How long do you want to live for?

GutZ

I don't want to live a day past 65. I want to see my kids do well to a point I know they can function for themselves but beyond that...put me in a grave.

Why is everyone so hung up about being alive....

It's fun and all....I don't see the appeal. I am 25 that's 40 years from now, that's like 10 off double my lifetime...It's been a long 25 years.

Is this just me or are others out there that share the same sentiment?

Obsessing over death is one thing, but I don't understand why you would want a set time limit. I'll keep going as long as my mind is lucid and my body lets me live in peace. Otherwise, maybe I'll ask myself if I want to die every hundred years or so...

I don't want to live a day past 65 [snip].... I am 25 that's 40 years from now, that's like 10 off double my lifetime...It's been a long 25 years.
With 40 years to enjoy it's easy to be so adamant. I would wager that, as you get closer to your target date, you'll easily be able to justify why living a bit longer than 65 is preferable, especially if you're hale of mind and body as others have mentioned.

Wouldn't it be a terrible waste if you were in great shape physically and mentally to just turn it all off at a certain arbitrary birthday? Besides, the first 25 years you have little status and power. Now is your time to make the next 25 years so fantastic there's no way you'd want to give it up a mere 15 years later.

maybe I'll ask myself if I want to die every hundred years or so...

I'm with that................I'm shooting for a billion+! It's my life long dream..............:cool:

I'm too scared to die.....it will take me that long to get everything I want to done!

With 40 years to enjoy it's easy to be so adamant. I would wager that, as you get closer to your target date, you'll easily be able to justify why living a bit longer than 65 is preferable, especially if you're hale of mind and body as others have mentioned.

Wouldn't it be a terrible waste if you were in great shape physically and mentally to just turn it all off at a certain arbitrary birthday? Besides, the first 25 years you have little status and power. Now is your time to make the next 25 years so fantastic there's no way you'd want to give it up a mere 15 years later.

Well it's not like I am going to off myself at 65. That's just as long as I am willing to want to stay alive.

After a while it's just going to be abundantly clear I am just organic being...I am just living for the sake of living and I never ever want that to be case. I need a reason to live beyond "I am scared to die".

Though I plan to do a lot of things and experience alot during these next 40 years or so...

If I got till 90...what can I do...it would be stupid to just end it....I am just saying I hope I don't reach that age. I don't see myself doing anything that worth waiting even longer.

After a while it's just going to be abundantly clear I am just organic being...I am just living for the sake of living and I never ever want that to be case. I need a reason to live beyond "I am scared to die".

Hey it's just more room for those of us who don't have a problem with just being an organic being............ :P

miss u, luv u............. will always keep u in our hearts :D

u crazy..........u

(Hamilton; say hi to my mom!)

Edited by buttacup

I intend to live until I decide otherwise. As for people saying we are just organic beings, where have you been living? I'm betting there will be cybernetic implants available in a couple of decades. There's already plenty of good work with prosthesis, and also some research on brain implants in animals.

Biotechnology is also moving along nicely. We now have some understanding as to the causes of aging. If they cure aging and all the ailments associated with it, I don't see why people shouldn't live thousands of years.... or until they get bored.

I intend to live until I stop breathing.

Excellent choice.............I think........... :rolleyes:

I take that back, I intend to live well beyond my last breath........I'm a transplant my consciousness into a host!

Ok then it mostly just me who feel this way. Do you think it's slightly morbid?

I certainly thought there would be more people with the same view...It's not like I have a crappy life either..

I am weird? :(

Ok then it mostly just me who feel this way. Do you think it's slightly morbid?

I certainly thought there would be more people with the same view...It's not like I have a crappy life either..

I am weird? :(

Yup! :P

As long as there are still books to read I want to live. If I go blind I'll listen to audiobooks, if I go deaf I'll learn Braille. If my fingers drop off, then hopefully there'll be some method by then of downloading the texts straight to my brain :D

I'm surprised that you think 65 years is enough, particularly since that's no age these days. I think some old people get bored with living, but not so soon as 65! My grandma died when she was 86, and believe me, she fought tooth and nail to stay alive right up to the end. Until her last few months she lived hard. She loved travelling, reading, films, partying, drinking and ordering her family around. At the end she was bedridden, couldn't feed herself or speak, but she knew when we were there, and the simple presence of her family gave her the will to live.

Don't write yourself off, and don't forget you're not the only one who cares if you stay alive. Even if you do get bored of life, you might want to stick around for the sake of your loved ones.

Right now, I'm happily helping mankind to get sustainable energy (that's my job), and happily traveling around the world (that's my hobby).

When I become really too old and when stuff becomes boring, I plan to start base jumping off steep cliffs, try heroine and cocaine, insult stupid politicians or do stuff that the bad guys in James Bond movies would be proud of... in short: do things one shouldn't do. Things that can kill you. But hey, when the end is so near, who cares? :D

I certainly don't want to end up doing crosswords every day, telling my neighbours that it's a good life and that I am never bored.

You're not alone, no. A lot of people (especially young people) think they would rather be dead than old and decrepit. Of course, usually the "and decrepit" part is the most important part, even if only implicitly. You still want to die at 65 if you're in great shape, mentally and physically? Are you afraid, like the Who ("Talkin' bout my geeeeneration!") of losing a youthful outlook and becoming The Man? Or, like Hunter S. Thompson, just want to prove that you can, as an act of freedom?