Alternate world history.

Mad For Science

I don't know if this question belongs on this forum so feel free to move it to the Trash Can if you want but I have often wondered about this:

How would have our history (especially the history of space exploration) have been different if the Earth had a moon with a breathable atmosphere? I think that would have changed it dramatically.

Edited by Mad For Science

I don.t know about a moon with breathable atmosphere, but if a planet within our solar system had a atmosphere and also intelligent life, We would now have ships way beyond what we have now, Perhaps even decades of space warfare,

If this is the case throughout our universe where more than one intelligent life form exists in the same solar system, it should be something to be worried about.

I don.t know about a moon with breathable atmosphere, but if a planet within our solar system had a atmosphere and also intelligent life, We would now have ships way beyond what we have now, Perhaps even decades of space warfare,

If this is the case throughout our universe where more than one intelligent life form exists in the same solar system, it should be something to be worried about.

Just wait until the Titanides find Huygens sitting on their planet...

It would also mean a moon massive enough to maintain an atmosphere, which probably has ramifications to our development.

Twin Earth sized worlds orbiting each other, now that is a thought that would have ramifications if realized...

I like that video, it is good for visualizing sizes of the various planets and the difference between what they look like to a camera and to our eye. The full moon looks enormous as it comes above the horizon to the naked eye but to the camera is it considerably less impressive if I understand correctly this is due to our brain and how it interprets visual data under different circumstances.

If we were in orbit of Jupiter or Saturn what a magnificent sight those planets would be to those who lived on the side of the Earth that faced the giant planets, can you imagine the legends that would have arose from watching the clouds and storms not to mention the dance of all the smaller moons which would be visible discs in the sky as well and the rings of Saturn! Wars might be fought to claim the lands under the visage of "god"

I was a bit disappointed at how small Venus looked, i expected it to look a bit more like Uranus... :eek:

When I imagine a twin Earth sized planets i visualize them being so close they share an atmosphere and whirling around each other in hours, may as well be as dramatic as possible :P