Things that aren't allowed but would make life easier

Popcorn Sutton

Negotiating for a loan on a house that only asks for $300/mo. I'm willing to pay that for a while.

Negotiating a pay wage that will allow us to live on our own.

It seems that money is going towards things that aren't very important. You guys want us to get a college education, don't ask us to pay for it, and stop trying to get rich off of it. That goes for alot of things. It disturbs me when people try to get rich off of other peoples product.

In these days, you have to prove youre making 3 times the rent for a poor location that is asking for $525/mo. I can't do that

Negotiating for a loan on a house that only asks for $300/mo. I'm willing to pay that for a while.

That's not forbidden. It depends on how much you are borrowing.

That's not forbidden.

Don't you live with your parents? It's hard to live cheaper, in most cases, so I don't know why you're complaining. Once you get a job and all that, you'll be able to afford living somewhere else.

My last point was about renting, but I would never take a loan for renting. It just seems that it really is asking too much to get a break and be able to live on my own. I'm working on getting a job that will help pay for my independence, but in the meantime, I'm stuck with a $50 bill, a $75 bill, and a $180 bill for schooling, with gas coming in at about $100 a month, and an income that barely reaches $950 a month. I've been living like this for a while and there are alot of other people living like this as well (in my area at least). A mini home sounds appealing.

To address swansont's post. Theyre not forbidden legally, but theres no way someone will actually take that offer.

That is ad hominem. All I intended to do was draw attention towards a way we can solve this whole housing issue because I am a victim of it. I'd like to see it solved soon. If we need to extend the duration of loans to reduce the cost of living, then why not try?

I have yet to see a friend of mine move out of their parents house. I did it once and could not afford it

Thank you btw ewmon, I'm looking into these mini homes

That is ad hominem. All I intended to do was draw attention towards a way we can solve this whole housing issue because I am a victim of it. I'd like to see it solved soon. If we need to extend the duration of loans to reduce the cost of living, then why not try?

I have yet to see a friend of mine move out of their parents house. I did it once and could not afford it

You're also a victim of not having a supermodel girlfriend. To be independent, you need to at least have a job. Don't you think? One thing students do is go in together a rent a place.

If you do need to stay with you parents, try to make lemonade of the situation. Help out with laundry, etc. as if you are working for the rent. I think the American's culture of stressing that kids leave the nest will need to be modified. Kids can be independent while living with their parents. Parents don't have to wait for kids to leave before changing the relationship between them. Doing this will also help if/when the parent becomes dependent on the child in later years.

One thing students do is go in together a rent a place.

I was waiting for someone to suggest this. I never could have afforded to rent alone while going to school and working part time. I rented with two friends, and we handled the bills just fine. Get a Costco membership and split everything evenly.

The tiny home thing is cool, but it will still be more expensive than three roommates sharing costs. And something about living alone in a place like that doesn't sound like much of an improvement socially from living with your parents. It's good to be with people your own age who have similar problems.

A good place to start would be to stop feeling sorry for yourself. I remember being where you are. Roommates can be a challenge but you learn a lot about human nature living with people primarily for financial reasons. By the way, roommates don't have to be your friends. Maybe better if they are not. If you can’t cut roommates try tiny little dives in the bad part of town. Just don’t own anything worth stealing and don’t lock your doors. When I couldn't take roommates any longer that is what I did. I look back on that time of my life with fondness. I would definitely relive every minute of it. I remember feeling rich when I had my current bills paid, some food in the pantry, and twenty bucks in my pocket. I don't think I ever felt freer.

• 3 weeks later...

My in-laws have a cabin on a river way out in the country. It has running water, electricity, a bathroom, and is furnished with all of the junk no one would want to have in their own homes. Basically it is one step above sleeping in a tent.

The cabin was broken into several times a year, requiring repairs of broken windows and the like each time. I wondered how he could possibly stop that from happening.

His solution was to keep the doors unlocked and put up a sign that read "Unlocked. Please close door on your way out." People still enter periodically, but since there is nothing worth stealing, the only change for my father-in-law was that he no longer had to replace broken windows.

Why do you say "don't lock your doors"?

My in-laws have a cabin on a river way out in the country. It has running water, electricity, a bathroom, and is furnished with all of the junk no one would want to have in their own homes. Basically it is one step above sleeping in a tent.

The cabin was broken into several times a year, requiring repairs of broken windows and the like each time. I wondered how he could possibly stop that from happening.

His solution was to keep the doors unlocked and put up a sign that read "Unlocked. Please close door on your way out." People still enter periodically, but since there is nothing worth stealing, the only change for my father-in-law was that he no longer had to replace broken windows.

I used to put a note on my refrigerator that said "Please don't drink all my beer", and after that there was always one left.

• 3 weeks later...

Quite often when pondering situations, I try to put myself in the position of the other party. So perhaps putting yourself in the position of the lender might provide an answer.

Similarly, put yourself in the position of the employer.

It seems that money is going towards things that aren't very important. You guys want us to get a college education, don't ask us to pay for it, and stop trying to get rich off of it. That goes for alot of things. It disturbs me when people try to get rich off of other peoples product.

Not quite sure what you're saying. But it sounds like the wrong voting choice was made in a democracy.

In these days, you have to prove youre making 3 times the rent for a poor location that is asking for $525/mo. I can't do that

Sounds similar to your first query above.

It might seem unfair but I think what you describe is the result of a free market democracy. And as such we have to be very circumspect when casting our vote. Getting the wrong leader all full of presentation and no content or a lunatic, is our fault.

• 8 years later...
On 7/21/2013 at 5:26 AM, zapatos said:

lol😂