many "senior members" have 4 to 5 sock puppets.

sunshaker

I normally watch from the sidelines, But i notice in quite a few forums, that a lot of "senior members" use a lot of different accounts, I normally enjoying watching how they argue with themselves, Or gang up when the need arises, I am not just on about this forum, As i have noticed it big time in other forums,

Does anyone else notice this in forums they may visit?

I am going to watch with interest, certain individuals arguing with themselves.

>:D

I wonder, if they told each other something would they have to kill themselves?

:eek:

Edited by studiot

I normally watch from the sidelines, But i notice in quite a few forums, that a lot of "senior members" use a lot of different accounts, I normally enjoying watching how they argue with themselves, Or gang up when the need arises, I am not just on about this forum, As i have noticed it big time in other forums,

Does anyone else notice this in forums they may visit?

As if we have the time to run more than one account and try and keep personas straight.

I kinda wished you had named names, though. It would be interesting to know about these alleged sockpuppets. Also why a person would argue with him/herself using a sockpuppet account. That makes no sense.

As if we have the time to run more than one account and try and keep personas straight.

I kinda wished you had named names, though. It would be interesting to know about these alleged sockpuppets. Also why a person would argue with him/herself using a sockpuppet account. That makes no sense.

Oops, wrong account.

I do not really notice on this forum so much, But there are a couple i visit, where it is getting so bad i now do not venture there anymore, Its like simon cowell on x factor acting surprised when a good act comes on, when we know nothing gets on the show without him knowing before hand, Next manufactured boy band, few more million in his pocket.

You'd never guess i was a Moderator, And enjoy closing my own threads :wacko:

Mods can check to see if a sockpuppet account is being used, and over the years among the staff at SFN it's become sort of a barometer for intellectual dishonesty. We watch these posters who are so desperate to win arguments patting themselves on the back and we just want to puke. It's not something we'd really want to be good at, and as swansont said, who has the time?

Admins could pull it off, but they have even less time than the Mods do.

I've been here 10 years this month, and I don't think any of the staff I've known in that time would ever jeopardize the site's reputation by sockpuppeting, not to win arguments or gang up on another member. I suppose it's possible an admin might be posting under an alias to remove the intimidation factor of discussing things with admins, but I could never imagine one of them using both accounts in the same thread.

Oops, wrong account.

ROFL, timo.

There was that one guy a while back that had like four or five distinct characters.

There was that one guy a while back that had like four or five distinct characters.

We've had sockpuppets, but we ban them once we identify them. I think the implication here is that there are active ones of some longevity.

Plot twist: everyone in this thread is the same person.

And he was dead the whole time. [/MNightShymalan]

A part of the Theory of Forum mechanics mentions the phenomenon of Mod-member duality:

Mod–member duality is a theory that proposes that some members exhibit the properties of not only moderators which have the power to ban, but also members, which add useful information to the site.

The theory of General Creativity however says that they usually do so using the same account.