have i screwed up my future?

Popestar

Hi, im 17 years old and the only thing i want in life is to be a doctor, a physician...the thing is ive basically screwed up my first few years of highscool...as in, ive failed a few classes, and i averaged Ds and Cs........it was mainly because of an abusive houshold situation and drug problem i have pulled out of finally...

i really want to be a doctor more then anything in the world and i would do anything i can to become one....my parents tell me i will never become one because of my past grades, and same with my friends. i havnt spoken to my councilor but i am assuming that she well either say i can or cant, without giving me much help...

i need to know the brutally honest truth, is there any way to pull back from my screwing up in highschool and actually have a chance at becoming a physician..or should i just give up on my dreams now and look for another thing to do...please, please this is not a joke, i really dont know where else to find answers at this point....i dont feel like anyone could really be honest with me but a complete stranger.

please and thank you.

It's never too late. What you need to do is channel all of that desire and ambition into effort and planning. You know what goal you hope to achieve, now you have to bust your ass to go and get it.

I won't lie. It won't be easy, and you might fail. But if you try your hardest, and you make intelligent decisions and follow a plan... there's no reason it cannot be done. Or, you could just give up now and live with regret and feel like a loser for never even trying...

Good luck.

I take it you're a junior then?

My best advice would be to work your tail end off and see where you can get yourself. You go into medical school after four years of college and a degree, so you have five or six years to make your grades good and your record better.

Your best bet for university admission before medical school is to try to make your remaining high-school career look as good as possible and to get involved in other activities (volunteer work, etc.). I suppose if you have an interview before admission at a college you could explain your situation as well.

So, in short, don't lose hope. If you can pull things together and do better, you have a solid chance. It's all dependent on how much work you're willing to put in.

(And it's a good sign that you care enough to try to get advice from others.)

And if its your dream to be a doctor, than nothing can stop you except yourself.

Bad grades in high school don't matter to a 2 year community college. If you perform well there you can transfer to a better 4 year university, many large state schools readily take students from community colleges.

If you do well there, and do good on the MCATs then getting into Med school will be no problem.

Goofing off in high school can't stop you, it'll just slow you down a bit.

But what's an extra 2 years when it lets you accomplish your dreams?

Go for it! You're only 17!

I'm not sure about the school systems in the USA (assuming you live there)... in the Netherlands it would be possible, although you'd have some delays. Plenty of people have a delay in their school-careers at some point. It's part of being young. It's good that you've learned from it already. (I would say you're an early learner... most start doing stupid stuff once they go to university here, out of their parents' protection).

Two things you need to do:

1. Work hard

2. Show motivation and interest to those who need to help you (don't slime, don't show off, just show motivation and interest).

I feel this for you my friend. Never think that you cannot make it. Yesterday I read about Craig Venter, a guy who didn't use to have good school marks and made a revolution in science. Having fun, hanging around and enjoying life is just as important as learning and having good marks.

I'm a high school student too. I do have good marks, but sometimes I get crazy with my teachers. They always have these stupid ways of putting you down. I know how that feels. But don't worry man. Just pay attention to the subjects you will need (chemistry and biology) and try to learn things rationally. Don't take for granted everything your teachers say, or everything that is written in the book. Do things in the way you want to, just get to real answers. That will make your scientific abilities creative. And work hard, but never overwork. That will mess you completely, believe me!

Keep going bro, you gonna make it!

Cheers,

Shade

And if its your dream to be a doctor, than nothing can stop you except yourself.

That is a little dreamy, IMO. Not everyone can become a doctor. Certainly, if you have the potential and you put forth effort and be nice to some influential people, many things are possible.

Always have a plan B in the back of your mind. If you can't make it into a Med school, maybe nursing or something else will work. Life should not be looked upon as a sport. If you do your best and fail, you are not just a loser. You just need to find another path that might not look as pretty, but might be the best one after all.

Keep in mind I am not saying to not try or that you cannot make it. Just that not everyone can be what they dream to be and that it is not a travesty to find something else.

You're still young. You can become a doctor if you really want to, but it would be harder than it would if you had gotten good grades at school. However, make sure that the reason you got those bad grades really was the situation that you say has been taken care of. If you are just making excuses for yourself, you may find that your grades don't improve even if you don't have the drug problem and abusive household. If you work hard, there is no reason that you can't become a doctor.

No, you haven't screwed up your future. Admissions committees for medical schools (and, yes, I've served on one) do not look at high school grades. They only look at college.

What you have possibly missed is the ability to get into a top-ranked college directly out of high school. Buckle down and get really good grades during your junior year and first semester of senior year, do well on the SAT's (start studying now!), and write a good personal statement. Also go the extra mile with your teachers so they write you good letters of recommendation.

Even if you don't get into a 4 year college, you aren't finished. Find the best community college around -- even if you have to move to go there -- and attend it. Get really good grades and then transfer to a 4 year college to finish up.

We had several interviewees for orthopedic residency (and that is very competitive) that took the community college - 4 year college - medical school route.

And, of course, once you are in medical school no one cares about your college grades. All that matters is how well you do in med school.

