Can you explain how the DeLorean in BTTF works?

Elite Engineer

Can anyone muster, even a slight, non-joking, scientific theory that can explain as to how the car works? Use best of your knowledge in quantum physics or whatever is required to explain it..

~EE

That would be that good old fashion magic that movie makers dish out like candy. Hell, how could you contain that amount of energy right behind the occupants and not die from some sort of radiation.

{insert tongue in cheek}

It works on the on a variation of the Tipler cylinder method of creating closed time-like curves. The Tipler cylinder works by using a massive rotating cylinder of infinite length. By accelerating in the proper direction with respect to its rotation, You could travel in time. The purpose of the flux capacitor is to alter the required conditions to allow the same effect by traveling at just 88 mph with respect to the rotating Earth( possibly by mimicking the effect of exotic matter). The movie of course fudges a bit by not requiring the Delorean to be traveling only in a East-west direction for the effect to work.)

{\remove tongue from cheek}

Pretty much the same as any other DeLorean. Admittedly flying is a nonstandard feature.

I think you might find that more of them fly than drive reliably :)

Still a work of absolute beauty though - in the flesh they were the most striking and beautiful cars at the whole of the motorshow (cannot remember which year but I went with big bro and was on strict instructions to hold onto his hand at all times*)

*so that would have made me 22 I think. Actually 6-7 I think

Gasoline is placed in tank inside the car. The accelerator pedal is used to inject gasoline into the engine, where it ignites, releasing energy that drives a piston, which causes the wheels to turn and propel the car forward.

Can anyone muster, even a slight, non-joking, scientific theory that can explain as to how the car works? Use best of your knowledge in quantum physics or whatever is required to explain it..

~EE

It's like chittychittybangbang on crack. . . . . . er, I mean cocaine. Edited by arc

You mean all the rest of them travel through time as well; it's just the flying that is unusual...

Naturally. Every DeLorean I've seen has a Flux Capacitor.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4783926,-81.468178,3a,75y,98.27h,59.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scNhwEOy5valsnH_Ydx7TwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

A very interesting device. It preserves momentum and position relative to the Earth while translating someone through time.

Clearly the standard time dilation equation is modified to: [latex]t' = t / i\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/latex]

at 88 mph velocity is increased to just slightly over c. While normally this would result in an imaginary result, with the modification time travel is instead achieved.

icon_warning.png Edited by Endy0816, 5 Nov 1955, 11:16 AM.

Edited by Endy0816