Is the 4th ofJuly just another day?

rigney

My answer to a young military retiree who wants everyone to reaffirm their allegiance to this country each 4th of July by reciting the

"Declaration of Independance"

Unfortunately most of us here in the States will never see the living conditions in other countries as you have. And while "self-inflicted" slum area squalor of our big cities is nothing compared to the many Barrios strewn throughout Central and South America and mud houses throughout the entire Middle East, "arrogantly lazy folks" here in America still want more. Can the giving continue to be other than more unaffordable? No! But then, the Constitution can only work for those who “want” to obey it. Perhaps we should shame congress into obeying it better? But YES!, lets pledge ourselves to it every 4th of July.
Edited by rigney

If on that day we're collectively celebrating our individual freedoms, then how is forcing everyone to recite something on that day reflective of said freedom? "Today, to celebrate our freedom we'll be mandating that everyone..."

Seems like one of those ideas that to some feels right at first in the gut, but is really quite stupid and myopic when considered more than just topically.

quote name='iNow' timestamp='1339170554' post='683139']

If on that day we're collectively celebrating our individual freedoms, then how is forcing everyone to recite something on that day reflective of said freedom? "Today, to celebrate our freedom we'll be mandating that everyone..."

Seems like one of those ideas that to some feels right at first in the gut, but is really quite stupid and myopic when considered more than just topically.

Today, to celebrate our freedom we'll be mandating that everyone...

No! Forcing everyone to celebrate the 4th of July, reaffirming a belief in their freedoms would be like Hitler coming to power in the 30s. To deminish the esteem of those apposed to a status quo, eventually leads to the lesser of the two factions being in power. What then? Will it matter?

"Is the 4th of July just another day?"

Yes.

Have to ask John. Do you celebrate holidays? If so, for what reasons? If not, then forget that I posed the question. Edited by rigney

Yes, but what do you think July 4 means to me or to the other 95% of the world's population who don't live in the USA?

Do you celebrate the fifth of November?

No! Other than it being just another day of the week we have to get through before Saturday brings some relief. But we do celebrate "Cinco de Mayo", do you? Edited by rigney

That's when we light bonfires to remind us that Thanksgiving is "just" around the corner.

Yea! Us Hill Billies do the same thing. But isn't it a fun and fantastic time of year?

We taught them how to win a war back in the late 1700's. :)

Sorry John Cuthber, couldn't resist. I like you even though you're a red-coat.

That's OK, some of us celebrate getting rid of you.

In any event you only won because you had the "Cheese eating surrender monkeys" on your side.

BTW,

Rigney,

no we don't celebrate the 5th of May, but we celebrate international star-wars day the day before.

Edited by John Cuthber

That's OK, some of us celebrate getting rid of you.

In any event you only won because you had the "Cheese eating surrender monkeys" on your side.

BTW,

Rigney,

no we don't celebrate the 5th of May, but we celebrate international star-wars day the day before.

Personally I don't celebrate "Cinco de Mayo" either. That is, unless I have a good bottle of tequila on hand.

And what's with the "Cheese eating surrender monkey" thing you hit Phi for All with? Who were they, if I might ask?

Edited by rigney

Personally I don't celebrate "Cinco de Mayo" either. That is, unless I have a good bottle of tequila on hand.

And what's with the "Cheese eating surrender monkey" thing you hit Phi for All with? Who were they, if I might ask?

The French were on the American colonies' side during the American Revolution. John was rebutting my joke that we kicked their [England's] asses in the American revolution.

It is true. The French were a huge ally to us in that war though I think they really just hated the Brits more than they liked us.

Perhaps the British should celebrate June 10th. It's our nearest equivalent to "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

King John probably didn't see it that way in 1215, but it was a step in the right direction.

http://www.middle-ag...magna-carta.htm

Edited by Joatmon

The fact that our Commander in Chief at the time was mad might have also had an effect.

Or the fact that your combat strategy encompassed wearing brightly colored coats and standing in a single file line? In all fairness we did some of that nonsense as well, but at least we had the good sense to do things like harass supply lines and British camps guerrillia style.

But hey, I'm willing to call truce because I think we can both agree that if it wasn't for the grumpy Brits and annoying Yanks the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" would have gotten their asses handed to them permanently in WWII.

The French were on the American colonies' side during the American Revolution. John was rebutting my joke that we kicked their [England's] asses in the American revolution.

It is true. The French were a huge ally to us in that war though I think they really just hated the Brits more than they liked us.

OH! Those cheese eaters. I do have to admit that Lafayette played a big support role in our winning of that war.

I don't why I'm putting this on - I'm British! Ah well, it's only history.sad.gif

I enjoyed your video much better than the one Johnny made on the Ed Sullivan Show some years back. Total garbage! And it wasn't Johnnys fault. Take a look. And history? Without it there would be no future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRK3DNoa_Q

Edited by rigney

I enjoyed your video much better than the one Johnny made on the Ed Sullivan some years back. Total garbage! And it wasn't Johnnys fault. Take a look. And history? Without it there would be no future.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LsRK3DNoa_Q

Agree about the Johnny Horton video. If you can find a version in which the British win that would be rather nice (Oh I forgot for a moment it's history) biggrin.gif

Yea! Us Hill Billies do the same thing. But isn't it a fun and fantastic time of year?

What is it about hill billies burning bonfires? I grew up a hill billy and I am still obsessed with burning large fires, i had the law come over while I was enjoying one a few months ago, they didn't seem to like it much though...

What is it about hill billies burning bonfires? I grew up a hill billy and I am still obsessed with burning large fires, i had the law come over while I was enjoying one a few months ago, they didn't seem to like it much though...

Ain't a thin' wrong with a bonfire Moon. It's just that if you strike a match today, even to squib a "toke smoke" in public, you'll have cops on your ass in a heart beat. I just hope you can still remember the marshmeller' and 'tater roasts we had in that part of the country? And a jug of shine to go along with them???? OH Yea! Edited by rigney

Ain't a thin' wrong with a bonfire Moon. It's just that if you strike a match today, even to squib a "toke smoke" in public, you'll have cops on your ass in a heart beat. I just hope you can still remember the marshmeller' and 'tater roasts we had in that part of the country? And a jug of shine to go along with them???? OH Yea!

It's really weird the way people get nuts over a fire, even one that is completely in control, almost like some people and knives...