I'm out of touch with today's education requirements, but in business, if I saw someone's resume and saw that they pulled themselves out of a nosedive and managed to work hard to overcome past mistakes, I'd actually hire that person over an equally qualified person who had no problems. Someone who perseveres through adversity and overcomes huge obstacles is a wiser, more accomplished person that appreciates the benefits of what they've achieved.

I'm out of touch with today's education requirements, but in business, if I saw someone's resume and saw that they pulled themselves out of a nosedive and managed to work hard to overcome past mistakes, I'd actually hire that person over an equally qualified person who had no problems. Someone who perseveres through adversity and overcomes huge obstacles is a wiser, more accomplished person that appreciates the benefits of what they've achieved.

It works the same way in academia. In admission committee discussions they are often referred to as "late bloomers". During an interview the individual will be asked for the reason for the early bad grades.

I remember a couple of years ago we interviewed a candidate for residency who had done really badly the first year of medical school -- nearly flunked out. Then he did really well his last 3 years. When we asked him about it, he replied "I'm from Montana and had never lived away from home. There I was in Hawaii with sun, the beach, and lots of girls in bikinis." We gave him a very high rank.

you could be a doctor if you pull ur life together if ur friends tell u, u cant be a doctor f**k em u dont need that go to med school it probly wont be the best but med school is med school so ull still technically be a doctor... do wat ya gota do man!

“Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.”~Erma Bombeck

Absolutely!

A success that contains few failures is more valuable than success with no failure!

you could be a doctor if you pull ur life together if ur friends tell u, u cant be a doctor f**k em u dont need that go to med school it probly wont be the best but med school is med school so ull still technically be a doctor... do wat ya gota do man!
Normally I send a private message requesting that a member refrain from text speak on a science forum, but you have turned off that capability.

We have lots of members from around the world and English is a second language to many. Clear communication is critical here so please, no more text speak. You'll find that no one will take your comments seriously if you continue, and many Mods will simply delete your posts.

Thanks for understanding. :)

Hi, im 17 years old and the only thing i want in life is to be a doctor, a physician...the thing is ive basically screwed up my first few years of highscool...as in, ive failed a few classes, and i averaged Ds and Cs........it was mainly because of an abusive houshold situation and drug problem i have pulled out of finally...

i really want to be a doctor more then anything in the world and i would do anything i can to become one....my parents tell me i will never become one because of my past grades, and same with my friends. i havnt spoken to my councilor but i am assuming that she well either say i can or cant, without giving me much help...

i need to know the brutally honest truth, is there any way to pull back from my screwing up in highschool and actually have a chance at becoming a physician..or should i just give up on my dreams now and look for another thing to do...please, please this is not a joke, i really dont know where else to find answers at this point....i dont feel like anyone could really be honest with me but a complete stranger.

please and thank you.

To echo what others have said, medical schools don't care about your high school records. If you can't get into a university, go to a community college for a year or two. Do well and transfer to a university to finish your degree. Work hard, good luck!

how can i ever raise a 1.3 gpa up to 3.0+ in 1.5 years left of highschool and 2 years of community college...is that even possible??? i know i can get strait A's, but i dont know if i can raise my average high enough

From what I understand of the US system, you gpa will start again from nothing when you start community college...

how can i ever raise a 1.3 gpa up to 3.0+ in 1.5 years left of highschool and 2 years of community college...is that even possible??? i know i can get strait A's, but i dont know if i can raise my average high enough

I think the reality of it is that you can at least raise your current gpa. Its not only this but the medical field has many specializations. So with that in mind you can have more options really to choose from in regards to higher education.

I would simply look around at say state universities even. You could also attend a local community college and graduate with honors with a two year degree, this would open up more options in regards to a university. A simple point is most large biology departments offer medical science orientated undergraduate degrees. Most of those programs are designed to prepare for transfer to more purely medical science programs for say graduate studies.

I do think though that you might also have to work at that same time unless you favor using loans a lot.

Popestar,

At 17 I'm sure your GPA looks like a big obstacle. At 27 you will wonder why you were so concerned. Lots of people go the community college, university, then graduate school route. When you succeed in becoming a doctor, the name of the university on your diploma won't have much of an impact on your life. Stop worrying about the past and just focus on your future. Work to make it bright. The effort you have to put in form this point forward really won't be any more difficult than your current classmates holding 4.0 GPAs. You live in a country that lets you start over a million times. Relax.

Adults in our life that are not telling you this should be ignored.

Popestar,

I can honestly say that I've never been on a job interview where they asked me anything whatsoever about high school. Once you are in college, you start fresh, and all of your grades begin your freshman year. So, if you're serious, it's not too late.

Also, I've never conducted a job interview where I said to the applicant,

"Well, you seem to have done quite well in biology, you have an amazing understanding of anatomy and genetics... but Wait Just One Minute, there mister... You did poorly in High School? Nope... I'm sorry, you're really not what we're looking for. This impressive college history is worth nothing now that we know you did poorly before college."

:D

that what ive been planning on doing, a community college, i cant thank you guys enough for what all of you have said, its a lot more inspiring then you could ever even know, i really do belive now one day i will become a great doctor, ive never been so inspired to do something in my entire life before this, never. i feel like i really am gonna make it, its like nothing i have ever felt before, lol, i cried not because im sad, because i know im gonna do something with my life now. i really, really do aprecate everything guys....thank you so much.