Because of the high costs of Medicare and Social Security, programs that benefit children are under-funded.

qwer

Here's another possible formulation: Because of the high costs of military expenditures,

... and a selfish lack of support by the wealthy...

programs like medicare and social security are underfunded.

Because I really think the wealthy have made these programs look bad so they can siphon even more funding from them for programs they receive more direct benefit from.

According to the OP, I don't think that's a valid conclusion to draw. Underfunded ≠ without benefit.

I interpret the OP's statement as:

Medicare and social security are at high cost. Therefore, programs that benefit children are underfunded.

Does he mean that money goes to expensive medicare and social security, as why per consequence, programs beneficial for children are underfunded?

Or does he mean: medicare and social security are 2 programs that benefit children. But because they are expensive, they are underfunded?

If he means the first part, imo, he forgets that indeed, medicare and social security are 2 programs beneficial for children and he should not generalize that "programs that benefit children" (of which medicare and SS are thus 2 examples) are underfunded.

--

Ah well, that's my only critique here ... I won't mingle into US governmental affairs for I have not the necessary knowledge to do so properly.

Edited by Function