Making your credentials known to new-comers

michel123456

I don't know who to believe. I know that their credentials won't guarantee who is correct and who is not, but if I determined that one of them had a PhD in physics and the other was an avid reader of science fiction, I would have some useful information.

Most statements like these can be verified with little effort by completely unqualified individuals should they implement a little research! Whichever is the one that pulls the most results in its favour, or in a definitive statement no results tends to be insightful.

Mendel Sachs says no :/

Most statements like these can be verified with little effort by completely unqualified individuals should they implement a little research! Whichever is the one that pulls the most results in its favour, or in a definitive statement no results tends to be insightful.

Mendel Sachs says no :/

Completely agree. There are many ways to help you determine if information is valid. I am simply saying that researching someone's credentials is one of them.

And if I do a Google search on this topic, I am still going to look at the credentials of the web site I land on. (Was it MIT.com or pseudoscience.com?)

Completely agree. There are many ways to help you determine if information is valid. I am simply saying that researching someone's credentials is one of them.

And if I do a Google search on this topic, I am still going to look at the credentials of the web site I land on. (Was it MIT.com or pseudoscience.com?)

Absolutely, but I tend to think of a forum as a place for suggestions and insight rather than a place to gain factual information. I don't care if the person on the other end is God, at some point I will confirm with a text. This is quite unlike when I read a text, where I simply accept what I read until I am required to apply it in a meaningful way or I find some problem with it. It's a forum, a great place to find new ideas from people who already had them, not really a place to learn. A lot of this talk is entirely too serious, it chases people away and makes it sound like an educational facility which it is in no way that. . . .

... I tend to think of a forum as a place for suggestions and insight rather than a place to gain factual information.

This is in my opinion the way to view things. Get direction from other people here, but as some level you will either have to find a reliable source, say a reputable book or a published paper (even then no guarantee of 100% correct) or work it out yourself. The second suggestion is very much true for mathematics and I would say basic physics. The best way to learn is by doing.

Absolutely, but I tend to think of a forum as a place for suggestions and insight rather than a place to gain factual information. I don't care if the person on the other end is God, at some point I will confirm with a text. This is quite unlike when I read a text, where I simply accept what I read until I am required to apply it in a meaningful way or I find some problem with it. It's a forum, a great place to find new ideas from people who already had them, not really a place to learn. A lot of this talk is entirely too serious, it chases people away and makes it sound like an educational facility which it is in no way that. . . .

This is in my opinion the way to view things. Get direction from other people here, but as some level you will either have to find a reliable source, say a reputable book or a published paper (even then no guarantee of 100% correct) or work it out yourself. The second suggestion is very much true for mathematics and I would say basic physics. The best way to learn is by doing.

For me this place is very much a learning resource. I understand how you two use this site, but my interest in science is more casual, and I am not going to apply it at work or in school. Everything I hear all day long I look at with a critical eye, whether it is someone's interpretation of Relativity or directions to a concert. It is not so much an overt process, but I always consider the source, weigh the risks of accepting the information as given, and determine whether further research is required or whether to just move on with what I've been told.

At this point I know the credentials of you two well enough to be comfortable accepting that what you speak of with confidence is likely correct. While I would not accept what you say without checking if I was designing a new wing for a fighter jet, I am not likely to check up on what you tell me if I only have a casual interest in it.

I don't know who to believe. I know that their credentials won't guarantee who is correct and who is not, but if I determined that one of them had a PhD in physics and the other was an avid reader of science fiction, I would have some useful information.

This is why I try and provide at least one reference when I post a statement similar to that which you refer. This isn't always possible due to time and other matters. ajb is one of the best at doing that though and he should be commended for it.

This is why I try and provide at least one reference when I post a statement similar to that which you refer. This isn't always possible due to time and other matters. ajb is one of the best at doing that though and he should be commended for it.

I think that overall the correlation between those who have a strong science background and posting useful/valid references is pretty strong.

The idea of "experts" in forums is too top-down, authoritarian and slippery-slope-ish for me. Instead, I look to forums as a discussion among colleagues etc. I think it would also be too heavy to add an "Ask the Experts" sub-forum. A "forum" means an open assembly allowing discussions, and in Latin, it means "public square" or "marketplace".

As to supporting our claims, we should provide either enough information to allow people to easily search, find and learn for themselves or provide links to a recognized authority. For example, recently in the Is race real? thread, I explicitly mentioned the term "ecogeographical rules" and gave a few examples of those rules. This easily allows people to find and read about these phenomena, to investigate further, and to decide for themselves.

As to supporting our claims, we should provide either enough information to allow people to easily search, find and learn for themselves or provide links to a recognized authority.

Unless it is "common knowledge", I try to provide references where possible and appropriate.

I think that overall the correlation between those who have a strong science background and posting useful/valid references is pretty strong.

Except, perhaps, if you call yourself Brian Cox. :rolleyes:

In general if you have a question and need a definitive answer:

If it is about science, ask a scientist.

If it is about engineering, ask an engineer.

If it is about accounting, ask an accountant.

If it is about cooking, ask a cook.

If it is about philosopy, ............................... you are screwed

Edited by DrRocket

See what Swansont has started! This is not going to go away any time soon. LOL!

I would say the Brian started it with his mistaken statement in video and in print. I just pointed it out.

To be fair, though, I don't think that one error should quash anyone's credibility. The issue is that when you get up on the stage, you leave yourself open to scrutiny and criticism. You have to deal with that.