Cryogenically Freezing Patients: Hope or Hoax?

Just recently, the son of Baseball great Ted Williams had his deceased father "frozen" in expectation of a future revival. At a cost of $120,000, one could have "whold-body freeze"; or for the cheap a "head freeze" for $50,000.

Here’s how the procedure is done:

After a declaration of death, the body is put on a heart-lung machine for transfer to the freezing facility. The body is cooled in an ice bath, the blood is replaced with a preservative solution, and as much water as possible is drawn out from the remains — so as to avoid cellular damage from ice crystals.

Then the body (or just the head) is cooled to around 320 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, using a liquid-nitrogen cryogenic system, and stored in a vacuum chamber until scientists figure out how to revive the body and repair the damage. (The longer you wait to start the process, the higher the chance of cell damage.)

Now my question...Is there any chance at all that this could work?

It is expected that scientists will develop nanoscale robots that could course through the bloodstream, repairing the cellular damage caused by post-death deterioration and the freezing process.

Eventually, the fantasy world of the widely known Terminator movie series, will come true. We [those who "freeze" themselves] will become no longer of human origin, but created of silicone internals. Our soul (for those who believe in God) will have already left the body, and our bloodstream full of "nanocsale robots". It seems to me that scientists seem to play the role of God fairly well, or so it seems.

It is hoped that in the future, a patient will be able to be revived for as little as $3.

Simpsons Quote: "We've frozen Mr. Burns until the scientists develope a cure for 14 stab wounds to the back"

It's been done.

Not on humans yet, but some species of frogs have been cryogenically frozen and then brought back; with seemingly the same personality and everything else. It might take 100 years or more to get to humans, but eventually I think we'll get there, though the initial cost of revival will be alot higher than the cost of freezing.

hat would be kind of cool. To be brought back to life. But kenel does have a point. You wont be you anymore. Youll be something else. Your soul will be gone, but just a body to remain. I don't know about you. But when I die, I most likely want to remain dead.

maybe...

• 3 weeks later...

what's a soul then? how heavy are they, and can I have one?

interesting point about computer storage blike... it would be a good copy of you, but it wouldn't be you. but then could the same be said for each time you go to bed at night, you fall into a state of unconsciousness, and wake up in the morning, but is that still the you from yesterday?

If the "soul" actually exists, and turns out not be be metaphorical, I don't believe we'd be able to transfer it via computer sectors. According to Catholic Faith, the soul is what makes us unique from each other...aside from visual appearance, and genes. If we implant data into bodies without souls, (again, catholic faith) it will not still be the same person.

I think if you reactivate the brain and it can generate the same fields around it while it processes information then the soul or personaity should be right back where it left off. The person should be there again, just awakened.

Just aman

• 1 year later...
Guest chiwawa

the whole freezing thing would be cool. but why freeze them after they die? i dont get how it would work. and for some reason i dont think that was god. call me crazy :rolleyes:

Guest Umi Chan

I am a good Roman Catholic, but I say that I think this is possible. But then again, that may also be coming from my otaku (someone who's obsessed with anime/manga) self. Also, it is what I hope. And, seeing as how our earth is so quickly turning into a human garbage can, I got an idea from an anime. Buuut, I'm not gonna say it. At least right now, anyways. Maybe later.

• 3 months later...
If the "soul" actually exists,

From what I've come to understand, it seems the soul, such as reffered to in the bible, is merely ones blood. I might can dig up some support for this if need be.

Anyhow, the brain is a neat thing, which we still don't fully understand. It is said that things on the quantum level take place within the brain. Anyhow, much like if I unplug my computer, (assuming I turned it off properly) and months later plugged it back up, I would suspect all my data would remain. Everything that makes my computer what it is would remain.

From the view that our brains our simply the most complex computer availible, I think one could perfectly expect to be yourself after being revived from the deep freeze.

Kinda like the teleportation issue. Assuming teleportation is perfected to the point of sending humans, the original is destroyed, and the information is converted, sent, and rebuilt at the destination. The copy would have all of the original memorys, but would it be the same person?

Also, what if the original was not destroyed?

I guess we won't know until we bring someone back from the dead. It might end up like a resident evil/ Animator type scenario???

Has anyone told those people who were clinically dead for minutes or even hours (cold death) and then revived that they don't have a soul? How long of a period of time do you have to be dead for your soul to refuse to come back? If you have a soul that stays with you when you’re dead for 2 minutes why wouldn't it do the same thing after 200 years?

In order to bring people back after they have been cryogenically frozen they just have to figure out how to do it so that it causes very little cellular damage and figure out how to repair all the cellular damage that was done after they died. Plus know how to fix what was wrong with them in the first place. Which is no easy task.

It's been done.

Not on humans yet' date=' but some species of frogs have been cryogenically frozen and then brought back; with seemingly the same personality and everything else. It might take 100 years or more to get to humans, but eventually I think we'll get there, though the initial cost of revival will be alot higher than the cost of freezing.[/quote']

do you know the procedure that was done, i have an idea on how to bring the dead back to life, but i wan't to see if it's anywhere near correct.

and those who are pondering on the soul thing, maybee when the body's frozen, the soul is frozen and trapped inside the body?

and some people who have been in a coma, claim to have been to heaven, seen god, and founded themselves back in the body once they reawakened.