Effect of Violent Videogames

Video games never really made me do anything more than I normally would have, it probably helped with my dexterity, possibly. However, something that really does affect me in this manner, shows just how easy it is to do, is MMA. MMA really makes me want to take 5 minutes out on someone in front of me in traffic. If its not ground and pound then its a kimura till the guy just taps out and cries, "Alright, alright!!!!"

There's a distinct difference between playing around with a controller and the real deal.

See Kimbo Slice get his *** kicked by a white boy, down for a 30 count!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq_OQEjVwvM

I REALLY have to be carefull driving after a couple of hours on Mario Cart WII. I start getting into the mentality of bumping people off the road and throwing things at them. Also I miss the turbo slide!

As for the violence, it does make me shout things at the screen I wouldn't normally say.. :embarass:

I don't know, personally I don't think there is any connection, but that is just me.

I think it's all b.s. created by teh government.

I can't agree with you there, and...and you sound like a conspiracy theorist!

I think there is a correlation, though the person is a very large factor. Also, it's not very consistent so that a pattern is instantaneously noticeable

You use 'Teh' a tad to much...

I don't know, personally I don't think there is any connection, but that is just me.

I think it's all b.s. created by teh government.

This is a bit like saying that it's impossible to become a better pilot by practicing in flight simulators... that "flight simulators" are just a way for the government to direct money to their cronies.

Of course there is an effect, it's just impossible to blanketly state if that effect is good or bad on all people. Individual differences FAR exceed any effect of the game, but it would be inaccurate to simply state that the game has no effect.

i dunno i kinda agree with 'A Clown' i think people are generally just looking for an explanation for the increased violence in people, i think that they're so undeveloped that they can't comprehend that other people are thinking entities just like them and their underdeveloped-ness prevents them from restraining the violent streak found in humans. some people can just access it easier then others.

One thing that rarely comes up in these discussions is the difference in age and maturity of the viewer. What's appropriate for a 12 or 13 year old may not be appropriate for a 4 or 5 year old.

Game advocates have an unfortunate tendency to say either "parents shouldn't be so restrictive" or "they have other influences that will offset the negatives ones", which are absolutely valid points (IMO), but they should be taken along with a recognition that a content rating system is a valid way for parents to monitor inputs, and that system must be supported by game industry advocates and developers, and not undermined with advertising and viral marketing that encourages underdeveloped minds to circumvent parental authority.

you know thats a good point i didn't take age into consideration, though common sense should imply that you don't let little kids see violent stuff if you can avoid it. then again little kids usually show little interest in violent war games. my dad played halo and call of duty all the time but it was usually boring to me. you died too easily and he always got me on the duels. in fact i wasn't interested in any of them until i read the books. i don't think age has much to do with it. in fact i think peoples tendency towards their violent instinct is mostly genetic

(i pawn him all the time now no matter what game we're playing)

Since one y.o., I play games which I dont know if can be called "violent"... does someone know the old "Blake Stone"???

That was what I had played when I was (almost a baby) 1 y.o....

My parents were really embarrassed about me because I was like a 'computer baby', I was like an autist in front of the monitor.. someone who knew some DOS commands before talking. The result was that with 1 y.o. and six months I formatted my dad's PC.

My parents were really embarrassed about me because I was like a 'computer baby', I was like an autist in front of the monitor.. someone who knew some DOS commands before talking. The result was that with 1 y.o. and six months I formatted my dad's PC.

A true nerd! :cool: I bet you're glad to have the internet so you don't need to talk to people face to face. :D

I don't remember how old I was when I first started with computer games, but it was with DOS and I think was before I could write properly, other than the appropriate DOS commands to get a game of course.

I teach a few classes in a video games curriculum, and they really make me feel old. Most of the students were born after Star Trek: The Next Generation went on the air. No, really.

But the funny thing is, the games they all know are completely different from the ones I know. They're all console-oriented -- PS3, Xbox 360, or Wii. Their idea of video game history is the previous version of a long series that shipped three years ago for the PS2. Ugh.

I'm only 42, for pete's sake!

A true nerd! :cool: I bet you're glad to have the internet so you don't need to talk to people face to face. :D

I don't remember how old I was when I first started with computer games, but it was with DOS and I think was before I could write properly, other than the appropriate DOS commands to get a game of course.

I'm glad I have internet hahaha never liked to face people (not that I don't do it often).

I was a nerd smart baby, but it changed, I'm not smart anymore .o.

I teach a few classes in a video games curriculum, and they really make me feel old. Most of the students were born after Star Trek: The Next Generation went on the air. No, really.

But the funny thing is, the games they all know are completely different from the ones I know. They're all console-oriented -- PS3, Xbox 360, or Wii. Their idea of video game history is the previous version of a long series that shipped three years ago for the PS2. Ugh.

I'm only 42, for pete's sake!

heh i was born in the middle of all that. i remember both computer games, really old video games, and console related games.

Dang, your old. :}

Now that I'm thinking of it, what do people think of the ESRB ratings?

Personally, I think that they're nonsense. SOCOM I got rated M, and II which was just as violent, got T. And the people who rate them are normal people like teachers and parents who watch footage of the most violent or inapporopriate sections of gameplay. Note that they don't actually play it.

And it seems that standards have gone down. Half-Life got M for intense blood and gore, but Syphon Filter: Logan's shadow and some Medal of Honor games get T because they were made later and standards for M are lower.

Anyone notice this, too?

they relax me. i only play violent ones when i'm really angry at some one. after some serious zombie mangling and such, i'm usually in a much better mood.

From waaay back on page 1, but: Ditto.

Killin' monsters helps me de-stress.

Now that I'm thinking of it, what do people think of the ESRB ratings?

Personally, I think that they're nonsense. SOCOM I got rated M, and II which was just as violent, got T. And the people who rate them are normal people like teachers and parents who watch footage of the most violent or inapporopriate sections of gameplay. Note that they don't actually play it.

And it seems that standards have gone down. Half-Life got M for intense blood and gore, but Syphon Filter: Logan's shadow and some Medal of Honor games get T because they were made later and standards for M are lower.

Anyone notice this, too?

I was just thinking about that Donut, F.E.A.R. and Half-Life 2 both got M ratings, but it's obvious to see which one really deserves it (F.e.a.r.)

Half-Life has very mild blood, and a few scary things (poison headcrabs! aaaa!)

Halo 1 got M, which I find outrageous. There's no blood, except in multiplayer, there's some violence, but it's not really realistic, and it's an overall not M-deserving game.

Halo 1 got M, which I find outrageous. There's no blood, except in multiplayer, there's some violence, but it's not really realistic, and it's an overall not M-deserving game.

actually thats not true theres alot of blood in halo all three of them. halo 2 cleans it up faster though. also it would seem alot more realistic if you read the book.

You forgot the first quote box...

There is only blood in Halo 1 Multiplayer, there's only alien blood in Halo 1, and the occasional small puddle of yours.

Compared to F.E.A.R. in which I scissor-kicked some robot in the face in slow-motion and blood spurted out of his neck in giant clouds....I think it's obvious who deserves the M rating.