Woodworking: Amateurs, Craftsmen, & In-Between

iNow

Okay. I now feel a WHOLE lot better about the panel glue up I did yesterday after spending HOURS today leveling it off with the Jack plane (on both sides).

Keep in mind, this is a 4 foot by 6 foot panel of 2 inch thick red oak so I had to stop multiple times to sharpen the iron and I’m super sore, but I’m also super relieved. The ridges are all gone and now I just have a few minor high spots remaining to knock down.

I’ve begun sanding and that’s what I’ll be doing for many more days in progressive grits (the panel and the legs and aprons I’ve already cut and fit all need sanding and finishing). 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Okay. I now feel a WHOLE lot better about the panel glue up I did yesterday after spending HOURS today leveling it off with the Jack plane (on both sides).

Keep in mind, this is a 4 foot by 6 foot panel of 2 inch thick red oak so I had to stop multiple times to sharpen the iron and I’m super sore, but I’m also super relieved. The ridges are all gone and now I just have a few minor high spots remaining to knock down.

I’ve begun sanding and that’s what I’ll be doing for many more days in progressive grits (the panel and the legs and aprons I’ve already cut and fit all need sanding and finishing). 

No electric hand planer?

27 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

No electric hand planer?

No sir. That one’s not in my arsenal. Picked up the jack plane at a woodworking swap meet and it didn’t leave my grasp for about 6 hours today. 

Did however get a hand held belt sander a few weeks ago for $5 at an estate sale and that’s gonna see some use this week. 

8 minutes ago, iNow said:

No sir. That one’s not in my arsenal. Picked up the jack plane at a woodworking swap meet and it didn’t leave my grasp for about 6 hours today. 

Did however get a hand held belt sander a few weeks ago for $5 at an estate sale and that’s gonna see some use this week. 

Kudos to you for sticking it out on pretty  hard stuff like that. I've hand sanded quite a few miles of oak hand rails and doors. I've  just got one for sizing. I still like manual planing for finishing.

I’m only gonna use the belt sander to make the surface dead flat w 80 grit. Plan to then sand in progressive grits by hand up to 240 in prep for finish. 

Given that both you and zap have mentioned the electric hand planer now I’ll start watching for one on Craigslist  

On another note, given all of the hand tool work I’ve been doing with chisels, planes, and sandpaper my arms, shoulders, and back haven’t looked this good since I was in my 20s  :) 

Edited by iNow

28 minutes ago, Mordred said:

One of my favourite purchases is my electric handplaner. I do a lot of smaller work with pallet wood and its a huge time saver though tend to have to sharpen the blades often lol.

How do you do that, They are only about 5-6mm wide? Do you use carbide blades?

On my planer I remove the blades with an allen key, then I clamp them with sheet metal pliers and sharpen on a whetstone first. (relatively new as they develop unevenness over time. For the honing I use the adhesive sheets and glass.

In essence its the same aa a chisel though I follow the angle they come in. The main trick is clamping the blade with sheet metal pliers. Unfortunately you can't do too often as the more modern planers have disposable blades but you can extend their lifetime a bit.

Many ppl use belt sanders but I prefer doing by hand but this vid shows the procedure

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DWx0shUhRguc&ved=0ahUKEwjKrpP5r8_aAhUE32MKHXktAMcQtwIIMzAE&usg=AOvVaw0RvM48V2lNXzUk4yCjcPHD

The end of the vid shows the limit signs to the amount of sharpening.

Edited by Mordred

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

On my planer I remove the blades with an allen key, then I clamp them with sheet metal pliers and sharpen on a whetstone first. (relatively new as they develop unevenness over time. For the honing I use the adhesive sheets and glass.

In essence its the same aa a chisel though I follow the angle they come in. The main trick is clamping the blade with sheet metal pliers. Unfortunately you can't do too often as the more modern planers have disposable blades but you can extend their lifetime a bit.

Many ppl use belt sanders but I prefer doing by hand but this vid shows the procedure

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DWx0shUhRguc&ved=0ahUKEwjKrpP5r8_aAhUE32MKHXktAMcQtwIIMzAE&usg=AOvVaw0RvM48V2lNXzUk4yCjcPHD

The end of the vid shows the limit signs to the amount of sharpening.

Cheers.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:52 PM, John Cuthber said:

I wonder how long you have to spend washing it before you can use it for fish.

I must have missed your question but I never do more than rise them out once with the water hose. Never had any problems and the stuff they use now days is much better that the chemicals i had back then... 

12 minutes ago, Mordred said:

progress report on Well just need to finish the handle then prep for staining and outdoor protection.

1524961807315208751700.jpg

That came together nicely. Are you planning to use a deck sealer or some similar outdoor poly? Also curious what you’re planning for the handle (something turned on a lathe maybe)? 

1×6 cedar cut into the handle with two glued hole for the 1 inch Dowling rod. One for the main shaft the other the crank handle. Then wife wants to hang a planted pot on rod. Routered (rounded) corners on crank bases. Haven't decided on protective coat but looking at tinted

(Gold oak, )outdoor all in one tinted clear coat.

Edited by Mordred

lol not that complicated just cut the handle base out of the 1×6 with a bandsaw hole at each end. One for shaft, the other for crank handle. Glue two layers same base shape to hide end cuts. Also allows a higher radius edge rounding. This also provides greater gluing surface. End cap other side  two layer circle cut with smaller circle ( 1" dowelling) other layer caps the end cuts.

P.S. currently enjoying that fire in background lol.

Edited by Mordred

3 hours ago, iNow said:

That came together nicely. Are you planning to use a deck sealer or some similar outdoor poly? Also curious what you’re planning for the handle (something turned on a lathe maybe)? 

Potentially on deck sealer with gold oak tint. Only wish I owned a lathe but one can modify a drill...

Edited by Mordred

7 hours ago, Mordred said:

Only wish I owned a lathe but one can modify a drill...

Use a pillar drill clamp horizontally, held in a vice you can also hold a steadying platform in the same vice, works a treat. 

Edited by dimreepr

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Mordred said:

Here is the finished product used a light oak stain with an outdoor gloss protective coat

1526152543204354319923.jpg

Nice. Are you now going to wish for a Fields Medal and Nobel?  :D  Sadolin is a pretty good one coat finish. It gives a nice sheen and good weatherproofing.

I much prefer to recieve my wifes rewards lol. This is her gift to fulfill a promise to make her one. I have enough material to make another to see if I can sell one. However my first priority is making raised planters to fix the yard of the place I moved to 4 months ago.

Still digging up bush roots along the side of the house. Yeesh 10 hours digging for three bushes so far....

Edited by Mordred

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

I much prefer to recieve my wifes rewards lol. This is her gift to fulfill a promise to make her one. I have enough material to make another to see if I can sell one. However my first priority is making raised planters to fix the yard of the place I moved to 4 months ago.

Still digging up bush roots along the side of the house. Yeesh 10 hours digging for three bushes so far....

Say 'Hi' to your back from me. LOL!