Evil: the result of sentience

Ultimate Infinity

Again you make an assertion that does not stand up to the reality of the situation, there is very little if any evidence that bigfoot exists and a huge number of reasons to think it does not exist. There is no empirical evidence that god exists and if you think I should quit showing how baseless your assertions are I would suggest you stop making such nonsensical arguments to try and support your beliefs. I car not what you believe, why do you care that i do not? Why should i stop making objections to your assertions? Maybe you should stop making assertions that bronze age mythology is true...

Bigfoot gives me comfort, gives me a purpose to live, gives me a strong moral foundation to live my life by...

Mootanmann i refuse to argue with such an immature and repulsive character as your self for any longer

Mootanmann i refuse to argue with such an immature and repulsive character as your self for any longer

I think we can do without the ad hominem attacks, it shows just how hollow your arguments really are...

Good for you, so there's no need for my rhetoric, unless those foundations cause harm.

I would agree, I think everyone should be free to believe in what they want, asserting it as true with out evidence is what i object to..

I think we can do without the ad hominem attacks, it shows just how hollow your arguments really are...

Well yeah, but getting called immature?! That's like getting carded at the liquor store for guys our age. More compliment than affront.

Repulsive, that's a judgement call. Some folks think Basset Hounds are ugly. We know better, Moon.

Ya support each other you fellow atheists that all you do here

You have a lot to learn, I support reality, anyone who takes a stance not consistent with the evidence is in my cross hairs. Their belief or lack of belief in the supernatural is not relevant..

Ya you are all real special believing in your tricking realty crap by the why if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen

So your stance is better than your own Pope? I have no problem taking the heat, how about you build a fire instead of taking about starting one...

Well the Pope says that the bible is allegorical in much of what it says, the Pope says evolution is true and creationism is absurd...

Hats off to the Pope, but I am keen to find out exactly what is left for followers of the RC faith to cling onto if that is their contemporary approach?

Hats off to the Pope, but I am keen to find out exactly what is left for followers of the RC faith to cling onto if that is their contemporary approach?

Really? I mean, really?

A large number of religions have been of that opinion for centuries, so I am not sure why you think this "revelation" (to you) has such a great significance. Again, maybe it is a US thing, but biblical literalism has usually been a minority view in the rest of the world.

Roman Catholic doctrine: It teaches that revelation has one common source, God, and two distinct modes of transmission: Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition, and that these are authentically interpreted by the Magisterium. Sacred Scripture consists of the 73 books of the Catholic Bible, consisting of 46 Old Testament and 27 New Testament writings. Sacred Tradition consists of those teachings believed by the Church to have been handed down since the time of the Apostles. Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition are collectively known as the "deposit of faith" (depositum fidei).

The Catholic Church teaches that, immediately after death, the soul of each person will receive a particular judgement from God, based on their sins and their relationship to Christ.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:

By his sin Adam, as the first man, lost the original holiness and justice he had received from God, not only for himself but for all humans.

Adam and Eve transmitted to their descendants human nature wounded by their own first sin and hence deprived of original holiness and justice; this deprivation is called "original sin".

The Catholic Church teaches that every human person born on this earth is made in the image of God... the consequences for (human) nature, weakened and inclined to evil, persist in man".

In the theology of the Catholic Church, original sin is regarded as the general condition of sinfulness, that is (the absence of holiness and perfect charity) into which humans are born, distinct from the actual sins that a person commits.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin#Roman_Catholicism)

See if you can perhaps spot the inconsistencies of the above teachings if one assumes an allegorical Bible (Sacred Scripture?) and accepts evolution. Post #5 of this thread already explored the fallacy of the sinful- or evil nature of man, we can argue that morality is a naturally acquired trait, while evolution rules out the idea that Adam & Eve could have been the first humans. So if humans do not have a unique morality or sinful nature (opposed to other animals), then humans never were reliant on divine salvation, i.e. no need for Mary's supernatural virgin birth to Jesus (Christ), his crucifixion, nor his supernatural resurrection, or the need to have any special relationship with him...unless it is all entirely allegorical...in order to satisfy humanity's "instinctive" spiritual needs and to continue justifying the existence of the holy RCC (as a means for said salvation).

Edited by Memammal

And I agree with all of that and have never said otherwise boy

Never said otherwise? You said the bible was literally true, flip flop much?

If you take the OP literally in some sense I think you can indeed say that evil if the result of sentience, it takes sentience to decide if something is evil, with out sentience there can be no claim something is evil...

Never said otherwise? You said the bible was literally true, flip flop much?

If you take the OP literally in some sense I think you can indeed say that evil if the result of sentience, it takes sentience to decide if something is evil, with out sentience there can be no claim something is evil...

Ok I think I'm always honest on this site and with that said I know for a fact that I never said the bible is always literally true please don't make wild claims

Such a convenient excuse for all the biblical inaccuracies... Yet it is claimed to be the word of God..?

I'm not sure you understand as the purpose of the bible it is not a history or science book it is God speaking to us and teaching us lessons that will help us be better people

I was thinking about what valuable lessons there are in the Bible that will help us to be better people. The OT, as far as I can gather, is not a very good point of reference/example of how to be good. Do you really want people (or parents) to act like the God of the OT..? Jesus of the NT was different, but then he basically lived and preached the Essene gospel so nothing original about it. So what then? Paul's epistles to the newly formed congregations to calm their internal tension and conflict perhaps?

Just to add, fact is that the Bibble has a terrible record for teaching people how to be better. History reveals many horrible deeds that were committed and wars that were (and still are being) fought under the banner of that holy book.

Edited by Memammal

Ok I think I'm always honest on this site and with that said I know for a fact that I never said the bible is always literally true please don't make wild claims

Can you tell me which parts are true and which parts are allegorical?

Can you?

No, nor do I pretend to know what should and should not be followed. The bible asserts that all of it should be followed, so very little of it can be shown to be true, and much of it can be shown to be false I see no reason to follow any of it..

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it the concepts of good and evil are subjective human constructs.

Why do these concepts survive? It's because our species exists and keeps them alive. (Intelligent species elsewhere in the universe may well have similar concepts of morality as we do.)

But there is neither good or evil in nature and the evidence shows that humanity is really insignificant in the intergalactic scheme of things. This means that the Universe doesn't care about us any more than it cares for an ant.

And when it comes down to our animal nature, we will probably continue murdering, torturing, raping, persecuting and terrorising fellow humans for a long, long time to come.

As for good and evil - when our species is eventually extinct, our moral dilemmas will be as forgotten as the dreams of dinosaurs.

Edited by seriously disabled