Is this book worth your money? Trump: The Art of the Deal

fresh

@Many of his businesses went bankrupt, though he personally became enriched by some of these events.

how could a business man became enriched by bankruptcy ?

is it because bankruptcy is a way to clear his debts ?

@Many of his businesses went bankrupt, though he personally became enriched by some of these events.

If I may, bankruptcy is indeed a way to clear one's debts but also a way to protect one's assets and profits from creditors. In Trump's world, bankruptcy is a way to forcibly renegotiate vendor contracts and union obligations to reduce previously agreed upon expenses, which maximizes profits from poorly conceived business ventures.

If I may, bankruptcy is indeed a way to clear one's debts but also a way to protect one's assets and profits from creditors. In Trump's world, bankruptcy is a way to forcibly renegotiate vendor contracts and union obligations to reduce previously agreed upon expenses, which maximizes profits from poorly conceived business ventures.

According to business law and regulation, once declaring bankruptcy, he can't start a new business.

It seems i am wrong.

Because he owed more than other "businessmen" could afford to loose, so they were forced to give him another chance to recoup the loss; why else do you think we had to bale out the banks in 2008?

Greed invites the greedy to prey; it's the wrong type of prayer.

Edited by dimreepr

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - unlike everyone who has commented so far, I have read the book, although I read it many years ago. As has been pointed out here, he had help writing the book. But - almost all non-writers have help writing their book, because writing is a specific skill. It's smart of them to do that.

The book is very readable and has some interesting ideas. It was good enough to prompt me to read a follow up, THE ART OF THE COMEBACK, which is a lousy book.

Okay - unlike everyone who has commented so far, I have read the book, although I read it many years ago. As has been pointed out here, he had help writing the book. But - almost all non-writers have help writing their book, because writing is a specific skill. It's smart of them to do that.

The book is very readable and has some interesting ideas. It was good enough to prompt me to read a follow up, THE ART OF THE COMEBACK, which is a lousy book.

Thanks. Trump authorized the writer to write this book. The famous persons always do that.

Thanks. Trump authorized the writer to write this book. The famous persons always do that.

pzkpfw made a valid point...although his name is on the building, it doesn't mean he actually laid the brick and mortar himself. Trump put his name on a lot of things though he was not intimately engaged in their production. What workpsi has read emerged from the experience and expertise of Trump's ghost writer rather than Trump himself. You can research online many of Trump's speeches where he talks about his successes. You should be able to quickly determine that those speeches lack substance.

Edited by DrmDoc

The actual author Tony Schwartz has given interviews about Trump and the book. One may want to read those.

What I came away with from one of the Schwartz interviews was that it was like pulling teeth trying to get time to discuss the book. Trump wouldn't do what Schwartz wanted, which was to give him some big chunks of time where he could grill him on content. Instead, Trump made him come to the office every week and wait for a few minutes of Trump's time. Schwartz said Trump had the attention span of a toddler, and could rarely give him more than a few minutes before growing bored. And when Schwartz eventually pitched the idea of listening in on D's daily business, he also learned about D's lying habits.

Lying is second nature to him,” Schwartz said. “More than anyone else I have ever met, Trump has the ability to convince himself that whatever he is saying at any given moment is true, or sort of true, or at least ought to be true.”

• 3 weeks later...

i go through the content of this book. i wanna buy it.

how do you think ? anyone read it ? :)

I read TAOTD about two months before Trump was elected.

And though it did not compel me to vote for him, I will say that I disliked him a bit less after finishing it than I did before I began. He actually posed some good and thought provoking ideas. If I'd just read the book and, say, lived in a cave and knew nothing else about Trump, and then somebody told me he was now POTUS, I would not be as scared of him getting us in real trouble as I am now, in real life.

By all means, read the book. Don't know if I'd buy it,though. I got mine from the campus library.

Except, as pointed out, it was the viewpoint of Schwartz trying to portray Trump in the most positive light possible. His unfiltered view on the actual encounters that inspired the book seem to be far less favorable.