6 replies to this topic

#1 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:05 AM

Anyone collect or interested in fossils? I find them and also buy them. If you have any then lets see them. :-) I have more stuff, but here are some of the fossils from my collection. I might put more up if anyone wants to see them.  

A few teeth, Some Trilobites.Some random fossils. Ichthyosaur.

And some Megalodon teeth, 4 to 5.5 inches or so.

Attached Thumbnails

• teeth.jpg
  • trilobite.jpg
  • fossils.jpg
  • Ichthyosaur.jpg
  • megs.jpg

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

#2 Endy0816

Endy0816

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,020 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:41 AM

That's an impressive collection there. Very nice. I'd definitely like to see more.

Bit juvenile but having a chunk of coprolite continues to provide me with amusement :)

LKP0xvxm.jpg

How do you actually go about finding fossils? Are there dig sites, or do you simply go searchng?

#3 DrKrettin

DrKrettin

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

I have a fossilised fish (paleoperca) from the Messel Pit which is now about 47,000,040 years old.  :-)  It is now closed to amateur fossil hunters

κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα / μναμοσύνα σέθεν /  ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον· οὐ / γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων / τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας· 

#4 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 550 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

I collected fossils and crystals when I was young...
I have many shell fossils, mostly out of the Apennine Mountains in Italy.
And I received a piece from a Mammoth tusk, from someone in Dawson city (Yukon).

Edited by Itoero, 21 April 2017 - 07:16 PM.

There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how Nature is. Physics concerns what we say about Nature.

#5 StringJunky

StringJunky

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,114 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

I think these are squid fossils:

Fossils.jpg

Education, like life, is a journey not a destination

#6 NimrodTheGoat

NimrodTheGoat

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

I am also genuinely intrigued as to how one obtaisn fossils. Are there permits needed? Programs to enroll in? Perhaps rules of excavation are different in European countries then they are in the Americas.

P.S. I have been meaning to create a thread showcasing my rocks, but I always forget about it. My procrastination and laziness gets to me the majority of the time.  <_<

smash that like button, or i'll smash you

#7 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

How do you actually go about finding fossils? Are there dig sites, or do you simply go searchng?

I went on holiday a while back to search for some and will probably go again. You can find them not too far from where I live also, mainly marine though. I bought most of mine though from shops and internet really. I've found a few interesting things though.

Bit juvenile but having a chunk of coprolite continues to provide me with amusement  :-)

I've got a few bits of coprolite too. One is full of fish remains and scales, probably from a big shark.

I have a fossilised fish (paleoperca) from the Messel Pit which is now about 47,000,040 years old.   :-)  It is now closed to amateur fossil hunters

I have a nice lepidotes fish skull and a side flank in some rock. I was trying to get the skull out of the rock with an engraver, but it takes ages. I have other fish remains also. I might photograph them when I get round to it.

QUOTE: StringJunky: "I think these are squid fossils"

Belemnites maybe?

P.S. I have been meaning to create a thread showcasing my rocks, but I always forget about it. My procrastination and laziness gets to me the majority of the time.   <_<

Do it :-) or just show them here? I've got some more I will get around to photographing and I'll stick them up here also.  

Edited by DrP, 22 April 2017 - 12:27 AM.

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users