Happy Pi day

imatfaal

Embarrassed about forgetting Pi day?

Concerned that your geek credentials might be in question?

Try this easy solution!

Wait a week and a half then announce that it's pi day all over again.

Pi = 3.243F6A8885A308D313

from

http://calccrypto.wikidot.com/math:pi-hex

Brought to you by the letters A to F and the number 16

^_^

I'm looking forward to next year: 3/14/15

...at 9:26? ;)

Hey, am I the only one surprised to learn Albert Einstein was born on 3/14 ...in 1879; or am I just the last to learn about this "of course!" bit of trivia?

~

...at 9:26? ;)

Hey, am I the only one surprised to learn Albert Einstein was born on 3/14 ...in 1879; or am I just the last to learn about this "of course!" bit of trivia?

~

No - I found out today when I was checking Chad Orzel's blog page. Screw pi day it's Einstein Day from now on! Well apart from next year at 9.26 which will be cool

• 1 year later...

Embarrassed about forgetting Pi day?

Concerned that your geek credentials might be in question?

Try this easy solution!

Wait a week and a half then announce that it's pi day all over again.

Pi = 3.243F6A8885A308D313

from

http://calccrypto.wikidot.com/math:pi-hex

Brought to you by the letters A to F and the number 16

^_^

It’s like big bird and the count had a baby...

That counts for Americans only. For me it is 14.03.16 and I suppose for the Germans too.

And for the Brits. But we have to make do with American counting - that is unless you have plans to put 31 days in April or get a calendar with 14 months

How is it we're the only ones smart enough to want to know the day before the month?

???

Your location is the U.S. or am I missing something?

--------------

As side notes

_we are celebrating Albert's birthday but unfortunately Albert is passed away. Which means that wishing to a dead is like talking to his spirit. Which is a reminder of the cult of the dead.

_the Pi day at this date reminds me numerology.

_which means that all the above is not very scientific if one has to look at is seriously.

???

Your location is the U.S. or am I missing something?

It's chronologically correct to order by day/month/year (3/14/16). But in reality, it's most often spoken as March 14, 2016, so you other side of the pond-ers are just writing it the way you speak it. You're consistent, but not accurate. We're accurate, but not consistent.

It's chronologically correct to order by day/month/year (3/14/16). But in reality, it's most often spoken as March 14, 2016, so you other side of the pond-ers are just writing it the way you speak it. You're consistent, but not accurate. We're accurate, but not consistent.

But it's 14/3/16 if you do it in d/m/y order. We in the US do generally say March 14, 2016 (as opposed to 14 March) so we write it as we say it. We're consistent.

We are consistent ( I would say "today is the 15th of March 2016" and I would write that as 15/3/16) and we are more accurate in that we have the most rapidly changing and most significant digit as the first and most obvious. I regularly need to look at my watch/computer/phone to check which day it is (too many years of substance abuse - I know) but I never have to check which month it is - you put the most useful info at the front.

edit

I cannot believe we are still arguing about this - and that the US standard will probably dominate in the end. Just curious is there anything we would not argue?

You have July 22nd, though.

Efimov day is not one I have heard mention of

Edited by imatfaal

We are consistent ( I would say "today is the 15th of March 2016" and I would write that as 15/3/16) and we are more accurate in that we have the most rapidly changing and most significant digit as the first and most obvious. I regularly need to look at my watch/computer/phone to check which day it is (too many years of substance abuse - I know) but I never have to check which month it is - you put the most useful info at the front.

edit

I cannot believe we are still arguing about this - and that the US standard will probably dominate in the end. Just curious is there anything we would not argue?

It is not important who is right and who is wrong. The important thing is to solve this Babel myth and decide once for all to use the same system.

I should never post as I'm running out the door.

Daylight saving sleep-deprivation is also an acceptable response.

Efimov day is not one I have heard mention of

22/7 is an approximation for pi (to two digits). Not as good as cube root of 31, but that's hard to find on a calendar.

22/7 is an approximation for pi (to two digits). Not as good as cube root of 31, but that's hard to find on a calendar.

My teachers always said that I tended to forsake the obvious.

I'm going to be really uncool (and honest) by saying I didn't even know there was a Pi Day :P

…and now I'm going to find somewhere to hide :ph34r:

Welcome to Geek Central. You will get confirmation you are in the company of nerds when you note that Tau day is celebrated to an equal extent

My teachers always said that I tended to forsake the obvious.

Welcome to Geek Central. You will get confirmation you are in the company of nerds when you note that Tau day is celebrated to an equal extent

How do you pronounce Tau?

In modern Greek it is pronounced Taf

And Pi? I have seen over the Web that it is said to be pronounced like a pie (hence the cut of a pie on Pi day) , is that accurate?