Suits are not practical at all

CaptainPanic

Who came up with the idea that a business suit is the men's fashion in business?

I don't so much object wearing the shirt, jacket or pants... I have a problem with cleaning it. You cannot even put your own suit into your own washing machine. It has to go to a dry cleaners! Come on! How stupid is that? And the shirt is the only piece of clothing that I have that requires ironing.

A century ago it may not have been a problem to wear some clothes which take a massive effort to clean. People who wore suits over a century ago had personnel to do that for them. But they had the income to be able to afford such personnel too. I don't, but etiquettes still say I have to wear a suit occasionally.

I find myself going to a dry cleaners occasionally to bring or pick up a suit after work. It's expensive (relative to washing things myself) and time consuming (I already have a busy life).

I do not think that fashion is likely to change soon. But why can't we use modern fabrics that you can just wash yourself? I own a lot of clothing (jeans, t-shirts, sweaters) that you can just hang to dry and wear. No ironing needed. The fabric straightens by itself.

Can someone please start using some other materials to make suits so that I can just wash them myself? Thanks in advance.

People who wore suits over a century ago had personnel to do that for them. But they had the income to be able to afford such personnel too.

You don't have servants! You poor bastard. How do you get meals?

You don't have servants! You poor bastard. How do you get meals?

Good point. I go out to places where (admittedly) other people have prepared my food... or I go to a supermarket where (again) other people have already invested a lot of time to get my food there in a form that's easy to prepare.

Somehow I consider it an acceptable waste of time and money to go and get food (instead of growing, harvesting, cleaning and preparing it myself), but when it comes to washing my clothes, I'd rather use my machine at home. Weird? Maybe.

-----------

* Vote for me as your next president, and I promise free servants for everyone.

I am not a conspiracy theorist normally - but I think the US government has the secret formula for the machine washable suit in the same top secret facility that they keep the everlasting light-bulb, the formula for free petrol, and the never-ending gobstopper.

The dry cleaning of quality garments is a problem. I have a few nice jackets and trousers that state dry clean only. I totally support the request for suits that are machine washable.

:)

I do not think that fashion is likely to change soon. But why can't we use modern fabrics that you can just wash yourself? I own a lot of clothing (jeans, t-shirts, sweaters) that you can just hang to dry and wear. No ironing needed. The fabric straightens by itself.

Can someone please start using some other materials to make suits so that I can just wash them myself? Thanks in advance.

I must admit to feeling a bit of disappointment that the group here didn't at least validate the premise. You CAN buy washable suits.

http://dadcash.com/machine-washable-suits-why-im-a-big-fan/

I must admit to feeling a bit of disappointment that the group here didn't at least validate the premise. You CAN buy washable suits.

http://dadcash.com/machine-washable-suits-why-im-a-big-fan/

I checked it (in Dutch) because I actually just went to the drycleaners (again) and gave them my money (again). Therefore, I searched in my local area. I got no hits that made sense... perhaps I should have tried it in English too before posting it here.

Because of your post, I searched again, and I'll be damned. Instead of just advertising it as it is, the Dutch stores call it "Wash & Wear" (in English!). Who would search for that? Silly marketing strategies that use English terms all the time... tsk.

English speaking people might not be aware, but in non-English speaking countries, it's quite common to use English terms for marketing reasons. Makes it sound more hip or fashionable.

Anyway, I even found out that (they claim that) you don't even have to iron the suits after washing. That would save a lot of time and money... I'm gonna get one next time I go shopping.

It's my understanding that you can get away with dry cleaning a suit only every few months, while washing the shirts you wear under it more often, since the shirts will bear the brunt of the grunge for you.

There are also iron-free dress shirts, although sometimes they look rather shiny and weird. Perhaps they're getting better at it these days. I'd similarly be slightly suspicious of machine-washable suits, in case they're made of polyester or something.

Of course, some day in the future we'll all just have personal robots that dry-clean our clothes and shine our shoes automatically. Then we'll just have to complain about how the robots aren't dishwasher-safe.

Well getting dirt on a suit is annoying. And repeated dry cleaning really messes it up over time. I have not yet seen washable suits in stores yet, though.

But what about ties? It is almost impossible to get stains off the silk!

But then suits are not supposed to be practical. They are like high-heels for men with lower risk of spine injury.

Edited by CharonY

English speaking people might not be aware, but in non-English speaking countries, it's quite common to use English terms for marketing reasons. Makes it sound more hip or fashionable.

I for one find this hilarious. Particularly the 'hip' part. Not that english speaking countries are immune from using other languages in advertising to achieve a certain appearance.

I'll be buying a machine washable suit next time too. I hate the dry cleaners.

I am not a conspiracy theorist normally - but I think the US government has the secret formula for the machine washable suit in the same top secret facility that they keep the everlasting light-bulb, the formula for free petrol, and the never-ending gobstopper.

They stole it from my mind, even though I was wearing a tinfoil hat. They have they ability to penetrate tinfoil!

Well getting dirt on a suit is annoying. And repeated dry cleaning really messes it up over time. I have not yet seen washable suits in stores yet, though.

But what about ties? It is almost impossible to get stains off the silk!

Ironic that that ties used to be napkins/bibs.

They stole it from my mind, even though I was wearing a tinfoil hat. They have they ability to penetrate tinfoil!

You could join the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and become a Pastafarian. This would entitle you wear a colander on your head which,

if made of thicker metal, might better protect you from "Them" stealing your ideas. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

Edited by TonyMcC

Ironic that that ties used to be napkins/bibs.

Indeed. I pretty much find ties to be the silliest part of the attire.

This would entitle you wear a colander on your head which,

if made of thicker metal, might better protect you from "Them" stealing your ideas.

But wouldn't ideas just drip through the holes?

Sometimes I feel like ties are just pre-tied hangman's nooses. So when your boss decides to string you up, the noose is already around your neck.

That is why I prefer self-releasing knots.

Sometimes I feel like ties are just pre-tied hangman's nooses. So when your boss decides to string you up, the noose is already around your neck.

Beauty of clip-ons.

I for one find this hilarious. Particularly the 'hip' part. Not that english speaking countries are immune from using other languages in advertising to achieve a certain appearance.

Seconded.