dimreepr

What is inner-peace?

Is it free if it's just chemistry? That's my sticking point on the freewill point. I cannot control the chemical interactions, yet they're what control me. 

Off-topic in our inner pp's... peas... piece... peace thread, though.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

Is it free if it's just chemistry? That's my sticking point on the freewill point. I cannot control the chemical interactions, yet they're what control me. 

Sticking point for me too, but because I'm not convinced the chemical interactions control me. Does the chemical reaction cause me to choose something, or allow me to choose something? Theoretically if chemical reactions are the causes of my choices, then given enough data you should be able to predict everything I think, say and do. I have no doubt I'm influenced by things out of my control, but I'm not convinced they have total control.

5 hours ago, zapatos said:

Sticking point for me too, but because I'm not convinced the chemical interactions control me.

It's more of a moot point for me. If I knew that my gut had made me do everything that I regret I would no longer feel the guilt but then who decided that? It just doesn't change anything. So I choose to act and feel as if I have freewill. Just in case.

5 hours ago, iNow said:

Even though it changes nothing I find the subject interesting and deserving of it's own thread apart from our inner pees thread.:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, koti said:

This is outrageous.

I have been known to fib to prove a point but thanks koti.

@Eise nailed it!

1 hour ago, Outrider said:

apart from our inner pees thread.

Holy monkey testicles, Batman! I. Cannot. BELIEVE... that I missed the most obvious and humorous one! Well done, sir. :)

Btw on this and the posts that follow - 

7 hours ago, zapatos said:

I'm not convinced the chemical interactions control me.

A completely understandable position. I’d be curious to understand, though... if it’s not the chemistry, what you think does? That said, this isn’t the right thread. Maybe the one I linked to above instead. 

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Btw on this and the posts that follow - 

A completely understandable position. I’d be curious to understand, though... if it’s not the chemistry, what you think does? That said, this isn’t the right thread. Maybe the one I linked to above instead. 

I responded in the thread you suggested. :)

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, zapatos said:

Again, neither I nor anyone said it was.

You said our control was an illusion and I showed where I had partial control, and you repeated that it was an illusion.

You seem to move the goalposts back and forth from "it is an illusion" to "it is limited".

I position myself differently depending on what we are talking about. I have more control over my drinking than I have over Western Culture.

I guess I'm just not very good at explaining myself, I'll have another crack. The best analogy I can use is, you can control where you plant a random seed but you can't control what plant it becomes. 

The more control we think we have the more pernicious the illusion, take Nelson Mandela as an example, South Africa thought they could control him and his movement by locking him up and controlling his every move, they controlled what he did but not what he thought.

20 hours ago, Eise said:

Time is very real for us. As long as you have memories of the past and hopes, expectations, and curiosity about the future time is real for you as it is for me.

Time is only real now, yesterday and tomorrow literally don't exist, that's the illusion. That doesn't mean you have no memories or expectations, just that a preference for either, robs you of the potential wonder of now. 

Edited by dimreepr

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

the potential wonder of now. 

An infinite now, as represented by the i in my username

23 minutes ago, iNow said:

An infinite now, as represented by the i in my username

didn't I already question that i?

I have no idea, but figured it couldn’t hurt to remind others :)

On 26/10/2017 at 2:27 PM, dimreepr said:

A couple of recent threads, I've commented in, suggests the answer to this question is not obvious, so

Let's discuss... 

Total inner peace relies on (self-reliance) and (spiritual guidence) ... [only through] a coherent set of beliefs that cause or create a situation in inner peace is justified through the moral act.

without moral act in an individual, there is no concern about others, let alone yours.

17 hours ago, Dubbelosix said:

Total inner peace relies on (self-reliance) and (spiritual guidence)

Thanks, I'd forgotten the importance of the self in finding inner peace, no-one can do it for you; that doesn't mean you can't be guided (spirituality is unnecessary) but the final step is yours alone. 

[only through] a coherent set of beliefs

Belief can play a part but it's not the only route, there are many roads that lead to it, not all are on the map. 

without moral act in an individual, there is no concern about others, let alone yours.

Please explain because morals seem superfluous in its discovery.

Edited by dimreepr

With a good moral compass you will reap what you sow. Enlightenment is a number of topics in my opinion. It is to create a healthy state not just in our minds but also our surroundings. 

12 hours ago, Dubbelosix said:

With a good moral compass you will reap what you sow. 

That has been dealt with in the thread (please read), karma.

12 hours ago, Dubbelosix said:

Enlightenment is a number of topics in my opinion. It is to create a healthy state not just in our minds but also our surroundings.

The topic is inner-peace, not enlightenment.

34 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That has been dealt with in the thread (please read), karma.

The topic is inner-peace, not enlightenment.

Sorry, bit of confusion there. 

Just now, Dubbelosix said:

Sorry, bit of confusion there. 

No worries, your input is welcome.