

The wolf is saying he's going to eat us, and half the sheep are praising the way he tells it like it is.