5 kilometers is like....

Phi for All

I need some help. My daughter's school has a 5K Fun Run race as a fundraiser every year, and we wanted to put some interesting facts in the school newsletter about how much 5 kilometers really is.

I'm looking for things along the line of, "5 kilometers is roughly 50 football fields", or "running 5 kilometers is like running more than half the height of the tallest mountain in the world". If you have anything you think may be intriguing or interesting to elementary school kids about 5 kilometers, please post it here. :)

5 Km or 3 miles is about the distance of the horizon (At sea level)

Thus, they will literally be running 'As far as the eye can see'

I'm sure there are many poetic interpretations pertaining to this fact.

Wouldn't that depend on how tall you are?

Yes, the horizon is the square root of 1.5 times the height of your eyes (if you measure in feet) at sea level (e.g. for someone whose eyes are six feet off the ground at sea level, sqrt (1.5 * 6) = 3 (the value is in miles)).

- 5000 meters is the distance you can casually walk in about 1 hour.

- However, the world record holder took only 12 minutes, 37 seconds and 35 hundredth of a second.

- And it's the distance an average nitrogen molecule at 25 degrees Celsius travels in 10.5 seconds (although usually not in a straight line). :D

- It's also the same as 1562.5 average male African elephants standing on each other's shoulders. I'm not sure how much time the last one needs to climb all the way up.