the ultimate debate

chris logan

Study logical fallacies, so you can avoid them personally and recognize them when used against you.

This is solid advice and should be followed.

i just joined a (highschool) debate team, any advice or maybe a couple of tips?

Know your opponents position better than they do. Study harder than them. Know when there are holes in their arguments because you would have made the same argument better if you were on their side.

I'm no master debater, but I have a tip that goes along with iNow's tip above. Pick the battles you can win. Through devil's advocation, you might find that your teammates are taking an angle that doesn't work for them, so you have to take a new angle. Plus, taking a new angle will give the opponent a curve ball.

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

In my opinion, You could win any argument if you are good enough at arguing. As long as the points you make are factual, and you drop them in at the right time. It doesn't matter which side of the debate you are on, As you can win either way as long as you are smarter than your opponent. Now people will argue with me here that there are some arguments that are right and some that are wrong, So the side with the right answers would win, Not necessarily. Ever seen tobacco companies win a debate? yeah even though they kill millions of people, It is because people choose to smoke, By banning cigarettes or whatever you are basically declaring that people aren't smart enough to make up their own mind. Which is wrong. People watching the debate get all worked up about not being able to make up their own mind and side with the tobacco companies. (just an example)

Are you asking for tips on debating or topics to debate?

If it's tips on debating then all i can really say is be mindful during the debate, They will either slip up and say something not entirely true, Or say something that could be seen both ways at which point you should jump in and say well hang on ... people can be persuaded of anything really, You just need to be convincing.

I personally do not like arguing,

it's a vicious cycle that is never ending,

but what i have learned is ,

to become a great arguer,

knowledge,wisdom,understand,the thought process and no emotions

is the best why.

but all that is just my thought.

Actually, I learned an important lesson during the one live debate that I had. If you have something conceptually intricate to communicate, it would be a good idea to have the exact words practiced and written down, and some visual aids if possible. You might think you can communicate it in a minute or so, but time really flies when you're actually up there.

Regarding the post by SomethingToPonder, I think it's anyone's game once people begin appealing to emotions. However, I think well laid out, accessible, extensively thought-through logic and analysis will trump emotion nearly every time.

The only problem with logic is that it extrapolates. Any well-defined system of decision making will lead to liked conclusions and disliked conclusions because we're all fundamentally irrational creatures.

Study logical fallacies, so you can avoid them personally and recognize them when used against you.

I've never been on a debate team so I don't know how you are judged, but if you are trying to make it sound like you won an argument, you may want to consider using logical fallacies. If you understand them well, you can use them to your advantage, while being very subtle about it. Logical fallacies are often very effective. That is why they are so often used.

I've never been on a debate team so I don't know how you are judged, but if you are trying to make it sound like you won an argument, you may want to consider using logical fallacies. If you understand them well, you can use them to your advantage, while being very subtle about it. Logical fallacies are often very effective. That is why they are so often used.

I think it's like a boxing match. If you think you can get away with putting a horseshoe in your glove, it will definitely help you win, but if you get caught, the rest of your hard work is all for nothing.

If it is more like soccer or basketball then purposely fouling in certain circumstances is expected and taught by the coaches. Often times the penalty is a smaller price to pay than you would pay for not fouling.

If it is more like soccer or basketball then purposely fouling in certain circumstances is expected and taught by the coaches. Often times the penalty is a smaller price to pay than you would pay for not fouling.

I don't know about that. If you become known for using logical fallacies, it can bring your entire argument into question, even when it's good. You can poison your own well, so to speak.

I don't know about that. If you become known for using logical fallacies, it can bring your entire argument into question, even when it's good. You can poison your own well, so to speak.

Yes, actually that makes more sense. If you do it while building your foundation I can see where it would put your whole argument at risk.

What if you intentionally make it look like you unintentionally led the audience to make the fallacious connection? evil.gif

What if you intentionally make it look like you unintentionally led the audience to make the fallacious connection? evil.gif

Sort of like, "I, personally, have never seen my opponent's lips move when he reads, nor do I put any stock in the rumors that he counts on his fingers under the table when asked how many beers he has for breakfast."

Sort of like, "I, personally, have never seen my opponent's lips move when he reads, nor do I put any stock in the rumors that he counts on his fingers under the table when asked how many beers he has for breakfast."

Wow, never has it been so apparent to me, the BIG difference between appearing nice and really being nice.

It reminds me of Romney apologizing for his use of the term "Obamacare" even though he would continue to use the term.

And if not, I'll get rid of it. "Obamacare" is on my list. I apologize, Mr. President. I use that term with all respect.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/03/162258551/transcript-first-obama-romney-presidential-debate

Hey! i just joined a (highschool) debate team, any advice or maybe a couple of tips? Need a bit of help here guys..

LD debates are common in high school. They are won in cross. Ask yes / no questions that you've already planned out. Ask them quick and interrupt your opponent if they get much past yes / no with their answer. You can highlight inconsistencies that don't necessarily exist (It's cheap, but it works.) Example:

You support the exploration of space? ...

Yes...

You don't support the president's initiative for a trip to mars?

No...

You do realize mars is in space?

Then keep going. Don't give them time to answer that one. Lincoln Douglas debates are won in cross.

Study logical fallacies, so you can deal with them. It is vital that you notice it when they are used against you, and it can be nice to sneak in a fallacy to get you an advantage every now and then.

Also, you should be careful with emotions: you can appeal to the emotions of the audience, but you should remain in control of your own emotions at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

Creating doubt in the opponent's argument is one way to overcome a debate depending on the circumstance. Trying to convince a person of your argument can sometimes be difficult and it can be more effective through slight hints towards your side. If you are able to make a person jump to a conclusion based off hints you provide leading them in the direction of your favor they will be more likely to hold that belief since it was spurred from their own thoughts instead of giving them the feeling they were convinced to believe that side.