What's your field?

CDarwin

Which options would you consider your specialty?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which options would you consider your specialty?

• Cosmology/Astronomy
    • Psychology
    • Physics
    • Mathematics
    • Chemistry
    • Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
    • Microbiology
    • Zoology
    • Ecology/Evolutionary Biology
    • Botany
    • Geology
    • Palaeontology
    • Anthropology
    • Sociology
    • Other- Please Specify
    • Medicine
    • Computer Science
    • Engineering

I'm curious as to the primary fields of interest of some of our students and practicing scientists. So if you will, choose the option that best fits your major or specialty as a researcher. I've tried to be fairly comprehensive, but I realize that there might be a few more options in the life, social, and earth sciences as those are really what I know about.

My degree is MPhys Quantum Science and Lasers, so it's basically physics, my project is Magneto-Optical Spectroscopy of thin films (some spintronics), I've also done research in visible domain meta-materials, optical bio-photonics, looking at 3d photonic crystals in animals, and a week on Monday, some more spintronics, magnetism and lasers stuff...

Environmental biology, still have a way to go, mainly from bouncing around. To be honest I started in computer science, went to chemistry, then thought about biochem, then simply ended up where I am at now. I think its safe to say its where I will stay. I have no idea about education past the B.S level, there is a microbio program and a wildlife bio program I have spent about twenty minutes looking at, but such is to far off for any real thought.

Bah, I forgot embryology too. And computer science. Environmental Biology can go into ecology, though, can't it?

I don’t see why not on the environmental biology tip. I don’t even know why its called that save I think its because I have to take more environmental science classes along with for some reason I am yet to fully understand a good chunk of geology., speaking of geology…

well. mine would be entomology. but i'm not in University yet so no decree on that...

but i do have a nice collection of orthoptera :D

Oh, come now, you could call that zoology. Work with me here a little.

Thank you moderators for adding things. :)

And just to make sure Anthropology doesn't get left completely by the curb, I'm going to put that. I've taken one college course it in... I know my dowries from my bride prices and my Proconsul from my Palaeopropithecus. I like to think I'm freshman caliber at least.

well i would not say that zoology is mine because i actually am interested in bugs only . sorry to say but for example i dont know a thing about mammals (well not more than anyone else) and i thought that zoology is to wide term for me. i hope i did not hurt anyone :eyebrow: