If America were to enter a ww3 situation. What plan would you propose?

too-open-minded

I'm wondering, what exactly would our plan be? Critique my idea, share yours if you want.

I would propose a defensive standpoint. Try to work with Canada and Mexico as much as possible on defensive relations. Have a fleet of a few hundred nuclear submarines located around the gulf of mexico and Pacific Ocean. An outline of NMD's over our border. Rally more national gaurdsmen and raise bases on coastlines. Launch lots of neighborhood watch satellites and make regular inspections with drones.

I doubt that a WW3 incident could climax anytime soon atleast. Still think it's neat to ponder at what we would do. I like generals and strategy :P

I honestly see no way that two or more superpowers would go up against each other, Russia, China they know which way the wind is blowing a hundred years and they might have total global domination but by then they will be so watered down we wouldn't notice. The mid size players realise how worthless nukes really are but if you poke the bull hard enough you might be on the receiving end of a few MIRVs so accurate they hardly need warheads to kill a few people if you really know where they are.

I don't think we are anywhere near as hair triggered as people say, use of a nuke by one of the little guys would get reprisal and I would bet it would be a thermonuclear warhead or two... but no way anyone who is really not involved would want to step up and kick a giant, them bombs ain't so small now days... but they are accurate...

Edited by Moontanman

I don't think we can really discuss the actual question of the OP unless we define what WW3 means. Is that necessarily a nuclear war? Or just a war in which at a minimum the US is fighting against Russia and/or China?

And should we discuss the strategy also in the "diplomatic" period leading up to war (in which the US would undoubtedly steer away from throwing nukes at others), or do we assume that the metaphorical poop has hit the ventilator, and we are seconds away from launching the nukes?

A little clarity is needed, please!

I don't think there is a third world war on the horizon. Global powers are more interconnected than they once were. China needs the United States as customers for their products and the United States needs China as a manufacturing partner. A war between the USA and China would collaspe boths economies. A war between the United States and Russia similarly seems unlikely. Russian is a major supplier of Oil and Gas to China and U.S. allies throughout Europe. The Economics impact of such a war would be too great for all parties.

Guys!

I was kind of hoping for some strategical role-play kind of deal.... Which is why I posted it in the lounge lol.

I don't think WW3 is imminently upon us. I don't want to discuss it's liklihood.

However, say a few countries started having discretions and the U.N couldn't reach a general consensus. War breaks out, let's say North Korea hit's South Korea, China sides with them. Ukraine gets some allies against Russia. Isis pulls off some crazy feat idk. It leads up to alliances and enemies, leads to a WW3 situation.

So under some circumstances like that, I would propose we make strong relations with Canada and Mexico. Maximize our borders with NMD's, Nuclear subs, and Aircract carriers. Invest into our navy. While we fund neighborhood watch satellites.

What would you propose?

Stir up as much trouble between Russia and China. Secretly leak information to Russia that China is about to invade Siberia and leak information to China that Russia would not put up much of a fight if they did invade. Even torpedo their shipping making the "mistake" of breaking radio silence a little while before broadcasting in Russian/Chinese military frequencies and codes. Let the two fight amongst themselves and hopefully this will put Putin's western expansion plans on hold indefinitely.

Some other points...

The US already has strong relations with Canada including both being in NATO and have collaborated on NORAD. As for Mexico, I have no idea if much cooperation has occurred. For a long time Mexican troops could not leave Mexico without a declaration of war. Thus, until recently they have not taken part in UN activities.

Stir up as much trouble between Russia and China. Secretly leak information to Russia that China is about to invade Siberia and leak information to China that Russia would not put up much of a fight if they did invade. Even torpedo their shipping making the "mistake" of breaking radio silence a little while before broadcasting in Russian/Chinese military frequencies and codes. Let the two fight amongst themselves and hopefully this will put Putin's western expansion plans on hold indefinitely.

Some other points...

The US already has strong relations with Canada including both being in NATO and have collaborated on NORAD. As for Mexico, I have no idea if much cooperation has occurred. For a long time Mexican troops could not leave Mexico without a declaration of war. Thus, until recently they have not taken part in UN activities.

Russian/Chinese war is possible like German/USSR's war. But firstly you should stop Russian expansion in west direction, like England did stop German expansion.Very important is economic and scientific blockade.

Russia has delivered submarines to Vietnam. I think it has spoiled Chinese/Russian military friendship.

Guys!

I was kind of hoping for some strategical role-play kind of deal.... Which is why I posted it in the lounge lol.

I don't think WW3 is imminently upon us. I don't want to discuss it's liklihood.

However, say a few countries started having discretions and the U.N couldn't reach a general consensus. War breaks out, let's say North Korea hit's South Korea, China sides with them. Ukraine gets some allies against Russia. Isis pulls off some crazy feat idk. It leads up to alliances and enemies, leads to a WW3 situation.

So under some circumstances like that, I would propose we make strong relations with Canada and Mexico. Maximize our borders with NMD's, Nuclear subs, and Aircract carriers. Invest into our navy. While we fund neighborhood watch satellites.

What would you propose?

Okay, role playing. If the above scenario went do and WW3 was imminent the I think the following would need to happen:

1 - Unites States would need to annex Canada. Sorry Canadians. As the northern passage is becoming more open by the year northern Canada would be an incredibly strategic staging ground do to its proximity to China and Russia. Also by focusing battles to the north it keeps a lot of the fighting away from densely populated areas.

2 - launch shuttle missions into orbit and destory all non U.S. govt satellites. It will blind our enemies and damage their communication abilities.

3 - Organize areas in the United States (which now included Canada) where we allow defectors and refugees. Automatic citizenship and place to call home in Alaska for all Chinese and Russia soldiers willing to lay down arms.

I think creating an alliance with Mexico wouldn't be a bad move. Imagine if a superpower did want to invade us, if it's by land they would want to either do it by Canada or Mexico. They could bribe Mexico with some claims to Texas even. Not to mention a larger border of defenses to barricade and ware down an invasion.

I think creating an alliance with Mexico wouldn't be a bad move. Imagine if a superpower did want to invade us, if it's by land they would want to either do it by Canada or Mexico. They could bribe Mexico with some claims to Texas even. Not to mention a larger border of defenses to barricade and ware down an invasion.

Per the Monroe Doctrine, which for most purposes is still followed, any foriegn involvement anywhere in the Americas is regarded as an act of aggression toward the United States. The U.S. Navy and Coast Guard currently patrol the entirety of the Americas. We (USA) would never allow Russia, China, or anyone to establish bases or any foot hold in Mexico. Russia tried to make Cuba an partner in the 60's and not only did the U.S almost go to nuclear war over it but the U.S. continues to embargo Cuba to this day.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_Doctrine

Okay, role playing. If the above scenario went do and WW3 was imminent the I think the following would need to happen:

1 - Unites States would need to annex Canada. ...

I don't think there is any need to annex Canada. The US and Canada have worked together on military projects before. As I said, both are part of NATO and have independently of this have worked on NORAD. Their maybe some quick legal wrangling to allow a large concentration of foreign troops in Canada, but this would not be a problem with either the Chinese or Russians looking at Alaska.

Why would you want to turn allies into enemies and rip NATO apart?

Alright, I will play the game. Obviously, it is really easy to disagree with everything I am about to say, because it all depends on a huge list of underlying assumptions about the scenario, which we did not define (yet).

The US has two broad choices:

1. Stay out of it.

2. Fight.

Assuming option 1 is also off the table, the US will do a number of steps on the short term:

1. Mobilize every bit of kit associated with (nuclear) missile defense.

2. Make sure the war is fought outside the North-American continent. Strengthen troops near a border zone (e.g. Ukraine, Korea).

3. Start bribing as many countries and parties as possible to fight as mercenaries for the US.

4. Try to infiltrate and destabilize whatever countries are fighting against the US.

Then assuming that a nuclear war can be prevented, and a longer conventional war must be fought:

1. Convert factories producing goods for civilians to military equipment

2. Secure key-resources (oil, metals).

I don't think there is any need to annex Canada. The US and Canada have worked together on military projects before. As I said, both are part of NATO and have independently of this have worked on NORAD. Their maybe some quick legal wrangling to allow a large concentration of foreign troops in Canada, but this would not be a problem with either the Chinese or Russians looking at Alaska.Why would you want to turn allies into enemies and rip NATO apart?

Allow me to first just say that I don't believe it would be there is a third world war coming. China needs us (USA) to purchase goods and Europe needs Russia for energy. All the players here are actually partner. This discussion is all just a bit of nonsensical fun.

I think in a fictional situation like a third world war controlling all the land to the north outright would be more ideal than having to work with a Canada for permission. The area would be far to important and as a matter of national security the U.S. would not always feel like telling the Canadians what they plan to do or say please. During previous world wars Oceans separated the United States from the bulk of the the fighting. Our enemies had planes but not the endurence to fly them to the States. The northern passage opening up changes that. It is a much shorter trip for an enemies Navy and both Russia and China have aircraft carriers. Not only would huge military operations happen but the infacture would become perminant. The United States would place large bases, ports, railways, roads, and etc in northern Canada that they'd won't to keep there for good without compromise.

As for I think that friendships would survive. The United States could annex Canada without any shots fired. Besides in a situation like a Third World War would NATO, an organization created in part to box in Russia/communism, side with the Russia and China because the U.S. annexed Canada?

Nuclear bomb.

Just bomb people. Then when the population is low, earths resource can sustain mankind again.

And don't fret about those who died. They were at the bottom of the chain. The strong lives and the weak dies, it's evolution, and life.

(BWahahhahahaah *cackles*)
(#ColdLogic)

I wouldn't do what I suggested though. But a cold, intellectual 'person in power' might.

Allow me to first just say that I don't believe it would be there is a third world war coming. China needs us (USA) to purchase goods and Europe needs Russia for energy. All the players here are actually partner. This discussion is all just a bit of nonsensical fun.

The world is changing faster than you think. Europe needs Russian energy therefore it should obey Russia, this is Russian political position now. Do you want to lose Europe, then to resist Russia?

I know this may seem silly to talk about, but I think it's interesting. I mean don't you think the American military at least has a plan if a WW3 situation breaks out? I'm willing to bet they do.

I like captain panics idea, and realistically I think it could be applied. I would think fronting the worlds largest submarine fleet. Designed for anti-submarine warefare, nuclear missile capability, and anti ballistics capability.

Launch multiple military satellites capable of destroying or putting foreign satellites out of commission.

Focus on dismantling enemy communication.

Keep our borders large and don't let Nations with adamant military conquest get too large a foothold. Keep the warfare conventional, make them fight our fight while we dismantle their trade and communications.

I think that if NATO is threatened or we see frequent military conquest anywhere, we're likely to intervene. I know for a fact we as a country already at least identify the agenda for the intensity of different Militant actions in the world. Of course trade is a crucial factor in wars, you might actually be harming your economic sustainability by severing ties with a foreign nation.

If you look at the history of recorded war - http://www.datesandevents.org/events-timelines/24-timeline-of-war.htm

I don't think a large scale war is improbable enough that the U.S government and military shouldn't have an emergency plan. I'm sure they do.