Wikipedia blacked out for 24hrs

immortal

What the hell is going on?

Imagine a World

Without Free KnowledgeFor over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

Make your voice heard

WP_SOPA_sm_icon_facebook_dedede.png

FacebookWP_SOPA_sm_icon_gplus_dedede.png

Google+WP_SOPA_sm_icon_twitter_dedede.png

Twitter

Imagine a World

Without Free KnowledgeFor over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

Make your voice heard

WP_SOPA_sm_icon_facebook_dedede.png

FacebookWP_SOPA_sm_icon_gplus_dedede.png

Google+WP_SOPA_sm_icon_twitter_dedede.png

Twitter

It explains it all in the Learn more link,

You can still get onto the french wiki with a bit of forced browsing and use google translate to read it :D

What the hell is going on with the blackout, or what the hell is going on with idiotic legislation that places corporations above people, can be horribly abused and shows a stunning ignorance of this thing we call the internet?

It's a result of this:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/62511-sopa/

SOPA particularly would make it very dangerous for a website like Wikipedia to remain in operation. As soon as a copyright holder makes a complaint that it's harboring copyrighted content, Wikipedia's payment processor would be required to stop processing funds for Wikipedia. No court order or judicial review required -- it must be done within 5 days of the complaint, which is sent directly to the payment processor.

What the hell is going on with the blackout, or what the hell is going on with idiotic legislation that places corporations above people, can be horribly abused and shows a stunning ignorance of this thing we call the internet?

I was shocked for the former as well as for the latter reasons.

It shows also the fragility of the Internet.

Just because the owner of Wikipedia is upset with some forth coming legislation, he shuts the site off. It's kind of reaction to "I will make you shut up",

no you will not, I will shut up.

It is well understood that the closing is a way to adertise opposition, and I suppose the goal has been reached. But it shows also how easily a Web empire can be shut down.

I used to ramble on another Forum some years ago, till the day the entire site disappeared. Fortunately it appeared back a few months later, but it was a schock.

That's all suspended by a string.*

*do we say that in English?

Edited by michel123456

I understand the point that wiki is trying to make, but is it really going to accomplish anything more than prolonging one's ignorance for a day? Will it serve as a point to be taken seriously by those who can vote down this new absurd law? Do those elites in Washington even use wiki? And if not, how the point reach those law makers in a way that they will take seriously? I'm all for the voting down of this law but I feel that other options would be more effective, although I don't know what they would be right off hand.

SOPA particularly would make it very dangerous for a website like Wikipedia to remain in operation. As soon as a copyright holder makes a complaint that it's harboring copyrighted content, Wikipedia's payment processor would be required to stop processing funds for Wikipedia.

So an entire supermarket (or supermarket chain) should be shut down after someone complains about a dented can or wilted head of lettuce being sold at a store. Same idiotic logic that a court would quickly find to be unconstitutional.

So an entire supermarket (or supermarket chain) should be shut down after someone complains about a dented can or wilted head of lettuce being sold at a store. Same idiotic logic that a court would quickly find to be unconstitutional.

SOPA officially states that the site must be "dedicated to the theft of US property" for a copyright owner to make such a request of payment processors, but there is no court order or review involved, and the payment processor gets legal immunity for its actions, so it has no reason to investigate.

PROTECT IP is slightly better in that it requires a court order, but it is still incredibly vague in its terms, and most sites could not afford to mount a legal defense.

I contacted my legislators and told them not to make the SOPA and PIPA bills overly broad, constitutionally vague, unnecessarily restrictive etc.

There's something called "legislative intent" in referring to what the legislators intend the law to do, which is later called "the spirit of the law". It's when the "the letter of the law" — that is, what the canonized code says literally, can be (and usually is) somewhat different, which can be used beyond the lawmakers' intentions.

This dissonance can be one of the head points in cases that question a law. One side argues the (original) legislative intent, while the other side argues the law's appropriate application to (subsequent, current and future) conditions unseen or not considered when the law was written.

There's also something called "legal fiction" that's very important in law. Generally, a party asks, "What if this situation were to fall under this law?". British legal historian Sir Henry Maine in his Ancient Law (1861) gave an example where a Roman court might consider giving a right of Roman citizens to the Roman Empire's non-Roman citizens. A "what if" question. How would it benefit, how would it harm?

I understand the point that wiki is trying to make, but is it really going to accomplish anything more than prolonging one's ignorance for a day? Will it serve as a point to be taken seriously by those who can vote down this new absurd law? Do those elites in Washington even use wiki? And if not, how the point reach those law makers in a way that they will take seriously? I'm all for the voting down of this law but I feel that other options would be more effective, although I don't know what they would be right off hand.

