49 replies to this topic

#41 StringJunky

StringJunky

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,375 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 AM

I think that fits with my earlier post. You can't imagine a new paradigm if you are constrained by your knowledge. 

The more 'pieces' of knowledge you have, the more permutations are possible in creating new combinations of those pieces.

Education, like life, is a journey not a destination

#42 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 36,711 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted Yesterday, 12:57 PM

The more 'pieces' of knowledge you have, the more permutations are possible in creating new combinations of those pieces.

But what of the new idea is not a permutation of those pieces? e.g. quantum mechanics

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#43 StringJunky

StringJunky

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,375 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 01:21 PM

But what of the new idea is not a permutation of those pieces? e.g. quantum mechanics

You mean a paradigm change? If so, then the idea might be taken from a completely unrelated field and an association/inspiration made. That's the work of a genius mind.

Edited by StringJunky, Yesterday, 01:24 PM.

#44 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 01:28 PM

I'm pretty certain that no one could have come up with quantum mechanics without a thorough understanding of classical science.

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

#45 StringJunky

StringJunky

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,375 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

I'm pretty certain that no one could have come up with quantum mechanics without a thorough understanding of classical science.

Absolutely, you need a thorough understanding of the core knowledge but that 'germ' of the new idea probably came from some other unrelated knowledge. For example, Einstein was around at the dawn of cinematography, when time-lapse films were avant-garde, and, apparently, that inspired him to ask himself if time actually behaved like that. Thinking about it: we can throw serendipity in the mix as well.

#46 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 36,711 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

But that's not an issue here. Nobody has said that imagination, but no knowledge, is sufficient.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

#47 Phi for All

Phi for All

Chief Executive Offworlder

• Moderators
  • 16,778 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

The use of imagination is what we call creativity.
Creativity is very important in science.(including math)It's basically about pattern recognition (imo this is the same as finding logical relationships between data) and finding new solutions to old problems.

Finding solutions to problems leans on creativity.
When you have to solve a complicated physics problem then you first have to imagine the correct path that leads to the solution.
Or when you play tennis for example, you first imagine how you are going to hit the ball, before you hit it.

I don't think we have the same concepts in mind here. To me, what you're describing, problem solving through pattern recognition and reasoned relationships  (instead of logical) is what I would call using knowledge, not imagination. This is probably why I disagree with what you've been saying.

I don't imagine I'm going to hit the ball unless I've never done it before. Since I have, many many times, I'm going to fall back on all that practice and hit the ball the way I know will produce a desirous result. I'll use my knowledge, and my imagination can lurk in the background. I would venture to say that complex physics problems are like that as well. The more complex, the more you rely on solving the problem the way you know it's been solved before. 

If the problem has never been solved before, that's when you need to be creative, as well as knowing what hasn't worked before. If you throw your racket at me after I beat you in tennis and that's never happened to me before, I'll need some quick imagination to figure out my best choices. 

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!" -- Super Chicken

My biggest problem is the absolute ignorance of the others who post here.

#48 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted Today, 02:16 PM

I don't think we have the same concepts in mind here. To me, what you're describing, problem solving through pattern recognition and reasoned relationships  (instead of logical) is what I would call using knowledge, not imagination. This is probably why I disagree with what you've been saying.

I don't imagine I'm going to hit the ball unless I've never done it before. Since I have, many many times, I'm going to fall back on all that practice and hit the ball the way I know will produce a desirous result. I'll use my knowledge, and my imagination can lurk in the background. I would venture to say that complex physics problems are like that as well. The more complex, the more you rely on solving the problem the way you know it's been solved before. 

If the problem has never been solved before, that's when you need to be creative, as well as knowing what hasn't worked before. If you throw your racket at me after I beat you in tennis and that's never happened to me before, I'll need some quick imagination to figure out my best choices.

You are correct. Pattern recognition and finding relationship I think are only possible by using imagination.
When you see some data then you imo use your imagination which is builded by the knowledge of the properties of those data to find a relationship between the data.

If you have hit a ball before then you have to imagine(or visualize) that it will work again.
You have to visualize/imagine the process in your head before you do it. This is very important in sport.
And Every problem is different, you have to imagine you can hit the ball....You will gain new knowledge durng and after the process.

You need to be creative to solve any problem but when you solve an old problem then that means that problem needed your kind of creativity to be solved. Creativity is build by knowledge. Newton and other scientists provided a lot of the knowledge that builded Einstein's creativity.
There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how Nature is. Physics concerns what we say about Nature.

#49 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 36,711 posts

Posted Today, 02:38 PM

You are correct. Pattern recognition and finding relationship I think are only possible by using imagination.
When you see some data then you imo use your imagination which is builded by the knowledge of the properties of those data to find a relationship between the data.

If you have hit a ball before then you have to imagine(or visualize) that it will work again.
You have to visualize/imagine the process in your head before you do it. This is very important in sport.
And Every problem is different, you have to imagine you can hit the ball....You will gain new knowledge durng and after the process.

You need to be creative to solve any problem but when you solve an old problem then that means that problem needed your kind of creativity to be solved. Creativity is build by knowledge. Newton and other scientists provided a lot of the knowledge that builded Einstein's creativity.

Phi's point was that imagination and visualization are being used differently by everyone else. You agree, and then equate the two, implying that you don't agree. 

#50 Phi for All

Phi for All

Chief Executive Offworlder

• Moderators
  • 16,778 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted Today, 03:47 PM

When you phrase it in these ways, I can safely say you're wrong, or at least you aren't using the standard definitions. If you've done something before, your experience takes the place of imagination. Put it this way, if you want to serve the tennis ball to a certain spot on the court you've been successful with before and have done many times, you're going to serve it the same way this time, right? Right? Why would you need to be imaginative about that? 

You seem to be using imagine as "visualize", like you have to visualize yourself doing something before actually doing it. I don't think anyone else is using this definition, and that's why I think you're wrong about this.

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!" -- Super Chicken

My biggest problem is the absolute ignorance of the others who post here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users