Good 'scientific' movies (new and old are welcome)

Insane

Yes, definately Gatacca, very good and very feasable.

Some of the tech is beyond current human abilities but there is

nothing against the laws of physics.

Alien(The first one and, to some degree, the second) isn't too bad.

Contact, except for perhaps the last 5 minutes, but they are good

last five minutes. I particularly liked the consequences of the asymetry

introuced by the human designers who assumed they knew better than

a highly advanced race how to build the vehicle. ;)

2001: A space odyssey. (I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned this yet).

I'd also recommend B5 as having a heavier emphasis on realistic laws

of physics. For example they need different sections of the station

for oxygen breathers, methane breathers etc and different sections

of the station rotate at different speeds because not all species tolerate

the same gravities. Very well thought out. I'd recommend the movie

"The gathering" as the most science factual of the lot.

Cheers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I didn't get Contact at all. I thought the her father was an alien that only looked that way so she wouldn't be scared of it or something. My religious mother caught the significance. Either way I hated that film. 2001 is another one that is still talked about, but I didn't get it and hated it.

Steven Spielberg's "A.I" was pretty awesome. Slow movie, but it used science to show what could happen in the future. I loved it. Kind of a pinnochio type theme about a robot boy. But even still, it makes you really think.

"Contact" with Jodie Foster in it. They get contacted by aliens and create a telleporter type thing to go and visit them etc. etc. I quie liked it actually.

"Paycheck" Ben Afleck. It's crap but has science in it, very inaccurate science that is.

Steven Spielberg's "A.I[/b']" was pretty awesome. Slow movie, but it used science to show what could happen in the future. I loved it. Kind of a pinnochio type theme about a robot boy. But even still, it makes you really think.

Oh man, how could you say that? AI was a craptastic movie. The ending part especially made me want to vomit.

I'd say that it's only redeming quality is Robin Williams.

Oh man' date=' how could you say that? AI was a craptastic movie. The ending part especially made me want to vomit.

I'd say that it's only redeming quality is Robin Williams.[/quote'] You're thinking about Bicentennial Man, Artificial Intelligence was the one about the little robot boy and his millenia long, dumbass journey, played by the "I see dead people" kid.

And if you think B.M. was bad, A.I. would make you want to go into the garage and beat in your skull with a tire-iron.

Originally Posted by ecoli Oh man, how could you say that? AI was a craptastic movie. The ending part especially made me want to vomit.

Originally Posted by AzurePhoenix And if you think B.M. was bad, A.I. would make you want to go into the garage and beat in your skull with a tire-iron.

Well, I guess the Poll is in on that one. I agree it was extremely drawn out, but I liked the science possibilities behind it.

Contact was also drawn out, and I liked that one too.

How about Mission to Mars with Gary Senise. That was alright.

And if you like Horror, Mary Shelley's Frankentsein was the Bomb!

You're thinking about Bicentennial Man' date=' [u'] Artificial Intelligence[/u] was the one about the little robot boy and his millenia long, dumbass journey, played by the "I see dead people" kid.

And if you think B.M. was bad, A.I. would make you want to go into the garage and beat in your skull with a tire-iron.

No, dude. Robin Williams WAS in AI. He was the voice of Dr. Know, the 3d proffesor, fortune teller-thing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212720/fullcredits

I don't know if you've seen it, but Gattaca is pretty cool. It's about genetics and gene engineering. I loved mission to mars, I don't know if it's scientifically correct but it's good. Oh and Jason X or whichever one he goes to space in puts Stephen Hawkins in his place, just kidding.

Gattaca reminded me of Brave New World as a movie

No' date=' dude. Robin Williams WAS in AI. He was the voice of Dr. Know, the 3d proffesor, fortune teller-thing.

[/quote'] Sorry, didn't realize. I'm sure you can understand my misconception. AND WILL PEOPLE STOP CALLING ME DUDE!?!?!?!

Sorry, didn't realize. I'm sure you can understand my misconception. AND WILL PEOPLE STOP CALLING ME DUDE!?!?!?!

sorry dude...

your just cool like a dude. most girls dont talk about chopping off second heads. or plant their knees in the stomaches of bible thumpers.

Sorry, didn't realize. I'm sure you can understand my misconception. AND WILL PEOPLE STOP CALLING ME DUDE!?!?!?!

Iceberg Nirvana dude/chick/sadistic pervert/emotional abuser/penguin killer/bible thumper/THIS LIST CAN GO ON FOREVER!!!! :P

paleolithic:

Hey I didn't get the movie either but th science in it was quite good,

especially the spaceship designs.

And yeah, I was talking about B5 the Gathering.

The Abyss, that wasn't too bad, although I didn't buy the haymaker

taking out the elite commando guy.

Cheers

Gattaca reminded me of Brave New World as a movie

I assume you mean the "Brave New World" of the movie world, the movie as a pioneer of it's kind...Because the stories are not anywhere simliar.

Am I right? please clarify :confused:

I dunno, I see a lot of similarities between the book and the movie, and those differences are probably a result of the book being written before we really knew much about heredity and DNA.

However, I could also see that I may simply be linking them because of the similarity of subject matter and theme.

Mokele

The Abyss was very good, too.
Some fine acting in The Abyss as well. I really felt the panic when they had to breathe in that oxygenated fluid to equalize their lung pressure. That's my favorite of the deep ocean movies. Except I hated the end where all those V-hulled boats were sitting upright on the alien ship. Not good, not good at all.

I think a good ending can make a bad flick tolerable, but a bad ending sours the best of them.

I heard both good and bad things about "A.I.", but I was really disappointed when I saw it, I'm not even sure what it was about the movie...

Anyone remember "The Sixth Day" with Arnold Schwarzenegger? (I probably butchered the spelling of his name, sorry.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...