Maybe... maybe not.

But YOU are in a position to vote for who makes the decisions in Washington.

Figure out who's making this law, and do not vote for them. SOPA is moronic.

I'm not living in the USA, so I just have to hope that America doesn't destroy the internet. I have no democratic power, but I might well be a victim if some publishing company with a commercial encyclopedia decides to gain back some market shares by shutting down wikipedia. From an economic standpoint, any publishing company with encyclopedias is stupid not to at least try. And SOPA pretty much guarantees success.

My first thought would be that major companies would host sites overseas to escape the legislation? If this is insufficient some big companies may even shift ownership to another country??

However my reason for commenting was simply- If it happens again, and you want to use wiki- just turn of "enable javascript" in your browser, as it was simply a script (im guessing called by a central CSS code) that "blacked out" the page in the first place. Just remember to re-enable before using script based pages like facebook.

However my reason for commenting was simply- If it happens again, and you want to use wiki- just turn of "enable javascript" in your browser, as it was simply a script (im guessing called by a central CSS code) that "blacked out" the page in the first place. Just remember to re-enable before using script based pages like facebook.

The script will display a message by default saying "Enable your javascript on this browser to see an important message" when that option is disabled, isn't it? Are you sure that we can access wiki or any other website like this when the website is blacked out by a javascript code? Does it work?

Ok, so people found work rounds.

So what?

The point wasn't to stop people using WIKI, it was to make them think about the silly legislation.

If they really wanted to close it down they could just switch off the servers.

How much use would disabling scripts be then?

Ok, so people found work rounds.

So what?

The point wasn't to stop people using WIKI, it was to make them think about the silly legislation.

If they really wanted to close it down they could just switch off the servers.

How much use would disabling scripts be then?

My point was so that all the people put out by it could know for next time. I use wiki for quick varification of info on the fly rather than shifting through google sites and papers trying to find what is probably 'assumed' anyway- so I understand how much quicker using a work around can be compared to searching the literature and thought I would share for others that MAY be interested.

As for the political stance, analoguous bills haven't passed before- why should they pass now anyway? I'ld take it they just wanted to hype it up a bit- probably made the news, it made facebook... nothing like a bit of free publicity. And if the point wasn't to stop people using wiki- then why didn't they have a link so once you were inconvienced by the add you could move on to required information? They stated their point was to block out the information for a day in protest (bla bla bla politics, sopa etc)- not close the site down and if you turned off the server there wouldn't be an ad to alert us to 'it's sopa fault' in the first place. I really don't understand where your argument lies.

Edit: Immortal- It worked in firefox. Dunno bout IE might be a bit tempremental? Haven't used it in ages.

Edited by Suxamethonium

My first thought would be that major companies would host sites overseas to escape the legislation? If this is insufficient some big companies may even shift ownership to another country??

The whole point of SOPA is to target overseas websites which sell counterfeit products or illicit movies. It achieves that by cutting off their sources of funding. If you want to host overseas, you also have to use an overseas payment processor and advertising agency.

The whole point of SOPA is to target overseas websites which sell counterfeit products or illicit movies. It achieves that by cutting off their sources of funding. If you want to host overseas, you also have to use an overseas payment processor and advertising agency.

I would assume, it only seeks to elliminate funding from or through America? To me that implies that America, once again, seems to feel that the world somehow centralises around them. To be honest, I always thought the biggest buyer in pirate copies and such were countries of the European continent (this is pure conjecture- just the impression that I got growing up).

I would assume, it only seeks to elliminate funding from or through America? To me that implies that America, once again, seems to feel that the world somehow centralises around them. To be honest, I always thought the biggest buyer in pirate copies and such were countries of the European continent (this is pure conjecture- just the impression that I got growing up).

A large amount of the revenues that on line companies will receive, whether through googleads etc. paypal and creditcard transactions, US$ payments will have to be routed to an extent via a US based company (even if it seems that the deal is completely outside USA). The practical worry (apart from the obvious ones...) from those outside the USA about SOPA was that eg. a UK website (based and catering for UK residents) could be effectively closed by the actions of a US court with no prior representation or notice. I think one bit of fallout from SOPA will be the establishment of non-US based parallel revenue streams/routing to avoid this being a problem again.

Ah ok, makes a bit more sense. But I still feel that if the bill passed there would be adequate international companies to find work arounds... From the seemingly legitimate companies put out by it, it sounds like its just going to stuff up the american economy even more. O.o Haha- I hate politics...