Can we increase our neanderthal percentage in any way?

mad_scientist

I have heard that the average person has only 1-4% neanderthal DNA.

If someone has 4% neanderthal DNA in their genes, can they increase their children's percentage by mating with another person of opposite gender who has 4% neanderthal DNA as well?

If the son, daughter etc. have 8% neanderthal DNA can it be increased further by mating them with someone who also has a high neanderthal percentage? If not, can you please explain why the neanderthal DNA in modern humans can only get to 4% at most and not climb any higher? Why is this the limit (If it is)?

Do you think the neanderthal will be able to be brought back to life in future?

Edited by mad_scientist

If man, A, has 4% Neanderthal genes and woman, B, has 4% Neanderthal genes, it does NOT follow that their children will have 8% Neanderthal genes. It is likely (indeed, almost certain) that those are the same genes so that the child would get the gene either from the father or the mother but not both.

If man, A, has 4% Neanderthal genes and woman, B, has 4% Neanderthal genes, it does NOT follow that their children will have 8% Neanderthal genes. It is likely (indeed, almost certain) that those are the same genes so that the child would get the gene either from the father or the mother but not both.

Why is it likely they are the same genes?

Why would you want to bring them back to life, would you have them as a zoo exhibit or dress them in a suit and put them on the underground, maybe they never went extinct.

Maybe because their brains were 25% bigger than ours?

Because such a small percentage of our genes ​are from Neanderthals.

So only the same small set of genes in any person could potentially be Neanderthal? We don't find Neanderthal genes in large stretches of human DNA?

Assuming I understood that correctly, why do you think that is? Why aren't Neanderthal genes found throughout our genome, but instead found only in a small subset?

I used to have a friend who looked like a neanderthal, so much so I ragged him on it all the time. He was from Latvia, short squat powerfully built, he even had the eye ridges. He is dead now, I do miss him, great guy.

I'm not sure the assertion a Neanderthal would have to be kept in a zoo is accurate, no reason his cognitive abilities would be lower than ours and many people today look the part enough to play neanderthal without makeup.

While I doubt you could breed humans and get a neanderthal but with CRISPR technology it might be possible resurrect the species from fossil DNA. The ethics of doing that would have to be debated and understood thoroughly before the attempt was made I think.

So only the same small set of genes in any person could potentially be Neanderthal? We don't find Neanderthal genes in large stretches of human DNA?

Assuming I understood that correctly, why do you think that is? Why aren't Neanderthal genes found throughout our genome, but instead found only in a small subset?

The question is what percent of the overall Neanderthal genome is retained within the human population.

I would suspect that you would not be able to reconstitute anywhere close to a full Neanderthal.

With selective breeding of Zebras the Quagga was brought back from extinction, is there not enough Neanderthal DNA left to bring them back through breeding naturally.

I understand Pigs are being genetically modified so that their organs can be harvested and used in human organ transplants. What amount of pig DNA is similiar to a humans.

Do you get to eat the pig that donated its organs after your organ donation.

Edited by Handy andy

No, it wasn't. Animals that look like Quaggas have been bred, but they are genetically different.

Bugger. Is there nothing written in the public domain that can believed :) Is the 2 to 4% Neanderthal dna all none Africans have an underestimate. How bigger sample was taken.

When you say the new quagga is genetically different, could it bread with the old quaggas if they were still alive.

When you say the new quagga is genetically different, could it bread with the old quaggas if they were still alive.

Hard to say. Different species can sometimes interbreed, it's just that they don't do so on any regular basis in the wild and so there's no breeding population of that offspring.

Hard to say. Different species can sometimes interbreed, it's just that they don't do so on any regular basis in the wild and so there's no breeding population of that offspring.

And (at the risk of drifting further off topic) it is worth noting that the inability to mate, as a species definition, does not mean only a biological inability, but could be due to geographical separation or other factors (for example, it has been suggested, not entirely seriously, that Great Danes and Chihuahuas could be considered separate species).

Humans share approximately 98% of their DNA with chimps, 70% with slugs, and 50% with bananas. What do you mean 4% Neanderthal?

*By share I mean that they encode a functionally equivalent molecule and share a common ancestral gene in the common ancestor of bananas and humans.

adult-supreme-banana-costume-video-thumb

And (at the risk of drifting further off topic) it is worth noting that the inability to mate, as a species definition, does not mean only a biological inability, but could be due to geographical separation or other factors (for example, it has been suggested, not entirely seriously, that Great Danes and Chihuahuas could be considered separate species).

It's amusing to juxtapose (as it were) the physical difference of those breeds with the notion of geographic separation.