PC running for 5 + hours at room temperature 40 Celsius, then CPU burns??

fresh

I is a common problem. CPU generally generates a lot of heat. To cool this down most computers have a fan installed over the CPU. The main problem with this is that the fan can build up dust which if it isn't properly cleaned every few months can cause the CPU to overheat. The second possibility is that the CPU was over-clocked and has simply burned out. The third option is there is insufficient air getting into the case to circulate properly. The fourth is that the fan can have electrical faults from time to time. Or simply stop spinning altogether. A famous ps3 error "the red light of death" was caused by cpu overheat.

thanks fiveworlds, how can i test whether my CPU or other hardware has problem ?

my PC is too hot to touch in 30 minutes ! i am afraid it will burn .....

Edited by fresh

Modern desktop cpus generate approx. 50 watts ( or more, that's as hot as a lightbulb ), and that's not including other heat generating components such as drives and the graphics card.

If the exhaust from the back of the case is at room temperature, there is no heat transfer from the cpu to the heat sink, to the fan airstream, and finally out of the case. Something is not working properly in that chain. It could be the heat sink mounting, the heat sink thermal grease, a dirty heat sink, or a non working fan.

That means your cpu is frying !

Use a cpu temp app, or the one that comes with your motherboard, to keep an eye on cpu temps.

If the exhaust at the back of the case is hot, that is an indication things are working as they should.

Edited by MigL

your pc feels cold ? how come ?

He is using PHP and browser only ;)

When CPU is not heavily crunching numbers all the time, it should be around ~50 C at most.

If you have single-thread cruching numbers app, it will use 12.5% of 4 core (8 HT) power Core i7/Xeon.

But if you have multi-threaded app, it could go to 100%, if there will be little I/O operations.

Modern BIOS has temperature detector on CPU and motherboard and if threshold is exceeded (you can set in BIOS), computer will shut-down.

I had such shut-downs last year.

And it was dirty cooler and lack of good silicon between CPU and cooler..

Edited by Sensei

• 1 month later...