Is the Universe in Motion

To be in motion, you have to be changing position with time. Changing position in what? Changing position in a reference frame in space time.

How can the entire Universe change position in space time, if it includes within it ALL of space time?

Does space time extend to infinity, or is there a boundary after which spatial dimensions don't exist? I don't think anybody knows.

Maybe there is a boundary, but it's constantly being extended at the speed of light, so it's impossible to reach.

To be in motion, you have to be changing position with time. Changing position in what? Changing position in a reference frame in space time.

How can the entire Universe change position in space time, if it includes within it ALL of space time?

Does space time extend to infinity, or is there a boundary after which spatial dimensions don't exist? I don't think anybody knows.

Maybe there is a boundary, but it's constantly being extended at the speed of light, so it's impossible to reach.

This thread seems to be revisiting my post 6, where you will also find the answer to your question.

Ok I agree with the post 6; but my question was directed about rotation on its own axis perhaps.

You could have mentioned that earlier rather than waiting until the 29th post in the conversation.

To me _ I see the Universe as a big round body like the earth as an example and why would the Universe have a different shape, and we are parts of it.

So !~ my question << ''Is the Universe in Motion''/ and if so!~ what is the evident proof:

The Universe is not a big round body...The Universe is all of spacetime and all that spacetime contains.

The planets, Moons, Stars, and Galaxies are all in motion as dictated by gravity.

Over larger scales, the Universe is expanding.

The BB happened everywhere at the same time, because everywhere was contained within the singularity from whence the BB arose..... no center, no edge/s

When one says the universe is in motion.... don't they mean that the galaxies are all rotating and flying about around and through each other? That we can see by looking at the night sky with a telescope and the patience to watch and plot the movement of the stars and galaxies in the sky, no?

But if you mean the WHOLE universe as an item... then, how could you possibly know seeing as we can't even see the edge of it? And as swansont said - moving relative to what?

From what I understand at this time, we have no way to indicate that the Universe is rotating or not, unless with reference to the CMBR.

The Universe is not a big round body...The Universe is all of spacetime and all that spacetime contains.

The planets, Moons, Stars, and Galaxies are all in motion as dictated by gravity.

Over larger scales, the Universe is expanding.

The BB happened everywhere at the same time, because everywhere was contained within the singularity from whence the BB arose..... no center, no edge/s

From what I understand at this time, we have no way to indicate that the Universe is rotating or not, unless with reference to the CMBR.

What is the CMBR ?

Actually it's everywhere

So, if it is every where than we're all parts of it and therefore ; it is not possible to tell if the Universe is rotating on its own axis.

In motion with respect to what?

In respect to nothing. If we assume the universe is the only big body, witch is rotating on its own axis and we are a part of it as human on earth, and contains all existing bodies as a old.

So ! is it possible to know if the universe is in motion?

Edited by Roger Dynamic Motion

So, if it is every where than we're all parts of it and therefore ; it is not possible to tell if the Universe is rotating on its own axis.In respect to nothing. If we assume the universe is the only big body, witch is rotating on its own axis and we are a part of it as human on earth, and contains all existing bodies as a old.So ! is it possible to know if the universe is in motion?

Linear motion must be with respect to something. If you meant rotation, you should have said rotation. Using the proper terminology avoids confusion.

If you have rotation you will have a non uniform mass distribution. The universe would measure as inhomogeneous and anistropic regardless of how slow the rotation.

Godel universe is one such hypothetical model. Our universe has a homogenous and isotropic distribution.