What would be the problem with a one-world government?

Unity+

There are many conspiracy theories that surround this idea, and they talk about the formation of the New World Order, or a one-world government. However, nobody seems the question what the problem with a one-world government would be.

So, is there any reason to not have one?

There are many conspiracy theories that surround this idea, and they talk about the formation of the New World Order, or a one-world government. However, nobody seems the question what the problem with a one-world government would be.

So, is there any reason to not have one?

Too many groups of people with greatly varying cultural backgrounds, beliefs, religions and traditions. It's less noticeable on a scale of a single country, but even then especially with larger countries you have huge regional differences and separatist movements as a result. Take China or Russia as an example. This will be by orders of magnitude more visible with a world government.

It would be extremely hard to develop laws that would be acceptable to all groups. Or if you make laws that differ greatly between regions then the whole system will be more like a confederacy which is not exactly a single entity.

How much suffering and ignorance could be wiped out if most of the world's military budgets were reallocated to more humane purposes? Schools and medicine, funded by the public, for every human sounds like a government that would attract followers. I'd love to see a world where people who want to live healthy, progress, and learn can do so with as little difficulty as possible.

Unfortunately, there are many volatile mixes out there that we may not be able to overcome. People who cherish this life and want to do everything possible to make it better, would be trying to negotiate with people who think this life is meant for suffering, and that the only investments should be in a particular religious afterlife. Corporations will constantly try to avoid regulation while maximizing short term returns on investment until they're shown/forced to use better, more sustainable long term practices. And politicians are unlikely to want to give up any power, although I really think it's the link between politicians and corporations that needs to be overhauled.

Unfortunately, there are many volatile mixes out there that we may not be able to overcome. People who cherish this life and want to do everything possible to make it better, would be trying to negotiate with people who think this life is meant for suffering, and that the only investments should be in a particular religious afterlife. Corporations will constantly try to avoid regulation while maximizing short term returns on investment until they're shown/forced to use better, more sustainable long term practices. And politicians are unlikely to want to give up any power, although I really think it's the link between politicians and corporations that needs to be overhauled.

I don't see how the people trying to reach the afterlife feel that this life is meant for suffering. We may cause the suffering in very many instances, but I don't see how the fundamental aspects of a majority of the religions promote that we are to suffer, rather than try to rid the suffering caused by humanity. What is the source of this thinking, in regards to how these people came up with that idea.

.... And politicians are unlikely to want to give up any power, ...

Burhundi, Turkey, Russia, to name 3...even Sepp Blatter can't let go! My Preciousssss! ;)

Power corrupts...

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Edited by StringJunky

I don't see how the people trying to reach the afterlife feel that this life is meant for suffering. We may cause the suffering in very many instances, but I don't see how the fundamental aspects of a majority of the religions promote that we are to suffer, rather than try to rid the suffering caused by humanity. What is the source of this thinking, in regards to how these people came up with that idea.

I'm sorry if I implied that ALL people trying to reach an afterlife feel that way. But there are a great many people who are taught that they'll suffer in this life, but reap the rewards of faithfulness in the next. Is this not so? Those folks may not want to see a world government succeed, or at least won't invest much in its success.

I'm sorry if I implied that ALL people trying to reach an afterlife feel that way. But there are a great many people who are taught that they'll suffer in this life, but reap the rewards of faithfulness in the next. Is this not so? Those folks may not want to see a world government succeed, or at least won't invest much in its success.

No, I was just stating the fact that I don't know where these people got the idea that life is for suffering. Where is the origin of the ideology.

Re: Thread title - How would you handle division and allocation of resources, especially food, water, and energy?

Although I don't have the answer, I think a solution can be developed. In the past, there was no such thing as the State, but here we are now.

No, I was just stating the fact that I don't know where these people got the idea that life is for suffering. Where is the origin of the ideology.

Judaism has a heaven for those who stay faithful to the 613 laws, which is an extremely onerous proposition if you've ever seen them.

Christianity has a promise of a perfect afterlife if you don't give up under pressure.

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." James 1:12 NIV

And we know Islam has its sacrifice-earthly-pleasures-for-eternity-with-virgins concept.

