Cryogenically Freezing Patients: Hope or Hoax?

It's been done.

Not on humans yet' date=' but some species of frogs have been cryogenically frozen and then brought back; with seemingly the same personality and everything else. It might take 100 years or more to get to humans, but eventually I think we'll get there, though the initial cost of revival will be alot higher than the cost of freezing.[/quote']

I know there is a type of cricket that freezes itself completely over the winter. Then when it's warm it thaws and goes back to its normal life.

Water bears are also very resiliant. They've survived in stasus for 1000s of years. One in a dried out, fossolized peice of moss came back to life when water was added.

Re the frogs. It isn't something we cleverly managed to do to the frogs, it's something the frogs have been doing themselves for millions of years. We just wanted to know how. They hibernate in shallow burrows which drop bleow zero. Although the frogs freeze and often become coated in ice, they survive and revive when the thaw comes.

if you do manage to bring something back to life, i would imagine that it would be in a way not much unlike in the Frankenstein movies, the electricity should start up the brain, and when the brain is working, then the heart (if given some electricity of it's own) should be able to start up again, like what paramedics do with those metal electric things

so it's not actualy criogenics, or bringing anything back to life.

Correct! It's simply nature. These creature have been doing this themselves for thousands of years. Of course, scientists are studying them in hopes of figuring out how they do it. Maybe if we figure that out we can figure out how to cryogenically freeze a human.

Perhaps if at the last hours of their life before they are frozen their brainwaves could be measured and stored into their computer, when you wanted to wake them up pump the signals back in, thus creating the same train of thought you had as when you died,

(I apologise if this is a Niave (if i spelt it correctly?) answer, it just came to me and is not based on any research.)

• 4 years later...

correct me if im wrong, but regarding souls still sitting while a body is frozen and the soul being awaken once the body is awaken, i believe the answer is yes. There is a story, I quote from speaker Osho " The story is about one great yogi, very famous, who was promised by a king that if he could go into deep samadhi(its a form of hypnosis like when prisoners fake their death to escape blah) and remain under earth for one year, the king would give him the best horse in the kingdom as a reward. The king knew that the yogi had a soft heart for horses, he was a great lover of horses. The yogi agreed; he was buried alive for a year. But in the course of the year the kingdom was overthrown andnobody remembered to dig up the yogi. About ten years later someone remembered: 'What happened to the yogi?' The king sent a few people to find out. The yogi was dug up; he was still in his deep trance. A previously-agreed-to mantra was whispered in his ear and he was roused, and the first thing he said was, 'Where is my horse?'"

I know this is a story of being buried and about thinking of horses but I can relate being buried to being frozen and the thinking of horses as a desire from the soul, the soul wanted the horses hence the soul is still there upon awaking and probably even more powerful considering your ego has been damper ed.

PS. I just watched vanilla sky thats why im here. hellow.:)

If the "soul" actually exists, and turns out not be be metaphorical, I don't believe we'd be able to transfer it via computer sectors. According to Catholic Faith, the soul is what makes us unique from each other...aside from visual appearance, and genes. If we implant data into bodies without souls, (again, catholic faith) it will not still be the same person.

Also, it does boil down to religion because according to hindu faith you are resurrected your body is a vessel and the soul goes on

What the yogi purportedly did was to slow his biological processes or suspended animation (similar to hibernation), some people can do this to an amazing degree. What cryonics does is completely stop all biological processes, or death (at least until a host of technical problems are overcome).

***Note cryonics is the freezing of a body, cryogenics is the study of any form of matter at low teperatures.

What the yogi purportedly did was to slow his biological processes or suspended animation (similar to hibernation), some people can do this to an amazing degree. What cryonics does is completely stop all biological processes, or death (at least until a host of technical problems are overcome).

***Note cryonics is the freezing of a body, cryogenics is the study of any form of matter at low teperatures.

Hmm thank you for the interesting explanation. :doh: I found this forum from googling cryogenics and so I still wanna know, hoax or hope?

AFAIK, they have not yet found a way to protect against the damage done when the tissues and cells freeze. Ice crystals act like little spears and rupture/peirce the surroundings. This causes damage which is detrimental to your desire to wake them up later.

That's just ONE problem with the whole idea. There are a host of others which require solutions, as well.