I think it's a consideration. I can imagine working things out amongst ourselves when it comes to water, food, and energy. But we have trouble now with ideologies that don't match up between people who need to share a region. I've never wanted anyone religious in charge of nuclear weaponry, since it's difficult to know how such people feel about the end of the world (evil war, or devoutly wished-for consummation?). When people who believe in such things are weighing the choice between a handful of decades of life vs eternity in the afterlife, I think it will affect the way they conduct themselves politically.

I suppose the real question is, could we get the world's countries to all agree on a separation of Church and State?

Judaism has a heaven for those who stay faithful to the 613 laws, which is an extremely onerous proposition if you've ever seen them.

Christianity has a promise of a perfect afterlife if you don't give up under pressure.

And we know Islam has its sacrifice-earthly-pleasures-for-eternity-with-virgins concept.

I think it's a consideration. I can imagine working things out amongst ourselves when it comes to water, food, and energy. But we have trouble now with ideologies that don't match up between people who need to share a region. I've never wanted anyone religious in charge of nuclear weaponry, since it's difficult to know how such people feel about the end of the world (evil war, or devoutly wished-for consummation?). When people who believe in such things are weighing the choice between a handful of decades of life vs eternity in the afterlife, I think it will affect the way they conduct themselves politically.

I suppose the real question is, could we get the world's countries to all agree on a separation of Church and State?

It's weird because I would think that one who is willing to leave "God's" creation hindered by human effect would be more of worthy of hell than anything.

Edited by Unity+

I suspect the origin of that particular ideology is found among the countless people throughout history who suffered for most of their lives with no release in sight but death and couldn't believe that God would inflict such misery on them unless it was a necessary part of receiving a big reward in the afterlife. It also has the added benefit of meaning that all those people who lived more luxurious lives and were often the cause of the suffering but never got any real comeuppance in life would get theirs in death when they didn't suffer enough to get into heaven.

I suspect the origin of that particular ideology is found among the countless people throughout history who suffered for most of their lives with no release in sight but death and couldn't believe that God would inflict such misery on them unless it was a necessary part of receiving a big reward in the afterlife. It also has the added benefit of meaning that all those people who lived more luxurious lives and were often the cause of the suffering but never got any real comeuppance in life would get theirs in death when they didn't suffer enough to get into heaven.

My thought on suffering is that a majority of it is caused by humanity itself(besides natural disasters and such).

I think this describes my thought:

It's weird because I would think that one who is willing to leave "God's" creation hindered by human effect would be more of worthy of hell than anything.

Well, I don't want to go any farther afield with religious considerations, since the best change there will take a lot of time. I think the only way to correct ignorance is with teaching and time. It will probably take several generations of slow progress, as people see the prosperity of those who cooperate instead of hate. If we tried to change people overnight, their prejudices and intolerance would become more entrenched, and I don't think a one-world government would be successful. This will be more of a social evolution revolution, where better communication and cooperation ensure that more sustainable and adaptive ideas get passed down to our children.

Well, I don't want to go any farther afield with religious considerations, since the best change there will take a lot of time. I think the only way to correct ignorance is with teaching and time. It will probably take several generations of slow progress, as people see the prosperity of those who cooperate instead of hate. If we tried to change people overnight, their prejudices and intolerance would become more entrenched, and I don't think a one-world government would be successful. This will be more of a social evolution revolution, where better communication and cooperation ensure that more sustainable and adaptive ideas get passed down to our children.

If you want to change the world start with the kids... give them the dream. It's too late starting with the adults. That's my 2 penny worth. Kids minds are more receptive and plastic.

Edited by StringJunky

Although I don't have the answer, I think a solution can be developed. In the past, there was no such thing as the State, but here we are now.

Perhaps "the problem with one world government" then would be that said solution hasn't yet been developed / that question hasn't yet been answered.

• 2 weeks later...

Well - but thats just one thing, hmm, hard to say, but too much weirdness, too much not going to the base problems of eqach individual, different states or regions, doesn't matter how you call it, have different needs and demands - and who should supervise all that?